STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[The Holy See] A request for Clarification

Ender

The Holy See
GA Member
Jan 12, 2023
Unto: Benjamin Valentine Sinclair, Vice President of the United States (Odinson)
From: Pope Hadrian VII, Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God.
RE: Request for Clarification

Greetings and Blessings,

We are sorry to contact you in this fashion, but as you said We could prevail upon you should We need assistance. The Captain General of the Church Kilian MacNamara has been in negotiations and contact with a Stewart C. Hall, Deputy Secretary of Defense. And MacNamara has expressed that he is frankly exasperated and unsure of the stance that the Secretary is trying to take. He says that the man keeps politely shutting down his efforts on Our Behalf to establish an "American Guard" here in Vatican city. As such We figured we'd contact you for clarification on this matter. We have of course not been directly involved in these negotiations, though We are confident that you can get all the information you require directly from Mr. Hall.

Yours in Faith,

<Signed>
Pope Hadrian VII
Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
7JzI6cv.png
1024px-Seal_of_the_Vice_President_of_the_United_States.svg.png
Formal-flag-VP.png

OFFICE OF THE VICE PRESIDENT

ENCRYPTED MESSAGE

TO: His Holiness Hadrian VII, Pope of The Roman Catholic Church and Sovereign of The Vatican City State ( Ender )
FROM: Benjamin V. Sinclair, Vice President of the United States of America

Your Holiness,

It is a pleasure to hear from you again. I have spoken to representatives from the Department of Defense, the State Department, the Attorney General, as well as the President - I would be happy to clarify the position of the Federal Government in regard to the establishment of an "American Guard," as you put it.

The Vatican City State is of course a sovereign state and can establish military units at its pleasure. Historically, the United States has discouraged its citizens from joining foreign armed forces, even those that are allies of the United States. However, that did not stop Americans from joining the British Royal Air Force in World War Two before the United States entered the war, and today it does not stop some Americans from joining the Israeli Self Defense Forces, for example. The exception to this, however, would be an American joining the military of a country that the United States is at war with, as the United States Constitution clearly states: "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort."

If Your Holiness established an American Guard in the Vatican there is currently no reason for the Federal Government to condemn it or to try to prevent Americans from joining it (provided that they are not active duty American military). Really, the only way that would change is if the Vatican decided to take up arms against the United States or her allies. On the other hand, there is also no legal framework that would permit the United States Federal Government, or any agency within it, to actively recruit or encourage Americans to join this American Guard, as it would be a foreign military unit. In my conversations with the Attorney General, it would likely be illegal and unconstitutional for the Federal Government to use public money or a public platform to actively encourage Americans to join a foreign military unit.

With all of that being said, because the Vatican is such a small (and very unique) country which has diplomatic and friendly relations with the United States, and because there is no reason to believe this unit would ever be used against the United States or her allies, I can see no reasons the government would have to condemn it in any way. At the same time, the laws and Constitution of the United States simply do not make it possible for the government to endorse it in any official capacity. From what I have heard, the idea behind this unit would be employing American veterans - especially those who are less fortunate. As a veteran, I find this highly commendable. If Your Holiness does create this unit I would be honored to inspect it during a visit to Rome, and I feel confident that it would be a positive influence for both the Vatican and the world.

I hope that my comments have cleared things up. If Your Holiness has any further questions I would be happy to answer them.​

Very Respectfully,

Benjamin V. Sinclair
Vice President of the United States

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaiser Willheim II