STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

Letter of Protest [Denmark]

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018

2560px-Flag_of_the_Government_of_the_Republic_of_Korea.png

1280px-Emblem_of_South_Korea.png

2560px-Flag_of_South_Korea.png

To: Foreign Ministry of Denmark Nathan

Subject: People's Party's statements in Nordic Council Confirmation Vote

Security: Private and encrypted Protected by the NIS and MoFA DPB
Dear Minister Petersen

The Republic of Korea strongly condemns and rejects the racially charged statements by the Leader of the Opposition of the Danish Folketinget. The Republic of Korea deems such statements as reckless and dangerous, impairing the bilateral relationship of the Republic of Korea and the Kingdom of Denmark. Her Excellency the Foreign Minister conveys in the strongest terms the Republic of Korea's protest over the language and statements made by the Leader of the Opposition. Expressing our sincere regret that the Kingdom of Denmark has allowed such statements to go unabated. The Republic of Korea further sees these statements as severely insensitive and inconsiderate as the Korean people remember the March 1st Movement in which the Korean people rose against colonial rule over the Peninsula.

We strongly reject and condemn the notion the Republic of Korea is a colonial subject of the Nordic Council. Considering such statements harmful to Korean-Nordic Council relations. Going as far as to suggest this by the Kingdom of Denmark, a founding member, is extremely disappointing to the Republic of Korea. Such statements impact ROK-Nordic Council relations and our level of cooperation and engagement. Neither are they considerate to Denmark being home to the largest Korean Diaspora community in the Nordic Council. We are disappointed in your politicians conduct and hope that the governing parties will stand up and reject rather than ignore these statements. Such racist and anti-Korean statements are repulsive and must be rejected.

Her Excellency hopes that your government will address these remarks and issue a formal statement. Further hoping in the future the government and other parties will respond to these statements during the course of discussion.

Delivered by Ambassador Park Sangjin

Republic of Korea
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
All information is protected from release by the Diplomatic Communications Security Act 1997
Authorized viewing is limited to those directly emailed, cc'd, and bcc'd​

Nathan

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018

To: Ambassador Park Sangjin

Classification: Classified

"Dear Your Excellency Ambassador Park Sangjin,

I would first like to make clear that these comments are not government statements, or indeed statements from the leader of the opposition. In fact we do not even have a leader of the opposition in our parliamentary system. These are comments from a small opposition party within our chamber. The collection of speeches was from our parliamentary channel. It was a condensed highlights package of our debate which was broadcast on the Folketinget network, there are over 179 members of our parliament and many wished to speak on the urgent matter. This needed to be condensed for broadcast. It would be impossible for our government to respond to each member directly without forcing the debate to last hours. This position has not, and will not be a position of the Danish people. This is evidenced by the 164 - 13 affirmative votes which passed the bill. The 13 votes were from the party which these comments originated.

Our nation has a proud history of democracy and the freedom of speech. While we agree these statements were incorrect and unsubstantiated, we do not agree with the accusation that the comments were racist or antikorean, nor do they contravene any Danish laws or parliamentary standards. I will however make it my priority to issue a statement to the Folketinget later today to outline my governments opposition to these statements.

I hope this reply answers your question, if not I am happy to arrange an appointment for us to discuss this issue further.

Yours faithfully,

Anne-Mette Petersen"

Last edited:

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018

Dear H.E. Minister Petersen

The statements exclusively targeting the only non-European and the Asian observer state of the Council and not other nations such as Germany showcased a clear case of prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual of the Danish Parliament against Koreans. Particularly linking Korea as a colony as well as a nation of emigration. Such statements are both racist and disrespectful, by singling out the Republic of Korea, in a demeaning manner to being a colonial entity of Nordic Powers seeking to mass immigrate to Scandinavia.

Her Excellency believes a statement from the Foreign Ministry in opposition to the racist remarks is an appropriate statement. Appreciating the efforts by your government to reject these statements. We hope that with respect to the condensed 'highlight reel', future racially charged statements will be presented with a firm response by other members of the parliament and included in the reel. As a nation that prides itself with democracy and freedom of speech, we hope Denmark will exemplify this values and showcase the character of good ethics, composure, and actions. We believe this is an acceptable reply, and look forward to seeing the statement.

Signed,
Ambassador Park Sangjin
Republic of Korea

Republic of Korea
All information is protected from release by the Diplomatic Communications Security Act 1997

Nathan

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018

To: Ambassador Park Sangjin

Classification: Classified

"Dear Your Excellency Ambassador Park Sangjin,

I shall make it a priority to address the house on this as soon as I am able. I will not be agreeing with your view that the statements were racist, it is my belief that South Korea was mentioned as it is the only nation which Denmark does not share a water or land border, or close cultural ties with. It is however, not my governments position to comment on opposition statements, I would suggest you take further correspondence to the Danish Peoples Party if you feel our statement is not suitable enough for you. I do however view these comments as distasteful, disrespectful and indeed will call them as such in my statement to the house.

I once again reiterate that this is not an official or unofficial government policy or statement. This is a very minor Danish political party which has campaigned on a right wing platform. The Danish government looks forward to working with your administration in the coming months and years. I would personally like to arrange a visit from either yourself or your foreign minister to Denmark to meet us.

Yours faithfully,
Anne-Mette Petersen"

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018

Dear H.E. Minister Petersen

We have seen the exchanges of your floor parliament and deemed the statements to be appropriate enough. We appreciate your statements with regards to the statements made by the members of the people's party who aimed racially charged statements against the Republic of Korea. While you may disagree with our assessment, we both agree that the statements were repulsive and distasteful. Nonetheless, we have no further intention to give attention to a racist and xenophobic party, neither do we intend to become a scapegoat for fringe danish politicians. Nonetheless, the Republic of Korea does not believe at this stage there should be a reconsideration of our relationship. Her Excellency would be happy to have a phone call to discuss ROK-Denmark relations, however, is not available for a visit at this time.

Signed sincerely,
Ambassador Park Sangjin
Republic of Korea

Republic of Korea

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jvasa