STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: March

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 14/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

Korea | United States Communication

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018

1606507713954.png

1200px-Emblem_of_South_Korea.png

255px-Flag_of_South_Korea.png

To: D. Secretary of State Charlie Price <@Odinson>
CC: Leesookhyuck@mofa.kr.gov, Shinpyeongjin@mond.kr.gov
BCC ForeignMinister <Baekjeonghee.mofa.kr.gov> DefenseMinister <ParkHyunjin@mond.kr.gov

Subject: Communique from the Republic of Korea |

Security: Private and encrypted | Protected by the NIS and MoFA DPB
To The Honorable Deputy Secretary of State,

Her Honorable, the Minister of Foreign Affairs extends her greetings and best of wishes on behalf of the President of the Republic of Korea to President Gore and his respected cabinet. We hope that you may extend our formal greetings to the Secretary and the President.

The Republic of Korea is eager to re-establish a vigorous, advanced, friendly, and cooperative relations with the United States. The close bond and friendship shared by our nation over our common pursuit for peace and freedom of opportunity and adventure. We hope to re-establish a strong cooperative friendship that allows us both to expand the ability of our citizens to thrive and live a dignified life. His Excellency the President of the Republic of Korea would like to arrange a timeline for a phone call with his Excellency the President of the United States. It is our hope that prior to this call our respective cabinet members for Foreign Affairs and Defense may be able to meet to arrange the pre-call arrangements on foreign policy questions, defense cooperation, arms sales, and trade to provide a smooth interaction between our respective heads of state.

The Foreign Minister hopes that the role of the United States in maintaining prosperity and friendship across Asia will remain a key pillar of our cooperation. The Foreign Minister has instructed the Korean Embassy in Washington D.C. to act with the utmost support to ensure an easy facilitation of official dialogue, cooperation, and agreements between our parties and equally is eager to work with the American Embassy in Seoul in the same regard. We hope to see continued support for Korean reunification, containment of the threat from North Korea, and US meditation in maintaining the current status of relations between Korea and Japan. The Korean people continue to remember the shared sacrifices of our two countries, and continue with open arms to accept the visits paid by your citizens. I look foward to working closely with you to arrange the official call between the Minister and your Foreign Secretary and my counterpart at the Ministry of National Defense, Shin Pyeongjin likewise hopes to meet soon with your counterpart at the Defense Department.

Signed with sincerity,
Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs
Chae Songha
Republic of Korea

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018

1920px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

1024px-U.S._Department_of_State_official_seal.svg.png

67ka0nc.png
[TR][TD]

OFFICE OF
THE DEPUTY SECRETARY OF STATE

ENCRYPTED MESSAGE
[TR][TD]

TO: Chae Songha, Deputy Minister of Foreign Relations of the Republic of Korea ( Jay )
FROM: Charlie Price, Deputy Secretary of State of the United States of America

Deputy Minister Chae Songha,

Secretary Fitzgerald also extends the greetings and best wishes of President Gore to His Excellency President Kim Daejung and the South Korean government.

It is very nice to hear that the South Korean government is interested in reestablishing stable, and friendly, bilateral relations between the Republic of Korea and the United States. On behalf of the Secretary of State, I would like to make it absolutely clear that the United States stands with South Korea in opposing the communist North Korean junta, and furthermore, we support all efforts of the Republic of Korea to both contain North Korea, and one day reunify Korea into one democratic nation. The resilience of your government and the Korean people has not been forgotten by the United States.

It would be my pleasure to arrange a phone call between the presidents of our respective countries at whatever time you will find fitting, within reason of course. While the Secretary of State is presently incredibly busy, it would be our honor to arrange a call between him and Korea's Foreign Minister, as well as any needed communications between our defense agencies. Perhaps it would be most fitting us to have these calls take place in a particular order - first for foreign relations, then for defense, and finally between our presidents?

I look forward to your response.

Best Regards,

Charlie Price
Deputy Secretary of State
[/TD][/TR][/TD][/TR]

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018

1606507713954.png

To: D. Secretary of State Charlie Price < Odinson >
CC: Leesookhyuck@mofa.kr.gov, Shinpyeongjin@mond.kr.gov
BCC ForeignMinister <Baekjeonghee.mofa.kr.gov> DefenseMinister <ParkHyunjin@mond.kr.gov

Subject: Communique from the Republic of Korea |

To The Honorable Deputy Secretary of State,

The President of the Republic of Korea is most thankful for your best wishes and willingness to establish stable and friendly bilateral relations. Your continued support to our state over the decades and aiding us in development to an advanced and developed state is most unforgettable and commended. We continue to seek bilateral cooperation to ensure peace and stability in East Asia and the greater Asian region. Foreign Minister Baek wishes to extend her personal greetings to the Secretary, given the nature of his busy schedule, the Foreign Minister would like to speak at a convenient time for him. The Foreign Minister is flexible in terms of timing, as for the Defense Minister, he has been away from the capital to oversee defensive positions, my counterpart Deputy Minister Shin has been in contact with the minister however.

We believe the best format is as you have described, we'd like to arrange the first call to take place between our foreign ministers with an agenda to discuss. After of which a call or in-person meeting between our uniformed and civilian defense authorities would be second. To close and sign agreements made by the cabinet members, and discuss further issues a call would take place between our two presidents. If the Secretary is busy, then I believe we could find an alternative arrangement to the order of calls, however, as it stands, we are in agreement with your position.

South Korean Foreign Minister Agenda
Official Call between Foreign Minister (ROK) and Secretary of State (USA)
date and timing: to be determined

South Korean call facilitation and support team: Deputy Foreign Minister Chae Songha
Korean Ambassador Lee Sookhyuc
Foreign Ministry Defense Liaison Jaemin (Jason) Kim
Foreign Ministry Trade Liaison Dr. Roh Hyeungmin​

Agenda of Discussion

1. ROK-US Relations:
The President of Korea would like to establish a robust US-ROK relationship based on the principles of mutual respect, peaceful cooperation, bilateral security arrangements, cultural exchanges, and an education program to ensure access to America’s robust education sector.
Managing the US-ROK trade relations are also crucial to Korea as an export-oriented nation. The Trade Ministry has outlined maintenance of the WTO rulings on tariffs and bilateral and multilateral trade as the foundation for discussion of trade relations.
Advancing diplomatic mission capacity, cultural centers, and linguistic opportunities as well as community outreach initiatives within our respective nations. Developing a strong relationship based on trust and friendship.

2. ROK-US Arms Trades:
The ROK Armed Forces have begun a major program towards rearmament to ensure conventional parity on the Korean Peninsula to deter aggression from the North and their backers. The ROK White Paper Review earmarked a possible $2 billion arms transaction with the United States, which due to the financial constraints will be ordered in portions. Subject to possible negotiation, domestic production rights, and financial planning, the MoND hopes to take a proactive path towards an arms sale.These systems are to be discussed in greater depth with our respective defense counterparts, however, the Foreign Minister would like to lay the ground work to ensure a smoother discussion. The following table was collected in liaison with the ROK MoND for review ahead of the future discussions with the Foreign Minister. Allowing time for the Korean side to review any untradeable systems as well as potential alternatives.

UNIT

EXPECTED PURCHASE NUMBER

EXPECTED
TIMELINE FOR EXPECTED PURCHASES

AH-64A Apache

MUNITION COMPLEMENT

first batch 1998-2000
second batch 1999-2002

AN/TPQ-36

1998-2008

F-15E Strike Eagle (or possible alternative aircraft)
F-16CJ Fighting Falcon
Lockheed U-2 Dragon Lady

20 F-15E
MUNITION COMPLEMENT
8 F-16CJ
MUNITION COMPLEMENT
10 F-16C/D
MUNITION COMPLEMENT
2 U-2 DL

First batch 1997-1998
Second batch 1998-1999
Third batch 1999-2003

M270 MLRS

1998-2008

Boeing E-767 AWACS

Lockheed C-130

3. Student visa processing for unaccompanied minors, university students, and masters and PhD students
In 1996, 60,000 Korean nationals attended universities in the United States yearly, accounting for ~4.5% of the foreign students in the United States. The President has made education reform the top of his agenda. Having an educated, creative, and capable population is crucial for future development. It is without question the US is the center of global education at the higher level, and working out a process for an eased visa process and increased quotas for Korean students is a matter we hope to have a discussion over.

4. US-Korea Trade Relations:
A review of the current status of ROK-US trade and addressing any possible complaints or advise would be in order.

Kind Regards,
Deputy Foreign Minister
Chae Songha
Republic of Korea

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018

1606507713954.png

To: JohnGlass@Defense.gov < Odinson >
CC: Lee Soohyuck@mofa.kr.gov, Shinpyeongjin@mond.kr.gov

Subject: Arms Purchase

To His esteemed Honorable John Glass, Secretary of Defense of the United States of America

I hope this email finds you well Secretary Glass. The current diplomatic communications between our respective foreign affairs agencies have been ongoing and I have taken the liberty of reaching out to make more headway on the discussion of an arms sale between the Republic of Korea and United States. As you are aware, the strong US-ROK relationship was established during the 1940s following the defeat of the Empire of Japan. In the end of the horrendous colonial suppression of the Korean people, a beacon of cooperation between our two states began, solidified on the battlefields of the Korean Peninsula against the new face of imperialism, Communism. It is my hope that our longstanding friendship dating over 50 years in the Modern Era, but a hundred years dating back to the Joeseon Dynasty will be continued by our administrations and no longer overlooked.

The threat of North Korea remains ever so great, and the removal of US forces from Korea only pushed us to become more cautious and ensure that the complete control of our military actions is dedicated to protecting the Korean people from the radical tyrants in the North without the United States. As the Minister of National Defense, and as per the White Paper Review of 1997 for the Korean Government, I am reaching out to open discussion on an arms purchase of US equipment to strengthen the Korean Armed Forces.

I hope we can expedite the process to ensure the delivery of advanced, reliable, and superb American equipment for the ROKAF, ROK Navy, and ROK Army. Previously, the United States was Korea's primary arms supplier, and I seek to return to this status of close partnership. We hope that we can negotiate a fair price to purchase equipment form the United States, and I hope that we can do so in a mutually favorable fashion. Our Ministry to save time has taken the liberty of providing the following list for purchase items from our side. This list in its totality represents the purchasing interests of our Government.

Additionally, our Government is seeking to purchase surveillance and reconnaissance aircrafts. We hope that the United States could provide some form of surveillance package whether it be manned or unmanned surveillance aircrafts so that we can improve our detection and awareness capabilities. Secondly, our Government is seeking to purchase dedicated SEAD aircrafts, currently, our plan is to modify the F-16C/D purchased by our Government to provide SEAD capabilities, however, we are willing to hear perhaps better alternatives to have a stronger and perhaps dedicated SEAD aircraft. Lastly, our government wishes to discuss purchasing small arms from the United States, namely explosive, ATGM, Manpad, and other personal equipment.

QuantityItem

McDonnell Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle

McDonnell Douglas F-15K Slam Eagle

Boeing AH-64A or E variant Apache

Boeing CH-47D Chinook

UH-60P Black Hawk

Lockheed U-2 Dragon Lady

Boeing E-767 AWACS

Boeing P-3 Orion

M270 MLRS

Total Quantity/Cost

QuantityItem

M249

M203 Under-barrel Grenade Launcher

FGM-148 Javelin

FIM-92 Stinger

M141 Bunker Defeat Munition (SMAW-D)

HEMMT Vehicle

Total Quantity/Cost

I hope the listed items are acceptable and we can move on towards discussing the total cost and negotiating a final cost with production, shipping, reduced pricing, and other factors.

Signed with sincerity,
Park Hyunjin
Minister of National Defense
Republic of Korea
Seoul, Korea
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Republic of Korea
Ministry of National Defense
All information is protected from release by the National Security Act​

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
After some talks, the agenda would have been securely agreed to by American officials. The Secretary of State, Jackson Fitzgerald, would pick up his phone and make an encrypted phone call to his counterpart in South Korea in order to discuss the matters that the Koreans had set out in their agenda. Secretary Fitzgerald patiently waited to take the call as the telephone rang. If there was an answer on the other side, he would introduce himself.
"This is Jackson Fitzgerald," he would say.
Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
The Korean Embassy in Bangkok set up another secure line for the Foreign Minister to use. Having been notified by Seoul of the American approval for the agenda, the secretaries set up a phone call for the ministers. The Foreign Minister arrived at the Embassy earlier to use the secure network to complete emails and government related work...she took today light in Bangkok, wearing jeans and a loose shirt as the weather began to get cooler, the Minister was notified a call was on the line. She entered the room and once confirmed by the MoFA DPS it was secure she answered.

"Hello Secretary Fitzgerald, it is a pleasure to speak with you. We are happy to receive this call. I hope things are going well in Washington, and that the President is healthy and well."

Odinson

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
"Things are going well, thank you, Foreign Minister. I hope that things are also going well for Korea. I am happy to hear that your government is interested in discussing the redevelopment of relations between the United States and Korea. It is a goal of this administration to make stronger ties with Korea politically, economically, and hopefully militarily. I think that there are a number of avenues that we can take to do this, but I would be happy to hear what ideas you are bringing to the table. I think there is a significant amount of potential for relationship between our two countries," the Secretary said, and then waited for a response.
Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"Thank you for your concern Secretary Fitzgerald, things are fairly well in Seoul, the President extends his personal wishes for a fruitful conversation. We are happy with the positive reception of our communications with the United States, and we hope that we can nurture a stable Korea-US relationship. We hope our visions are mutually aligned, and that we can achieve the goals set out by both administrations with regards to bilateral relations. As you hinted at, to maintain a robust bilateral relationship it requires mutual respect, cooperation, and understanding. We hope that we can positively influence on another towards the goals of a stable, independent, and peaceful Korean Peninsula, restoration of a stable global order, and combating the mutual threats our governments face. I believe there is a lot of potential as well as a large number of venues we can pursue for advancing cooperation; such as education visas for example. I hope we can have not only a fruitful conversation, but lay the groundwork for future agreements that enhance the lives of both our citizens."

Odinson

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
"I am happy to hear that Korea is doing well - I hope that remains the situation. Looking at your agenda, I know that you were looking forward to discussing trade however I wanted to inform you that we refer all trade negotiations with the World Trade Forum. They will be happy to arrange trade between the United States and Korea, and there are no special fees associated with this service. But, I am excited for major commerce to begin between the United States and Korea," he said.

"But," he continued, "I think that we can help out with some of the items that you are interested in purchasing from us... But the President has asked that is done with certain specifications. See, as I'm sure you know, there are certain pieces of military equipment, hardware, vehicles, and vessels that we sell to virtually no one. Many of the items that Korea is interested in buying are these blacklisted items, but we can make exceptions just this once. The President has taken this stance because he thinks that with the strong history between Korea and the United States, we have the potential to be strong friends as well as military allies. Do you share this same sentiment?" he asked.
Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"I will pass this information to our trade ministry so the proper paperwork and emails can be exchanged for on the trade agenda. With regards to the arms purchase, are you referring to the items on the agenda or another list as the Ministry of National Defense recently relayed a modified list of items including small arms and vehicles. To the best of my knowledge, this is the current set of items our government seeks to negotiate the procurement for. We continue to respect America's high standards and exclusivity for its weapons, it is reassuring that continuous administrations have maintained stringent requirements and Korea is happy to oblige with the certain specifications as sought by H.E. the President. We are thankful for the President's personal willingness to allow Korea to access the requested items, and we I can say with full certainty that the sentiment is mutual here in Seoul. A strong Korean-American relationship is what we hope can be achieve on all fronts, not just military, but on trade, social, education, and science."

Odinson

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
"I am referencing the items that the Ministry of Defense wishes to purchase, and also some of the items on the agenda," he noted.

"I'm happy to hear that you have the same excitement as we do for the future of our relationship. As I'm sure you are aware, there are certain items that the United States does not sell because if certain countries were to get ahold of them, it would hamper our ability to defend ourselves and our allies. One item that sadly is not up for negotiation is the U-2. However, all of the other items that are in the agenda and that the Ministry of Defense mentioned are up for negotiation, or at least some version of them. This is what the White House has authorized me to offer: the United States will sell all of the items you have requested, excluding the U-2, on the condition that Korea does not sell, loan, or give the Sejoing The Great-class Destroyer to any nation or entity besides Korea and the United States, nor sell production licenses for it. This will also means that Korea will need to remove it form its defense page. In return, we will not only sell you what you have requested, but we will be willing to sell more of the same or similar products in the future, within reason.

"Because we would be selling so much high-grade equipment to Korea," he noted, "we will begin working towards establishing a working-relationship between our countries, and hopefully foster a future alliance... There may be a few smaller conditions added to this agreement, such as we will give you maintenance licenses for free and Korea will agree to not re-sell any of this equipment, but that can be added later in a detailed treaty. Please tell me what you think of this proposal," he said.
Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"Okay, thank you for the clarity. With regards to the first point over the U-2, we respect America's position and will not pursue this further. I wish to inquire if America has either any intelligence gathering and surveillance aircraft's we could purchase as our government is significantly worried about North Korea's capacity to use conventional missiles and artillery against Korea. We have attempted to build an arsenal of deterrence, but we also require the capacity to seek out and identify targets. We hope there is something we can do to procure some form intelligence gathering aircrafts outside of the U2.

Onto your second point, Seoul is willing to accept these conditions of not allowing the export of the Sejong Destroyer in the listed capacities you have stated, recognizing to the advanced Aegis capabilities installed on the vessel and the need to maintain its abilities. I will inform our KDIA to remove the ship from its website. In return for as you have stipulated, the continual sale of the affronted items within reason. Our government regarding the terms over maintenance licensing and prohibition on re-selling equipment also find them agreeable and fair. I hope that the fostering of a strong US-led alliance is successful and Korea is eager to re-engage with America and American allies to help strengthen our common values and nations. We find the proposal acceptable, and respect the U.S.'s position on the U-2 & Sejong-class destroyer. I can say that our government is reassured by a stable and strong partner that your government has reasserted during these troubling times ahead.

she would take notes so she could inform the government regarding the U-2 and Sejong and other discussed items.

Odinson

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
"That is fantastic news," he said with much excitement in his voice. "In order to codify this, I had an agreement written up. I will have it sent over to your office now to review. Please let me know if it is acceptable, or if you would like any changes made," he said. Indeed, a draft of the agreement was securely sent to the Minister's office.

"In regards to Korea being able to operate other... surveillance aircraft that the United States may or may not have access to," he said as he chose his words carefully, "would Korea be open to allowing the United States to operate an airbase in Korea, in exchange for the opportunity to squire the SR-71 from us? Allowing us to have an airbase in Korea would mean that we could more easily participate in exercises together and we could also perhaps participate in these intelligence-gathering exercises together as well... We were considering Konsan Air Base or Osan Air Base. Is this something that you would be open to considering?" he asked.

American-Korean Cooperative Arms Agreement of 1997

1920px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png
[TR][TD]

CONTEXT
The American-Korean Arms Trade Agreement of 1997 is between the nations of the United States of America (also referred to as the United States or the American Government) and the Republic of Korea (also referred to as Korea or the Korean Government). This treaty is meant to foster a spirit of mutual cooperation between the American and Korean governments, as well as laying the foundation for a prosperous relationship between the Untied States and Korea. Contained within this treaty is an agreement to exchange products, as well as measures of cooperation between the American and Korean governments.

ARTICLE 1
ARMS EXCHANGE

1.1 The United States will sell the following products to Korea (with quantities shown as i.e. x7): x24 McDonnell Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle; x20 Boeing AH-64A or E variant Apache; x18 Boeing CH-47D Chinook; x10 UH-60P Black Hawk; x4 Boeing E-767 AWACS; x2 Boeing P-3 Orion; x30 M270 MLRS; x2000 M249; x300 M203 Under-barrel Grenade Launcher; x1500 FGM-148 Javelin; x100 FIM-92 Stinger; x400 M141 Bunker Defeat Munition (SMAW-D); and x50 HEMMT Vehicle.
a. The United States is required to sell these items, or some variant of them, to the Republic of Korea within a reasonable amount of time. Also, the United States will make standard munitions for these products available to Korea.
b. The Republic of Korea must pay for products before they will receive them.
c. The United States will continue to sell the aforementioned items to Korea, when requested, and within reason as defined by the American Government.
d. The United States will allow Korea to maintain the equipment they purchase without charge.
e. The Korean Government will not sell, lease, lend, abandon, surrender, or give away any equipment that they purchase from the United States to any nation/entity/individual other than the United States. However, Korea may at any time scrap said equipment.
f. The Korean Government will not sell, lease, lend, abandon, surrender, or give away the Sejong the Great-class Destroyer to any nation/entity/individual other than the Republic of Korea and the United States of America. Also, Korea will not issue any nation a Domestic Production License for the Sejong the Great-class Destroyer or sell its blue prints to any nation other than the United States.

ARTICLE 2
COOPERATION

2.1 The United States of America recognizes the Republic of Korea as a sovereign nation with the only claim to its territory. The Republic of Korea recognizes the United States of America as a sovereign nation with the only claim to its territory.
a. If the United States were to enter into a war with a country that Korea is not in a Mutual Defense Pact with, Korea will share any and all intelligence it finds necessary in order to support the American war effort.
b. If the Republic of Korea were to enter into war with a country that the United States is not in a Mutual Defense Pact with, America will share any and all intelligence it finds necessary in order to support the Korean war effort.
2.2 The United States of America and the Republic of Korea will not charge tariffs on goods traded between their nations.
2.3 The United States of America and the Republic of Korea will both ratify this treaty through their respective legislative processes, but will keep this treaty and the contents of it secret.

ARTICLE 3
TERMINATION OF AGREEMENT

3.1 The United States of America or the Republic of Korea may terminate this treaty after a [6] month notice has been issued. To terminate this agreement, a secure message that clearly states that this agreement is being terminated must be sent through the proper channels from the head of state of either party to the head of state of the other party. If both nations wish to terminate this agreement, no [6] month notice is needed. For a termination to be complete, the measures that follow must be taken.
a. If Korea terminates this agreement, the Korean Government must scrap all American vehicles/vessels/weapons that they procured from the United States.
3.2 If the Republic of Korea violates this agreement by either violating Article 1.1.e. or Article 1.1.f. then they will incur a $3,000,000,000 penalty that they must pay to the United States for each unit they allowed another nation/entity to obtain and the United States is no longer held to abide by Article 1 or Article 2 of this agreement.

Signed for the United States of America,

President of the United States

Signed for the Republic of Korea,

President of the Republic of Korea

[/TD][/TR]

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
The Foreign Minister would receive the document and read over it, taking some notes on the printed copy on the margins before responding to the Secretary.

"We have some adjustments we would like to make for the Arms Agreement. We have added the following wording to Article 2; sub-clause 2-1: "Supporting the Republic of Korea's mission for the reunification the Korean Peninsula". To ensure clarity that the Republic of Korea and its sovereignty while not currently expending to the North of the country, we believe this wording will ensure there is no mistake over America's position over the reunification of the peninsula & Korea's sovereignty in the event of unification.

Secondly, we have added the following term to Article 3 as we believe this should encompass if America seeks to withdraw form the Cooperative Arms Agreement, and that any future administration would not have the legal challenge to undermine Korea's national security without just cause or due process. This is to ensure that if a decision made to terminate the agreement, as conditioned for Korea is also mutually imposed on America and shall ensure that a diplomatic resolution to the termination will be respected versus arbitrary or unilaterally pulling out of the Agreement by either party. While we have no reason to anticipate such a move by either party, we believe ti should be codified and stipulated in the terms. We have amended Article 3, and I look forward to your feedback. Please let me know if your office has received my amended items.

On your second point, regarding...aircrafts that may or may not be existing. I will inform our defense ministry over the procurement of the SR-71, I believe it would make a candidate to replace the U-2 and serve as an intelligence gathering aircraft. However, the discussion on the use of Korean airbases is something I must seek approval before discussing. Already having sent a note to the President to confirm if she could proceed with the discussion on the airbase or offer any terms. "I would like to ask, for clarity, what are the desired terms America is looking for in leasing either Kunsan or Osan airbase, specifically what are the durations that America is looking to station aircrafts and airmen for, does this represent a prolonged American presence on the Korean Peninsula or is it a rotationally-based deployment of specifically intelligence gathering aircrafts such as the U-2/other aircrafts. I can not...at this stage...the minister choosing her words carefully, rule out the possibility for the approval of American aircrafts to be stationed on the Peninsula. However, I would like to hear your vision while I get confirmation from the Blue house.

American-Korean Cooperative Arms
Agreement of 1997

1920px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png

CONTEXT​
The American-Korean Arms Trade Agreement of 1997 is between the nations of the United States of America (also referred to as the United States or the American Government) and the Republic of Korea (also referred to as Korea or the Korean Government). This treaty is meant to foster a spirit of mutual cooperation between the American and Korean governments, as well as laying the foundation for a prosperous relationship between the Untied States and Korea. Contained within this treaty is an agreement to exchange products, as well as measures of cooperation between the American and Korean governments.

ARTICLE 1
ARMS EXCHANGE​
1.1 The United States will sell the following products to Korea (with quantities shown as i.e. x7): x24 McDonnell Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle; x20 Boeing AH-64A or E variant Apache; x18 Boeing CH-47D Chinook; x10 UH-60P Black Hawk; x4 Boeing E-767 AWACS; x2 Boeing P-3 Orion; x30 M270 MLRS; x2000 M249; x300 M203 Under-barrel Grenade Launcher; x1500 FGM-148 Javelin; x100 FIM-92 Stinger; x400 M141 Bunker Defeat Munition (SMAW-D); and x50 HEMMT Vehicle.
a. The United States is required to sell these items, or some variant of them, to the Republic of Korea within a reasonable amount of time. Also, the United States will make standard munitions for these products available to Korea.
b. The Republic of Korea must pay for products before they will receive them.
c. The United States will continue to sell the aforementioned items to Korea, when requested, and within reason as defined by the American Government.
d. The United States will allow Korea to maintain the equipment they purchase without charge.
e. The Korean Government will not sell, lease, lend, abandon, surrender, or give away any equipment that they purchase from the United States to any nation/entity/individual other than the United States. However, Korea may at any time scrap said equipment.
f. The Korean Government will not sell, lease, lend, abandon, surrender, or give away the Sejong the Great-class Destroyer to any nation/entity/individual other than the Republic of Korea and the United States of America. Also, Korea will not issue any nation a Domestic Production License for the Sejong the Great-class Destroyer or sell its blue prints to any nation other than the United States.

ARTICLE 2
COOPERATION​
2.1 The United States of America recognizes the Republic of Korea as a sovereign nation with the only claim to its territory. Supporting the Republic of Korea's mission for the reunification the Korean Peninsula. The Republic of Korea recognizes the United States of America as a sovereign nation with the only claim to its territory.
a. If the United States were to enter into a war with a country that Korea is not in a Mutual Defense Pact with, Korea will share any and all intelligence it finds necessary in order to support the American war effort.
b. If the Republic of Korea were to enter into war with a country that the United States is not in a Mutual Defense Pact with, America will share any and all intelligence it finds necessary in order to support the Korean war effort.
2.2 The United States of America and the Republic of Korea will not charge tariffs on goods traded between their nations.
2.3 The United States of America and the Republic of Korea will both ratify this treaty through their respective legislative processes, but will keep this treaty and the contents of it secret.

ARTICLE 3
TERMINATION OF AGREEMENT​
3.1 The United States of America or the Republic of Korea may terminate this treaty after a [6] month notice has been issued. To terminate this agreement, a secure message that clearly states that this agreement is being terminated must be sent through the proper channels from the head of state of either party to the head of state of the other party. If both nations wish to terminate this agreement, no [6] month notice is needed. For a termination to be complete, the measures that follow must be taken.
a. If Korea terminates this agreement, the Korean Government must scrap all American vehicles/vessels/weapons that they procured from the United States under the American-Korean Cooperative Arms Agreement (AKCAA).
b. If America terminates this agreement, the American Government waives its right to demand Korea scrap all American vehicles/vessels/weapons that they procured from the United States under the AKCAA.
i. The Republic of Korea is still under the requirement to not resell, transfer, or in any other form allow another country to utilize procured equipment from the United States under AKCAA and shall not even in the event of the termination of this agreement, breach the terms over re-selling or transferring in any form the procured equipment from the United States.
3.2 If the Republic of Korea violates this agreement by either violating Article 1.1.e. or Article 1.1.f. then they will incur a $3,000,000,000 penalty that they must pay to the United States for each unit they allowed another nation/entity to obtain and the United States is no longer held to abide by Article 1 or Article 2 of this agreement.

Signed for the United States of America,

President of the United States

Signed for the Republic of Korea,

President of the Republic of Korea

Odinson

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
A Korean aide would hand the Foreign Minister a note, giving up an update from the National Security Council and other relevant agencies about the status of other items being discussed and guidelines. The Minister wrote those things down on her notepad, including some information from the Minister of National Defense and Presidential Advisor Kim. She would look back up and simply sing a melody under her breath as she waited. Odinson

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
"I'm... not aware of the existence of any aircraft named the U-2, maybe it's because I'm not an Air Force-man," he said. From the way he understood one of America's other treaties, he probably couldn't even confirm that the U-2 existed.

"Our goal of having American aircraft based in Korea would be for the defense of Korea and broadening our own strategic interests," he said.

"I believe that the President would be willing to sign this agreement. We could perhaps develop a further agreement that could include a defensive alliance of some kind, as well as some other details. Is that something that you would be interested in?" the Secretary of State asked.

If the Koreans were happy with how the agreement was presently written, then the Americans would be ready to sign it.
Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
Foreign Minister Baek would listen her American counterpart was speaking, taking some notes where possible. As the Secretary began to finish, an aide would bring in a document titled Facilities and Areas, USFK/ROK Agreement. Giving it to the Minister, as well as a side-set of notes from the council's deliberations. She would only be able to read the side-notes before the Secretary Finished.

"Thank you Secretary Fitzgerald" The Minister said glancing at the notes she had written. "President Kim has given me permission to, as you mentioned, develop further agreements, in both the interests of the airbase and broadening our security relationships. If you would like, we can begin the discussions on the defensive alliance and airbase usage. Our government is eager to re-engage with the United States in dealing with the regional threats we face in Asia, but as well as around the globe...she took a look at the final draft of the agreement "We would like to note, as a technical aspect, we would not like to purchase the UH-60P Blackhawks, however, we would like to keep it there to allow future purchases to fall under this agreement." Having the final copy already reviewed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and National Assembly committee, the Korean Foreign Minister would have the final draft sent to the Chief Secretary to get printed and for signing. "I believe with this all said, our government is ready to sign this agreement and we will make sure to get it passed through the National Assembly soon. Would you like any media statement issued with regards to the document being signed?

Odinson
((In case the link above did not work)

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
"I'm happy to hear that President Kim is willing to sign the American-Korean Cooperative Arms Agreement of 1997. I will be sure to inform the President immediately. The United States typically does not try to focus on arms agreements with other countries - we wouldn't want this to be seen as some kind of act of intimidation to Japan or Russia or the DPRK... To discuss the establishment of a more formal defensive alliance, and perhaps other matters, would you mind if we met in person? It would be my pleasure to meet you roughly halfway. You and I could meet in Hawaii - it would be my pleasure to host you," he said.
Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"Our Government completely understands. We likewise prefer keeping aspects of foreign military procurement as limited as possible to avoid adversaries gaining knowledge on our defense capabilities and neighbors from feeling threatened or at risk. I believe an in-person meeting is much more acceptable, I believe Hawaii is a wonderful venue, and I would be happy to meet you there. Is there anything in specific you would like to discuss aside from the formal defensive alliance, so I can be briefed on relevant items?"

Odinson

Todays Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ProbableBear