STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation News (NRK Nyheter)

Vaka

The Kingdom of Norway
GA Member
Sep 26, 2020

NRK Nyheter

Welcome to the the NRK Nyheter news at ten o'clock. My name is Henrik Karlsen and thank you for joining us. Our top story tonight comes from Belgian border with the Netherlands where tens of thousands of Americans have been attempting to flee the chaos caused by unrest in the French Government. Initial reports claim that the majority of these American refuges were attempting to seek a temporary safe haven in Belgium. But upon arrival, the Americans refuges were met with indifference and in a few cases open hostility from Belgium authorities. We have eye witness reports of Belgium Police threatening some of the American refuges with imprisonment if they did not leave the country immediately. With no uncertain future back across the border with France, most of the belabored Americans have made for the border with the Netherlands in hopes of a trip back home. On the ground, we have Junior foreign affairs reporter Amalie Aagaard now with one of the American refugees.

Cut to the Belgium Border with the Netherlands in the Belgium Country side. Snow covered trees fill the background shot with a young female news reporter dressed in full winter attire with a bright blue NRK branded toque in the foreground. Beside her in a torn flannel shirt and hair clearly dirty from miles of walking, stands a younger American man who looks as if he is about to freeze to death.

Thanks Henrik, I'm here with Joe Paterson who is one of the tens of thousands of Americans who have become refugees with on going crisis in France. Joe, can you explain to NRK news who you are and what happened to you?

Uhh, My name is Joe Paterson. I'm an American auto mechanic specializing in European vehicles. I had come to France in order to take part in a training course on Renault Transmissions when all this business with the French Government started.

Did you attempt to get a flight back to the United States?

I mean I tried, but I guess I waited too late. I tried getting in touch with my company back home and that's when the cell service and internet went out. I had no idea what to do, so I tried to see if I could maybe get to the American Embassy but with all of the protests and what not that wasn't happening.

What did you do next?

Well I had heard a rumor about Belgium giving people flights back to the States and with no money or cell phone, I just decided to walk it. It wasn't long after I started for the border I realized I wasn't the only American stranded over here. Tons of us just formed groups and started walking. There was a French guy who walked with us and gave us directions to the border, but once we got into Belgium we lost track of him.

What happened when you got into Belgium?

Well, I'm not trying to be racist or anything but so far just about everyone we have met in Belgium has kinda been an A******.

Whoa there Joe! We are live on the air...

I'm sorry Ma'am, its just that most of us here are at the end of our rope. We asked for help or at least let us go the American Embassy here. They told us flat out that if we stayed we would be arrested. What is that about? Didn't we save these guys back in World War two or something? They wouldn't even give us clothes or anything. Its freezing here now.

That's terrible Joe. If you can't stay in Belgium, what's your plan now?

Well, we have heard that The Dutch Government here just across this border crossing are gonna get us flight back home. It feels like the same thing as before though and I'm just sick of walking. Hey, do you mind if I have your Tuque?

My Tuque? Uhh Sure Joe. Anything to help. Well I've been Amalie Aagaard with NRK News reporting from Belgium on the American refuge crisis. Back to you Henrik.

Thank you Amalie for that special report. Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg has offered to help the United States Government in anyway regarding the American refugees. NRK has reached out to both the Belgium and Dutch Government for comment but we have not yet received a reply. The American Embassy in Oslo has stated that they will be releasing a statement shortly regarding the situation in Belgium and we will have that here for you as soon as its posted. Please join us after the break with a special interview with Simon Thorvaldsen the CEO of Statoil on the future of Norwegian Oil and Gas exports.

Vaka

The Kingdom of Norway
GA Member
Sep 26, 2020

NRK Nyheter

Welcome to the the NRK Nyheter news at ten o'clock. My name is Henrik Karlsen and thank you for joining us. Our top story tonight comes from floors of Parliament where the Storting was engaged in a heated debate regarding the creation of a new division of the Army, dubbed the Norwegian Foreign Legion. This bill was sponsored by members of the ruling Labour party in an effort to help supplement manpower shortages in the Norwegian Army. This bill would grant Norwegian citizenship to foreign nationals after a determined amount of military service. Critics have blasted the bill as dangerous, allowing criminals and other undesirables Norwegian citizenship. Christian Democrat, Kjell Magne Bondevik here in this clip describes her opposition to the bill.

Mr. Speaker, this bill effectively solves a minor problem with a larger one. Having servicemen able to hold a rifle is a problem that can be solved in a number of ways. Bringing in outside help, so to speak, is outrageous. Norway should be defended by Norwegians. How do we know where any of these foreign fighters' loyalties really lie? Can they be trusted with our most advanced weaponry? What will be done with them when they apply for citizenship at the end of their duties? Will there then be a need to offer them assistance housing and welfare? This will be far too expensive. I would rather offer that pay increase to new recruits. Plenty of Norwegians want to serve their country. I for one welcome their services. But foreign nationals need not apply.

Labour MP Sigrun Eng who helped author the bill, had this to say in response.

This bill serves as an opportunity, for us to help fill the ranks of our military with additional purposeful and resilient soldiers with a chance at a better life here in Norway. These men and women will be signing up to fight and bleed for Norway. They will be some of the highest-trained military personnel equipped to take these skills into the public sector once they have finished their minimum of three years of military service. Many will be escaping horrible situations in their home country for a chance at a new life. If those individuals are willing to die to help protect our nation, then I think the least we could do is offer them citizenship in the lands they helped protect.

The bill is set for a final vote on Friday, and Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg has already indicated that he will sign it into law the moment it clears the Storting. What do you think of the new law? Please go on to our website https://www.nrk.no and answer the poll. When we come back we look at the progress being made at the European Grand Summit.

Vaka

The Kingdom of Norway
GA Member
Sep 26, 2020

NRK Nyheter

Welcome to the NRK Nyheter news at ten o'clock. My name is Henrik Karlsen and thank you for joining us.
Tonight, we take a closer look at the controversial and often misunderstood genre of music known as Norwegian Black Metal.

Black Metal, which originated here in Norway in the early 1990s, is a subgenre of heavy metal that is known for its aggressive sound, dark lyrics, and often provocative imagery. The genre has gained a reputation for its association with violence, Satanism, and extremist ideologies.

To get a better understanding of both sides of this debate, we spoke with several experts and insiders within the Norwegian Black Metal scene.

Over the years, Norwegian Black Metal has been linked to several high-profile incidents, including church burnings, murders, and acts of terrorism. These actions have understandably led to widespread condemnation of the genre and its practitioners.

In 1992, members of the Norwegian black metal scene began a wave of arson attacks on Christian churches. By 1996, there had been at least 50 attacks in Norway; in every case that was solved, those responsible were black metal fans. Some of the buildings were hundreds of years old and seen as important historical landmarks. The first was the Fantoft Stave Church in Bergen, which was burnt to the ground in June 1992. Police believe Varg Vikernes of Burzum was responsible. The cover of Burzum's EP Aske is a photograph of the destroyed church. On May 16, 1994, Vikernes was found guilty of burning down the Holmenkollen Chapel, Skjold Church, and Åsane Church. In addition, he was found guilty of attempted arson of a fourth church, and for the theft and storage of 150 kg of explosives. Members of the Swedish black metal scene started to burn churches as well in 1993.

To coincide with the release of Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Vikernes and Euronymous had allegedly plotted to bomb the Nidaros Cathedral, which appears on the album cover. The musicians Faust, Samoth, (both of Emperor), and Jørn Inge Tunsberg (of Hades Almighty) were also convicted for church arsons. Those convicted for church burnings showed no remorse and described their actions as a symbolic "retaliation" against Christianity in Norway.

However, there are those who argue that Norwegian Black Metal is unfairly demonized by the media and the public at large. They point out that the majority of Black Metal fans and musicians are not violent or dangerous, and that the genre is simply an expression of artistic freedom and individualism.

On one hand, we spoke with local Bergan journalist, Casper Nordtveit, who has extensively covered the genre and its associated controversies. He argued that while there may be some Black Metal artists who genuinely hold extremist views, the majority are simply using provocative imagery and lyrics as a way to shock and challenge their audience.

We also spoke with a Black Metal musician, (who asked to remain anonymous) that insisted the genre is not about promoting violence or extremism, but rather about celebrating darkness and individuality. He acknowledged that some Black Metal artists may have engaged in criminal behavior, but argued that this was the exception rather than the rule.

We also spoke with Sociologist, Amina Jørgensen from the University of Stavanger who has studied the Norwegian Black Metal scene in depth. She argued that while the genre may be seen as controversial and extreme, it is ultimately a reflection of broader societal tensions around identity, power, and resistance.

Ultimately, the debate around Norwegian Black Metal is a complex and multifaceted one. While there are certainly valid concerns around the genre's association with violence and extremism, it is important to recognize that not all Black Metal fans or musicians fit this stereotype.

As always, we encourage our viewers to engage in thoughtful and respectful dialogue around this and other controversial issues. Thank you for tuning in to this special report from NRK Nyheter. We close out our broadcast with the music of Ulver from their 1995 album, Spellbound – A Fairy Tale in 5 Chapters.