STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: March

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 14/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[Norway] Aftenrapport - The Evening Report

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
AFTENRAPPORT
The Evening Report

Aftenrapport is a prime-time evening news show paid for by the Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten. The news anchor of the show is Rune Isberg. While not every broadcast is recorded here, the most notable and significant are for historical purposes. The broadcasts are in Norwegian, but there are optional live English subtitles provided by some TV broadcasters, as well as a copy of the broadcast that is uploaded hours after each show with English subtitles.

Last edited:

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
BROADCAST: 05/20/2013
SPECIAL REPORT: KING ENOCH'S ADDRESS AFTER 'GREAT WINTER OF 2012'

KING ENOCH - King of Norway
RUNE ISBERG - Aftenrapport News Anchor
IVER AAGARD - Aftenrapport Military Correspondent
JONATHAN ROGNESS - Aftenrapport Political Correspondent
EMMA HOEM - Aftenrapport Kristiansand Correspondent

Around Norway and possibly the world, people began tuning in to the new television channel that Norway's largest newspaper, Aftenposten, has purchased. A special news broadcast, called Aftenrapport ("The Evening Report") was to broadcast for the first time tonight. Oslo was still frozen, and the other national broadcasters wouldn't be able to carry King Enoch's address to the nation live on television. Lars Valstad, the Director of News, personally promised The Office of The King that they would be ready to broadcast and cover the King's speech live. Although it had been a close call, everything worked out in the end. Lars Valstad watched from the producer's room as the broadcast began at 7:30PM. All of the graphics did look a bit basic, but in the defense of Aftenrapport, this had all been thrown together in twelve hours. It was pretty damn good. The live feed showed this: various famous scenes from the last year or two. The intro began with dramatic instrumental music, briefly showing video of tanks rolling into Oslo, King Enoch famously walking up the steps of the Storting Building, and video of him later addressing the kingdom. Brief video fragments of disasters, concerts, famous people, and visits of foreigners flashed on the screen as well, along with some video fragments of everyday Norwegians doing their jobs. In all, the introduction was about thirty seconds long, at the bottom right of the screen was a digital countdown - similar to the famous BBC countdown. The instrumental music built to a crescendo by the end of the thirty seconds, and then faded out. The screens of millions of screens focused on one man who appeared to be in his early forties and had distinctly dirty blonde Norwegian hair. He was wearing a black suit, dark blue tie, and a pristine white dress shirt. He began to speak in what can only be described as an official, yet friendly male voice - much like that of a close friend confidently telling you a story.

RUNE ISBERG:
"Good evening. I'm Rune Isberg reporting live from Oslo, and this is Aftenrapport. Welcome to our first broadcast. Tonight we will be bringing you exclusive live-coverage of King Enoch's speech from Oslo. We have been given a timeframe of when His Majesty will begin his remarks, which should be soon. Until then, this evening's report will cover the recovery of Norway and Europe from what the Norwegian Polar Institute has called: 'The Great Winter of 2012'. In Oslo, temperatures reached more than fifty degrees below zero, while extreme weather ravaged other parts of Europe. Temperatures now have warmed to minus ten degrees here in the nation's capital and most of southern Norway. Since the beginning of winter, the armed forces have been seen outside, braving the cold and ice to help those in need. We now go to Iver Aagard, Aftenrapport's military correspondent."

The view changed from Rune Isberg to shorter, older man with thick glasses and a grey suit. He was dressed very warmly, but only looked slightly ridiculous. He was standing outside of a large, castle-looking structure. It was dark outside, but the camera lights kept them in view. Off in the distance, guards could be seen moving around on top of the castle, presumably there to guard it. As Iver spoke, the video feed occasionally changed from him to pictures of Norwegian soldiers unloading food and carrying the unwell. A digital graphic showed Iver's name along where he was reporting from.

IVER AAGARD:
"Rune, I am standing outside of Akershus Fortress in Oslo, the headquarters of Norway's High Command. From here, Minister of Defense Ingvar and the generals and admirals of the High Command have orchestrated military deployments all across Norway. What was initially thought to be a bad storm turned into a tragic event that brought every part of Norway below freezing. According to some of our sources from Akershus Fortress, troops were deployed from all three branches of the armed forces. Even Norway's new all-female special forces unit, the Valkyries, were deployed. The Valkyries were reportedly stationed in the Palace until being led out to find people in distress. King Enoch opened the palace to anyone who needed refuge, and the number of people who fled there are believed to be in the hundreds. The Home Guard and the Valkyries remain in Oslo and deployed around Norway, but are scheduled to be relieved once temperatures get above freezing. Back to you, Rune."

The camera transitioned back to Rune Isberg who had another man sitting next to him.

RUNE ISBERG:
"
That was Iver Aagard, braving the cold for us. Thank you, Iver. We now bring you back to Oslo where I have one of our political correspondents, Jonathan Rogness. Jonathan, I understand that the Prime Minister requested to the King that the Storting hold sessions over the weekends so that important legislation could be passed. It's been over a week now since things have started to improve. Can you tell us about what was passed today?"

JONATHAN ROGNESS:
"I can, Rune. Not long ago, the Storting passed two pieces of legislation: the first technically abolished the death penalty in times of peace, and the second brought Norway into the European Treaty Organization, commonly called 'The E.T.O.'. Norway hasn't executed anyone since the 1940s, however one of the laws of the ETO requires that members abolish the death penalty. This legislation, though, is interestingly vague. It says that the government may not execute any person in times of peace, but it makes no mention of military tribunals which can technically be sanctioned by the government during times of war. No one in the Storting has given me a straight answer on this, but my guess is that the Prime Minister didn't have the votes to absolutely abolish the death penalty. Presumably, though, this wont be a problem unless the military executes someone who was convicted of a crime."

RUNE ISBERG:
"And what about the European Treaty Organization? I know that no one thought the Conservative Party would actually pass this through the Storting."

JONATHAN ROGNESS:
"You're right. The public was shielded from it, but I imagine a lot of arguments happened behind scenes. I think it's important to remember that Prime Minister Holt was originally chosen by the King to be Prime Minister because he was distinctly known as an independent. This is my own personal opinion, but I think he is still very much an independent, and had to pull some teeth to get the government to actually allow Norway into the ETO."

RUNE ISBERG:
"And what does joining the ETO mean for Norway? Can we expect hordes of unemployed Welshmen, as one MP put it?"

JONATHAN ROGNESS:
"Again, this is in my professional opinion as a lawyer and an economist, but I don't think that'll be an issue. The laws that dictate how people work and what they can be paid in Norway will be pretty exclusionary. There is a culture of hiring from within, in this country, and I don't see that going away any time soon. I think the reality is that the biggest fear that we should have is that some oddball is allowed into the ETO. My guess is that the government will be very conservative when it comes to future membership in the organization."

RUNE ISBERG:
"Well, at least we don't need a VISA to travel to London now. Thanks for that update Jonathan... I'm being told that the cameras have been set up in the palace and that the King will be giving his address shortly. However, we should have time for one more report from our Kristiansand correspondent, Emma Hoem, who has an update on the Dutch troops that have made landfall in Norway."

Television screens switched to a young Norwegian woman with very light brown hair and intense blue eyes. She was standing on top of a bridge which had a clear view of the Port of Kristiansand and much of the city. After thirty seconds or so of her speaking, the pictures switched to video and photographs of Dutch troops unloading supplies and assisting Norwegian civilians.

EMMA HOEM:
"Good evening Rune! I'm coming to you live from the 18-bridge here in Kristiansand. Behind me you can see three Dutch ships: the Vrijheid which is a hospital ship and the Karel Doornman and the Havik which are both replenishment vessels of some kind. I've been told by a source in the Border Commission that these ships have military personnel from all three branches of the Dutch military. The Vrijheid, which is the hospital ship I mentioned a minute ago, is accepting the sick and elderly aboard to be treated by Dutch doctors. I have to say, Rune, the spirit here in the city has really come up since the Dutch ships arrived. In total, the Dutch troops appear to be in the hundreds. We don't know how long they will be here, but the little they've already done has appeared to have helped a great deal. Emma Hoem reporting live from Kistiansand. Back to you, Rune."

RUNE ISBERG:
"Thank you Emma - it's nice to see that we're not alone in this... We are coming up to the hour where... Please stand by for the King of Norway."

The screens of millions of televisions cut to the Royal Standard for about ten seconds, until they switched to King Enoch. He was sitting behind the desk in his office with the flag of Norway on his right and the royal standard to his left. He was wearing a black suit and tie, his hair was neatly combed, and his hands were folded on the desk before him. He almost looked more like an American President than a regal monarch.

KING ENOCH:
"...Good evening. These past months have been some of the most trying in Norway's history. My reign as King has only just begun, but the suffering I have witnessed in the past month feels like it is enough for a lifetime. Our ancient capital - standing in what is one of the few wealthiest and most fortunate nations in the world - was shrouded into darkness longer than any period of time in its modern history. The lights at the palace I address you from today, and the Storting building, fell dark when the diesel in our generators froze after temperatures fell below minus fifty-five degrees... If only discomfort was the only suffering that we faced... Instead, I regret to inform you, that over one-thousand Norwegian lives have been lost. Some were in their homes, burning whatever they could find to keep warm, others were at shelters ill-equipped to deal with this level of disaster - but the most devastating story is that of a woman and her two children, one four, and the other eight. They were found in the street, among the snow and frigid weather, only a few hundred feet from where I now address you... they were... they were in route to this palace, for refuge, as winter's wrath tore into our city. The children were huddled close to their mother, who I assume must have been doing her best to comfort them in their final minutes with us...

"They are now with God... I can't imagine the number of stories similar to this from around Norway... But I've also been told stories of stunning generosity. Men cutting down trees in subzero temperatures to bring fuel to the elderly, soldiers leaving the comfort of their own homes and walking miles in the snow to report for duty, the poor giving when they truly could not afford to give. These stories do not surprise me in the least. What did surprise me was the help we received from our friends abroad. In the beginning, as the storm roared from the Arctic towards us, the British Royal Air Force saved the lives of Norwegian scientist on Jan Mayen without being asked. And now, when only a hollow gesture would fulfill their duty, the Dutch have mobilized their armed forces and sent hundreds of soldiers and millions of krona worth of aid to us. These countries are our friends, our brothers.

"This 'Great Winter' has brought immense suffering to Norway. Despite what others will say, I will tell you this: it was not the wrath of God or an unfortunate coincidence. For centuries we have used the Earth and its resources without considering the consequences of our actions. We have been burned countless quantities of coal and petroleum, and now we have seen a climatic disturbance like no other in modern European history. In truth, though, the struggles we will face from burning these fuels will not be a threat to Mother Earth - the threat is to the survival of mankind. No longer should we ignore what we have done. The government and myself will be working with our national industry and the other nations of the world to address this problem and do what we can to prevent further damage to our planet and ourselves.

"But I can confirm to you that as of now, transportation between Norway's major cities has been restored. In Oslo and Trondheim, the streets have been cleared of snow, and extensive repairs have begun to our electrical and communications networks. The schools will soon be reopened, and our dedicated soldiers and emergency responders will be able to return to their families. Our recovery is now underway, and every hour our situation improves. As of the beginning of this broadcast, our entire country has had power restored to every corner of it.

"But before we step past what has happened, I give anyone the opportunity to attend the funeral of the mother and two children I mentioned before - Misses Sunniva Dybdahl, her eight year old son, Oddvar, and her four year old daughter, Mina... I will be there, at Oslo Cathedral, and I hope that you are as well to mourn for the Dybdahl family and for Norway...

"In closing, I remind you that I am still here, the government is still here, and most importantly our country is still here... May God bless Norway... Good night..."

Television screens switched back to Rune who took a second to turn his attention to the camera.

RUNE ISBERG:
"That was King Enoch, addressing the country live from the Palace in Oslo. For those of you who may have just missed the address, some of the biggest points made from the King's speech were that over one-thousand Norwegians have died from the winter, which the King has called the 'Great Winter'. He stated that he and the government will be taking action to mitigate climate change and... he announced that there will be a national funeral at Oslo Cathedral for a family that died, and all other Norwegians who did not weather this storm. The King invited all Norwegians to attend this church service and said that he would be there. We will bring you more information as this story develops, and this broadcast will replay later tonight. I'm Rune Isberg in Oslo, good night."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ProbableBear