STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: March

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 14/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[Philippines] State Visit to Japan

Apingdaldal

RP'ing The Philippines, RL'ing The Philippines
Jul 1, 2018
continuation of https://modernnations.com/threads/philippines-message-for-japan.983/

The Presidential Jet of the 250th Presidential Air Lift Wing, an Airbus A330-300, with callsign "Kalayaan One" departs from Moscow's Sheremetyevo International Airport for Kansai International Airport in Osaka. Aboard Kalayaan One would be:

- President Rodrigo Duterte
- 12x Presidential Security Group (PSG) operatives

4x PSG personnel shall each carry a UDMC PVAR rifle with Trijicon ACOG , 1x TCM TAC Ultra FS HC pistol, kevlar vests with MOLLE pouches, PASGT helmets, 4x extra G36 magazines, 2x extra TCM TAC Ultra FS HC clips, 2x high fragmentation grenades, 2x flashbangs, 1x smoke grenade (white phosphorus), a "Bolo" knife, a tactical flashlight, first-aid kit, and a small, pocket-sized box of "Bukayo" (square block sweets made of dehydrated shredded coconut and brown sugar).

The other 8x PSG personnel shall each carry a TCM TAC Ultra FS HC pistol with 2x extra clips, a "Balisong" butterfly knife, and shall be wearing "Barong Tagalogs" (traditional Filipino dress) and bulletproof vest (as undergarment).

All twelve (12) PSG personnels shall be carrying UHF digital radios with level 3 encryption and plugged with PTT throat microphones with earplugs headset.

Prior to the departure of Kalayaan One, the Japanese government was privately and secretly informed of President Duterte's entourage as well as their ETA to Osaka and declared all the equipment and weapons they are carrying with them.

@Teikoku

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
The Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe, and the Foreign Minister, Junichiro Koizumi, waited for the Filipino plane to land. They stood at the end of a red carpet that line the air stairs ad several metres of concrete below. A limousine, guarded by a convoy of armoured cars, was parked nearby. Whilst they waited for the plane to come into view, the Foreign Minister received a notification from the Ministry, informing him of the arms equipped by the Filipino's. He would then tell the Prime Minister of this,

"A have received a rather lengthy list of weaponry that our foreign friends have chosen to bring with them, apparently they declared them earlier.", Koizumi stated, showing Abe the notification.

"Requested or declared? There is a very big difference between them. Anyway, why do they need do bring such an arsenal with them? It's typical, we invite the President and he brings his army", Abe joked.

Just as they said this, the plane came into their view and made its landing, finally coming to a stop, allowing the airport crew to fix the air stairs to the plane.

Apingdaldal

Jul 1, 2018
The Presidential Jet of the 250th Presidential Air Lift Wing, an Airbus A330-300, with callsign "Kalayaan One" arrives at Kansai International Airport on Expected Time of Arrival (ETA). Once Kalayaan One completes taxiing, the Presidential entourage would disembark from the Presidential Jet and greet Prime Minister Abe, Foreign Secretary Koizumi and the rest of the Japanese welcoming party.

President Duterte and 8x PSG guards (with concealed sidearms and wearing traditional Barong Tagalogs) will then proceed to the limousine vehicles.

The other 4x PSG guards (who are fully armed) will stay at the airport and will be guarding the Presidential Jet. Three (3) of them will always be on detail while one (1) will be resting in the airport's ATC. Each of the guard will take shift resting for 8 hours.

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
"How are you Mr President", Prime Minister Abe asked while exchanging handshakes. The Prime Minister would then guide Duterte to the limousine, with the foreign minister walking alongside.

Once everyone had entered the vehicle. The convoy, which included four armoured SUV's, would make the 25 minute journey to Kishiwada Castle, the location of the summit. Upon arrival, the convoy would stop alongside the paved bridge leading up to the Castle. The Prime Minister would then lead the way up to the Castle with Duterte walking next to him and the remaining delegations following behind. After entering the Castle and making their way up a set of stairs, they would enter a room that overlooked the Osaka skyline. Within the room, there was a long table, on one side sat Filipino flags, and the other Japanese flags. The Prime Minister invited everyone to take their assigned seats. Abe sat directly opposite Duterte, with the Foreign Minister sat to his left. Once everyone was seated, a butler would offer drinks to the Filipino delegation.

Apingdaldal

Jul 1, 2018
President Duterte would respectfully bow and greet Prime Minister Abe, exchanging handshakes.

While on-route to Kishiwada Castle, it is noticeable of President Duterte to be looking at the beautiful Osaka scenery from inside the limousine. Reaching Kirishima Castle, they proceeded to the meeting room and get seated. President Duterte would request for two glasses of water as he would need to take his medicines. He would then start conversing with the Japanese Prime Minister:

"Beautiful country Japan is, Prime Minister Abe. Nature, cities, it's people, the culture, the technology... No wonder man country would like to replicate the same beauty Japan has."

He would pause for awhile as the butler returns with the water he requested. President Duterte would respectfully excuse himself to PM Abe for a few seconds to drink his medicine. After taking his meds, he would continue:

"Philippines has been post-WWII friends with Japan since 1956. My country had good bilateral relationship with your past two (2) predecessors. I came here to re-establish and renew our bilateral relationship. I actually have several agenda to discuss with. But before we go through those agenda in detail, I have a clarification regarding the current Japanese government. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand is that currently Japan is an absolute monarchy. If that is the case, may I clarify what will be the role and significance of the Prime Minister if all decision-making of the state and the everyday government job of a head of government are all done by your monarchy?"

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
"Well thank you, your comments are very kind. I see Japan as a precious jewel in the world, something of beauty, value, and very hard to come by."

As the President asked his question, the Foreign Minister narrowed his eye's in what seemed like the President doubting the Prime Minister's authority.

The Prime Minster cleared his throat. "We have chosen to readopt the Imperial Monarchy as the centre of our political system, with the role of Prime Minister being that of an advisory position. But I can assure you that you don't need to worry about Japanese politics."

Apingdaldal

Jul 1, 2018
President Duterte replies:

“Not that I’m worried about Japanese politics. I’m just sincerely concerned of the Emperor’s age and health. Can he still handle all the stress that politics and public governance will bring, alone, if he will play all roles? Just a genuine concern coming from old man with ailments. But nevertheless, the Philippines respects Japan’s chosen path. Afterall, the Japanese owns what is best for Japan.

Moving forward, I basically have 4 agenda to discuss with you. first would be the renewal of past agreements and treaties. Second would be possible signing of new treaties. Third would be about trade commerce. And fourth would be about defense.

For the first agenda, I would like to know if Japan would be interested in renewing the 1960 Japan-Philippines Treaty of Amity, Commerce and Navigation

@Teikoku

Last edited:

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
The looks on the faces of the Japanese delegates, including the Prime and Foreign Ministers, all changed as the Filipino President made his comments regarding the Emperor, as if it were perfectly timed; some displayed shock, other disapprovement, but one thing was noticeably clear, the Japanese were not happy with the President over-stepping.

The Prime Minister wanting to fire back, kept himself in his diplomatic manner, "The Emperor is in perfectly good condition, like I said, you don't need to bother yourself with our internal matters".

With the Foreign Minister being rather familiar with the agreement, he whispered into the ear of the Prime Minister. There was a brief exchange of whispered conversation between the two. After a minute of so had passed, the Prime Minister looked towards the Filipino President. "Yes, we agree to the renewal of the Treaty".

Apingdaldal

Jul 1, 2018
President Duterte observes the reaction of his Japanese host . In his mind, President Duterte is just giving the Japanese a subtle head-up that several countries such as Australia are publicly (and vehemently) opposed with the current Japanese politics, and there is possibility that other counties, especially European and North American countries, would take the same opinion as well. And knowing the trend happening over the past years, countries has tendencies to “dogpile” on new countries. But seeing from their subtle body language and facial expressions of disappointment, he will take a mental note not to discuss it anymore to avoid offending them despite of genuine concern, good faith, and good intentions. On a mental note, he will just hope that Japan would not suffer the same fate of earlier countries; and that Japan would not experience unnecessary pressure from other countries.

President Duterte would just remain composed, never showing any negative expression and body language towards his respectful Japanese hosts.

“That’s good to hear. That’s a perfect start.” says President Duterte on the approval of the renewal of th existing treaty. President Dutert takes out the new draft of the renewed Japan-Philippines Treaty of Amity, Commerce, and Navigation. He affixes his signature hands over it to PM Abe.

Once it’s signed, he will proceed to the next (more important) topics.

@Teikoku

Last edited:

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
The Prime Minister took the draft of the treaty of the President and placed it front of him. He then picked up his pen, which lay on the table, and planted his signature upon it. He then passed it to the Foreign Minister, who followed suit and signed the treaty.

"Ah, there we are, the Treaty is now officially renewed," the Foreign Minister said with a smile on his face.

Apingdaldal

Jul 1, 2018
"Domo Arigatou gozaimasu, Abe-san, Koizumi-san." President Duterte thanking them in crude but understandable Japanese as he receives the renewed Japan-Philippines Treaty of Amity, Commerce, and Navigation,

Seeing that the mood of the Japanese host has been positively restored, President Duterte would present more draft documents for Foreign Affairs minister Koizumi and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to review and hopefully accept.

"Now for the next agenda; I would like to know if you would be interested in signing a Free Trade Agreement. The FTA will obviously aim to ease up tariffs on imports between our countries, which is beneficial for both of us since our products shall be more competitive in the global market. We also plan to propose trade routes and establish direct flights between Philippines and Japan if we will have a Free Trade Agreement.

I would also like to know if Japan would be interested in signing either a Non-Aggression Pact or moreso a Mutual Defense Treaty. Personally, given the not-so-far distance between us and given both our country is strategically located in the Asia Pacific region; I would be glad to have a Mutual Defense Treaty with Japan. Since 1956, Japan has been paying WWII reparations to the Philippines until the previous Philippine administration. I have repealed the 1956 Reparation Agreement during my term because I strongly believe that it is time to forge a stronger alliance to Japan.

If you would be interested in these 2 new propositions; I have drafts here to show you."

@Teikoku

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
When faced with the proposal of a Free-Trade Agreement, Abe gave a long pause. It was known that a FTA may cause Japanese industry to move to the Philippines, and undermine Japanese made goods. Despite Duterte saying it would be beneficial, the FTA didn't appear so for Japan; it benefited only the country proposing it. Knowing full well Duterte's proposal was to be declined, Abe gave a simply reply: "Your proposal of a Free-Trade Agreement is kind, though we'll have to discuss it with the Emperor once our meeting has concluded."

The next two proposals that followed were, not unattractive per se, but seemed rather unusual to the motives. "A Non-Aggression Pact! I don't see us needing to sign that, I can safely say that we have no intention to conduct aggression, and I like to think that goes for the Philippines as well."

Concerning the war reparations, the Foreign Minister smiled as Duterte claimed that he repealed the agreement. He knew this was certainly not the case as Japan had ended the payment of war reparations in 1977, not just to the Philippines, but to all recipients. With all these proposals and claims, Koizumi thought that the Philippines was cuddling up to Japan, but for what? What was Duterte planning that required Japanese support? The Mutual Defence Treaty seemed attractive even despite these thoughts, he knew that this could be utilised by Japan to rival Australia.
"The Mutual Defence Agreement however, sounds much more agreeable; it'll bring greater security to us, and to the region."
The Foreign Minister took the MDA a scanned through it.
"It seems we're prepared to sign this now"
He took out his pen, and placed upon the MDA his signature, handing it back to Duterte for him to sign.

Apingdaldal

Jul 1, 2018
[OOC: The draft documents of the FTA and MDT was not presented yet as Pres. Duterte is waiting for PM Abe to tell him that he is interested in the idea of an FTA and MDT, before he shows the actual documents.]

Seeing that his Japanese host has shown interestin signing an Mutual Defense Treaty (with Foreign Minister Koizumi already holding a pen already), President Duterte would call the PSG bodyguard who is holding a briefcase full of documents. He will bring out the draft document of the Mutual Defense Treaty and present it to Prime Minister Abe and Foreign Minister Koizumi:

Mutual Defense Treaty Between the Federal Republic of the Philippines and the State of Japan

The Parties to this Treaty,

Reaffirming their friendship, solidarity, and their mutual desire to live in peace with all people and Governments,

Desiring to declare publicly and formally their sense of unity and their common determination to defend themselves against external armed attack, so that no potential aggressor could be under the illusion that either of them stands alone,

Desiring further to strengthen their present efforts for collective defense for the preservation of peace and security pending the development of a more comprehensive system of regional security,

Have agreed as follows:

ARTICLE I

The Parties undertake to settle any international disputes in which they may be involved by peaceful means in such a manner that international peace and security and justice are not endangered.

ARTICLE II

In order more effectively to achieve the objective of this Treaty, the Parties separately and jointly by self-help and mutual aid will maintain and develop their individual and collective capacity to resist armed attack.

ARTICLE III

The Parties, through their Foreign Ministers or their deputies, will consult together from time to time regarding the implementation of this Treaty and whenever in the opinion of either of them the territorial integrity and political independence or security of either of the Parties is threatened by external armed attack.

ARTICLE IV

Each Party recognizes that an armed attack in the territorial land/water and exclusive economic zone (EEZ) on either of the Parties would be dangerous to its own peace and safety and declares that it would act to meet the common dangers in accordance with its constitutional processes.

ARTICLE V

For the purpose of Article IV, an armed attack on either of the Parties is deemed to include an armed attack on the metropolitan territory of either of the Parties, or on the island territories under its jurisdiction, or within it's Exclusive Economic Zones, or on its armed forces, public vessels or aircrafts both.

ARTICLE VI

This Treaty shall be ratified by the Philippines and Japan in accordance with their respective constitutional processes.

ARTICLE VII

This Treaty shall remain in force indefinitely. Either Party may terminate it one year after notice has been given to the other Party.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF have signed this Treaty.

Signing for:

Philippines: Rodrigo Roa Duterte - President (Federal Republic of the Philippines)

Japan: (please sign here)

Done at Osaka, Japan on July 2012 in duplicate originals, in the English and Japanese language.

As for the document of the Free Trade Agreement; President Duterte will not take it out since the he reckoned from the expression and the polite gesture of decline from his Japanese host that they are not interested in it. President Duterte would respond accordingly:

"No issue. Please take your time to discuss this with your Emperor whether they accept the idea or not. If your Emperor is welcome in seeing the our FTA draft, just let me know. Moving forward, kindly review the MDT draft and see if all clauses are acceptable. Please take your time to discuss the MDT draft with your Emperor if it's deemed necessary.

Going back to trade, even without an FTA, I am still interested in the idea of engaging exports with Japan, particularly in the trading of our national export products . How about you? "

@Teikoku

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
"We thank you for your patients Mr President." The Foreign Minister and Prime Minister took the MDT draft and read through it.
"This seems straight forward enough, I can say that where happy to sign this now." The Foreign Minister said as he picked up his pen and sign the document.

Mutual Defense Treaty Between the Federal Republic of the Philippines and the State of Japan

The Parties to this Treaty,

Reaffirming their friendship, solidarity, and their mutual desire to live in peace with all people and Governments,

Desiring to declare publicly and formally their sense of unity and their common determination to defend themselves against external armed attack, so that no potential aggressor could be under the illusion that either of them stands alone,

Desiring further to strengthen their present efforts for collective defense for the preservation of peace and security pending the development of a more comprehensive system of regional security,

Have agreed as follows:

ARTICLE I

The Parties undertake to settle any international disputes in which they may be involved by peaceful means in such a manner that international peace and security and justice are not endangered.

ARTICLE II

In order more effectively to achieve the objective of this Treaty, the Parties separately and jointly by self-help and mutual aid will maintain and develop their individual and collective capacity to resist armed attack.

ARTICLE III

The Parties, through their Foreign Ministers or their deputies, will consult together from time to time regarding the implementation of this Treaty and whenever in the opinion of either of them the territorial integrity and political independence or security of either of the Parties is threatened by external armed attack.

ARTICLE IV

Each Party recognizes that an armed attack in the territorial land/water and exclusive economic zone (EEZ) on either of the Parties would be dangerous to its own peace and safety and declares that it would act to meet the common dangers in accordance with its constitutional processes.

ARTICLE V

For the purpose of Article IV, an armed attack on either of the Parties is deemed to include an armed attack on the metropolitan territory of either of the Parties, or on the island territories under its jurisdiction, or within it's Exclusive Economic Zones, or on its armed forces, public vessels or aircrafts both.

ARTICLE VI

This Treaty shall be ratified by the Philippines and Japan in accordance with their respective constitutional processes.

ARTICLE VII

This Treaty shall remain in force indefinitely. Either Party may terminate it one year after notice has been given to the other Party.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF have signed this Treaty.

Signing for:

Philippines: Rodrigo Roa Duterte - President (Federal Republic of the Philippines)

Japan: Junichiro Koizumi - Minister of Foreign Affairs (State of Japan)

Done at Osaka, Japan on July 2012 in duplicate originals, in the English and Japanese language.

"hmm, as it so happens we are rather interested in a Trade Deal. We are aware that the Philippines is a large exporter of agricultural goods. With a rising population, and therefore demand, we constantly need to import greater numbers of agricultural goods, we hoped that the Philippines could be one of our suppliers."

Apingdaldal

Jul 1, 2018
President Duterte expresses his appreciation for the signing of the Mutual Defense Treaty. He receives the counter-sign Mutual Defense Treaty document and puts one copy back into his briefcase. He would continue with the discussion:

"Yes you are correct that Philippines is a major exporter of agricultural products. Afterall, Philippines is an agricultural country. We can definitely export agricultural products to Japan given that Philippines is historical a top exporter of banana, coconut, and mangoes to Japan.

We also like to export copper and nickel ores to Japan. Philippines has been historically and a traditional exporter of these metal ores to Japan, which are vital raw materials for Japan's solid global reputation of it's solid-state electronics industry.

As for my country, demands for entry-level vehicles is always there. Vehicles such as sedans, pick-up trucks, SUV's and motorcycles. Philippines is also interested in importing medical equipment from Japanese as we acknowledge Japan as a global leader of medical technology and precision medicine.

With all these said, here's what we have in mind.

Trade Deal # 1: Agricultural Products - Vehicles

1. Philippines will export agricultural products to Japan, mainly bananas, coconuts, and mangoes to Japan. Shipment will be done WEEKLY. We will assign our M/V Doña Paz for this arrangement, origin would be in the Port of Zamboanga (Philippines). We highly suggest that the destination would be at Port of Tokyo so that delivery of these agricultural products to your Tsukiji Market will be faster.

2. Japan will export an assorted consignment of entry-level, non-luxury vehicles consisting of sedans, SUV's pick-up trucks, and motorcycles (Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Honda, Isuzu, Mazda, Subaru, Suzuki, Kawasaki) to Philippines' Port Irene. Shipment will be done MONTHLY

3. Quantity and value of trades shall be of equivalence.

Trade Deal # 2: Copper and Nickel Ores - Medical Equipment

1. Philippines will export copper and nickel ores to Japan. Shipment will be done MONTHLY. We will assign our M/V Pride of Iloilo for this arrangement, origin would be in the Port of Iloilo (Philippines). Please advise us your desired destination port.

2. Japan will export medical equipment to Philippines' Port of Limay. Shipment will be done MONTHLY.

3. Quantity and value of trades shall be of equivalence.

What do you think, PM Abe and Minister Koizumi?

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
The Prime Minister looked through the proposed trade agreement. He was perfectly happy with the the first, however he took his time with the second. Metals ores were currently in large supply within the Japanese economy, bringing in to question its profitability. However, he saw that rather then put these metals onto the Japanese market, keep them withheld as a stockpile in preparation. He was prepared to agree to both proposals just as he noticed an issue.

"You've put down here that the goods will be of equal value; we have multiple concerns about that. We're after a set quantity of units or weight in relation to both the agricultural produce and metal ores. On top of this, market value of these goods fluctuate all the time so quantities would also fluctuate. Not only would that cause shortage and surplus problems within both our markets, it also requires greater logistics to manage.

Regarding the first trade draft (Agricultural Goods - Vehicles), we shall import the agricultural goods via the Port of Yokohama. The vehicles will be shipped by ITS Toko (イ輸舟 とこ) from the Port of Tokyo to Port Irene.

The second trade draft (Copper and Nickel Ores - Medical Equipment). The ores will be imported via the Port of Hakodate. The Medical Equipment shall be shipped by ITS Assabu (イ輸舟 厚沢部町) from the Port of Kumamoto to Port of Limay .

Other then the issue of exact quantities, we are rather happy worth the draft."

Apingdaldal

Jul 1, 2018
President Duterte would reply with a re-assuring voice:

"Regarding the issue of quantities, I can't see this as a major concern as shipment are done per month. Prior to shipment for each month, the value of products from Japan shall be commensurate to the value of the exported product for that month. So for example Philippines has delivered 20,000 metric tons of copper and nickel ores for the month of August, and the prevailing average price of copper and nickel ores in the commodity index for the month of August is let's say $10,000 dollars per metric ton, that metal ore consignment for the month of August would have a value of $200,000,000. In return, if the average retail price of a Toyota Corolla sedan is $20,000 per unit, a Mitsubishi Montero Sports SUV is $50,000 per unit, and a Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle is $10,000 per unit, then Japan can export 2,500 units of Toyota Corollas, 2,000x Mitsubishi Monteros, and 5,00x Kawasaki Ninjas for that month. There will be no fixed quantity of export especially on the side of Japan as it will always be commensurate with the prevailing market value per month.

Besides, I really don't think there will be a problem for Japan in terms of supply and demand. The global demand for Japanese electronics and electrical components grows exponential every year. As society modernize, so does the people's voracious appetite for latest gadgets. I am pretty sure that Japan will not experience an over supply of these vital metal ores given the consistently high demands.

If you still have some doubts or concerns, then we can indeed set a fix quantity per export. I am all open to suggestions."

@Teikoku

Latest posts

Todays Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ProbableBear