STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: March

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 14/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[TURKEY] Spectrum: The Yellow Vests

Retroliser

-Insert Intriguing Title Here-
Sep 6, 2018

Ottoman%20Flag.png

The Yellow Vests

TRT%20Logo.png

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!" The host greeted enthusiastically. "Tonight's spectrum will be examining the new political movement sweeping continental Europe. The Yellow Vests, a nickname that has been born due to French people protesting the alleged inadequacy of their current President, Emmanuel Macron, wearing the high-visibility vests that they are required to possess by law. This ubiquity and visibility has made it a simple, and effective, symbol for those disenchanted with their current head of state to display their disdain. With me here in the studio is Doctor Rutherford, a confidant and ambassador serving Turkey. Thank you for coming here tonight, Doctor."

7th%20Doctor%20Rutherford.png

(Doctor Rutherford)

"Thank you for having me." The short intellectual replied with a slightly Scottish accent, while wearing a panama hat with a paisley hatband, a cream safari jacket with a short red scarf, paisley tie and white shirt, plaid trousers, brown and white spectator brogues and a yellow knitted tanktop with green lining and row upon row of bright red question marks.

"Now, Doctor, as a well-travelled man of the world, what are your thoughts on this particular issue brewing in France?"

"Well, I think that it's a natural response," He stated bluntly. "With the passing of the recent unusual weather patterns that caused the sea to, literally, freeze. People who have been busy fighting for their own survival are now questioning whether those in power, their respective governments, have performed in a manner that they deem satisfactory. It is only natural that there will be a very small segment of each nation's citizenry that would be disgruntled, no matter what, it's when popular discontent, such as what we're seeing now, that provides a real insight into how the people feel about their elected officials."

"So, you believe that the various countries facing unrest, such as Ireland, France and Germany deserve this?"

"Ah, now I never said that," The doctor replied forcefully. "What I'm saying is that it is an indicator of the people's opinion. The most common method that an individual uses to display their thoughts regarding their presidents and prime ministers is within the secrecy of the ballot box. However, such a thing only happens once every four to five years. When you believe that your government has mistreated you, or acted negligently, in a manner that's truly staggering, even the most mild-mannered and docile of citizens may be persuaded to man the barricades and engage in public unrest to show, unequivocally, that they are NOT happy."

"Very interesting indeed," The host remarked. "Now, we shall have a quick look and see if any of our international guests have accepted our invitation to discuss the topic with us today."​

Last edited:

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
To ensure a governmental opinion is passed on the broadcast, the Kingdom of Sweden has accepted the invitation - Minister for Government Coordination Ibrahim Baylan from the Office of the Prime Minister welcomes questioning from the host via Skype.

Retroliser

Sep 6, 2018
@Connor
"Joining us now from The Kingdom of Sweden is Ibrahim Baylan, Minister For Government Coordination. Welcome to Spectrum. We have a variety of questions that we hope you will be able to convey your thoughts, and the thoughts of your government.
  1. What do you, and The Swedish Government, currently think of The Yellow Vest movements springing up in various countries of Western Europe? Are there any you support? Which do you deplore?
  2. 2. Do you, or Sweden, believe that the popular movement may spread to other nations, like Norway, or yourself?
  3. What do you think that this wave of popular discontent means? Do you agree with Doctor Rutherford, or do you believe there's a different reason that this is occurring now?"

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
“Thank you, thank you for having me” Ibrahim mutters over the voice of the host as he’s greeted.

“I think I speak on behalf of Sweden, not just the government, if not the world when I say that freedom of speech is something we need to be able to recognise globally whilst also understanding and respecting moral boundaries. What’s important to remember is these people have been going through thick and thin during the recent storms thatve dessimated Europe so tensions and high... evidently they expected more from central government and would like to express their views. Whilst I respect the need for democracy, this does not go hand-in-hand with violence, hate speech or any other crimes against the person; we have systems in place for groups, like The Yellow Vest Movement, to have their voices heard.”

Ibrahim smiles and takes a brief sip of water before continuing once the host completes the next question.

“Political movements like this very commonly spread, especially with use of the internet and social media. I would be surprised if other European countries don’t experience some form of social movement as a result of the actions in France; this includes Scandinavia. I do encourage the use of your voice to get your opinions heard.”

The next question comes through after a brief pause and he answers the final question.

“What I believe Doctor Rutherford is trying to convey is the need for central governments to step back and hear the voices of those trying their hardest to be heard. This has the capability to be a very constructive conversation but their message could very easily be diluted with recklessness”

Ibrahim places both his hands inside each other, resting them on the desk in front of him and smiling as he awaits response from the host.

Retroliser

Sep 6, 2018
"Thank you for your answers, sir!" The host stated gratefully. "Do you have anything to say in response to that, Doctor?"

"Not especially, what he has said regarding the need for central government to PERSISTENTLY monitor the needs and will of the people is precisely what needs to be done," Doctor Rutherford remarked. "Even though many politicians would like the average voter to suddenly vanish until they're needed to keep them in power at the next election, they do not. The actions of government affect everyone, from the destitute to the affluent. The elected officials we rely on must constantly be aware of the public's needs, and strive to meet them. Otherwise, you demonstrate that you might not be the right people to entrust with the task of running the country.

As much as we believe it to be the case, politics and governance are actually two very separate topics. The first is a constant, and often toxic, battle between varying ideas of how government should work, and what the eventual culmination should be. Whether it be a fascist, democratic, anarchist or communist state, they all firmly believe that they hold the key to making the lives of the average citizen better and longer. Governance, on the other hand, is the actual mechanics of keeping the country afloat, which is far more complex than just thinking about what one believes their country should be like."

NagandEmerald

His Imperial & Royal Majesty, Friedrich IV
Aug 18, 2018
Upon being invited to the broadcast, former Chancellor Angela Merkel, and one of the few currently-seated members of CDU/CSU at the Reichstag, was dispatched by the Federal Government to answer any questions and to give her own opinion on the Yellow Vests.

Dragon

32 County Republic of Ireland
Sep 1, 2018
Upon invitation to the broadcast, anarchist Roy Venter and Fine Gael parliamentarian Leana Gallagher were dispatched by The Free Territory and by the Government of Èire to discuss matters regarding the yellow vest movement.

Retroliser

Sep 6, 2018
@Dragon
"Alright, ladies and gentlemen!" The host chirped excitedly. "We have three new guests on the line. So, please, pardon me for asking you to hang fire for just a moment, Mr. Baylan and Doctor Rutherford. Our new guests are Roy Venter, an Irish anarchist, one of a group of people who, in the aftermath of the storm, have come together to pioneer a new form of living on The Island of Ireland via the ideology of anarchism. The second is Leana Gallagher, an Irish MP affiliated with Fine Gael, and supporter of The Irish Republic. Finally, we have former German Chancellor, also known as The Iron Frau, The Second Iron Chancellor, and The Mother of Germany, Angela Merkel.

Since we have such a massive influx of callers to our discussion tonight, I shall act as the 'silent' speaker for this. Hopefully, we will have time to allow everyone to not only display their respective thoughts on the issue tonight, but also have the opportunity to discuss the topic with each other.

Regardless, Let's first bring our two Gaelic guests in so that they can both provide their answers to the same questions I asked Mr. Baylan.
  1. What do you currently think of The Yellow Vest movements springing up in various countries of Western Europe? Are there any you support? Which do you deplore?
  2. Do you, or Sweden, believe that the popular movement may spread to other nations?
  3. What do you think that this wave of popular discontent means? Do you agree with Doctor Rutherford, Mr. Baylan, or do you believe there's a different reason that this is occurring now?
Also, I would like to ask some specific questions to each of you. Firstly, to Leana Gallagher:
  1. What are your thoughts on the anarchist movement gripping parts of Ireland at the moment? Do you believe that they have valid grievances that they are trying to remedy themselves, or are you perhaps more inclined to believe that they are merely trouble makers?
  2. Are there any plans to try and make peace with those who have decided that the system of governance you support is not legitimate? Naturally, if that's a matter of national security, you are free to not answer this query.
As for Mr. Roy Venter, we have some questions we'd like you to take the time to answer:
  1. What, exactly, is anarchism, and why has THIS particular political ideology sprung up in Ireland, instead of a more common one, such as communism?
  2. If the Irish government do seek to try and address your grievances, are you willing to listen to what they have to offer, or have they, in your mind, totally destroyed all possible chances of salvaging their legitimacy?"

Dragon

32 County Republic of Ireland
Sep 1, 2018
Leana Gallagher, the Fine Gael MP from County Donegal would think for a brief period and would answer her set of questions requested by the host.

"The Anarchist movement in Èire, for all its worth presents an existential threat to the administration I serve and the good people of County Donegal which I represent in the house of commons. So far it seems as though, they are attempting to prepare an insurrection against the legitimate government. But despite this, they're grievences are not without good reason after all the manner in which my government handled the recent crisis was far too Authoritarian and apathetic to be taken seriously by Irishmen accustomed to liberal democracy.

Regarding question two, I'm inclined to think that some sort of compromise or an attempt at reason would be sufficent for resolving current disputes that may exist between us and our anarchist rivals." She uttered in a quiet brogue typical of her native Donegal. She then passed the mic over to Mr. Venter.

"Well...Anarchism, is a movement for revolutionary change from the ground up which calls into question the legitimacy of both the state and finance capital, whose interests or rather privileges are safeguarded by state which protects them from their competition and allows for capitalist exploitation of the working Irishmen. The reason for anarchism's relative success is due in part to the fact that the Irish people especially the working and lower middle class are sick of state oppression and capitalist exploitation which has made a living off of the hellscape they have created at the detriment of others. What anarchism purposes, is a reorganization of society along lines which ensure the rights of all and the elimination of those forces which can only be described as parasites.

In regards to possible attempts to redemption, I cannot guarantee any results that might allow the state to get away Scot free after nearly 5,000 years of tyranny. "

Retroliser

Sep 6, 2018
@Dragon
"Most interesting, and what about the three more general questions, which Mr. Baylan had answered. If you were asked the same questions, what would your respective answers be?"

Ellie

Indian People's Democratic Federal Republic
Sep 4, 2018
The French would politely decline the invitation.

Logan

Senior
Jul 1, 2018
In response to the invitation sent to various officials, it was decided that Princess Rozenn (Navarre), Duchess of Savoy and Princess D'Este, would accept the Invitation to call into the program, on behalf of her Brother, King Vincenzo. She would be speaking both in her official capacities as the Heir Apparent and an Air Force Major, as well as in the personal capacity as a sibling to Italy's sovereign.

Retroliser

Sep 6, 2018
@Logan
@NagandEmerald
"While we let them mull those questions, let's bring in some more guests. We have received word from our potential French guests that they will NOT be gracing us with their presence. However, we do have Angela Merkel and Her Royal Highness, Princess Rozenn, the sibling of The King Of Italy. Hello to you both, we are honoured to have you here tonight!

Now, before I pose a question to all of our guests so far, I'd like to hear what you both have to say about the current situation regarding The Yellow Vests in general. Do you agree with their methods? Do you accept their grievances are genuine? What should be done to rectify the situation?"

NagandEmerald

Aug 18, 2018
Thank you, you're too kind," Merkel greeted with a warm, inviting smile. "Regarding the Yellow Vests, I would say that the Yellow Vests in France could learn one or two things from the current protests in Germany. A large majority of the German populace are protesting, but in peaceful ways, with the rioting and violence being left to extremists who get put down very quickly by German police. That being said, I cannot blame them for being as violent as they are." As soon as she said this, her smile dropped and turned to a more neutral expression, one that most people were familiar with when they thought of the Iron Frau.

"In France, Macron has remained silent in order to boost his own ego, rather than admitting defeat. To rectify the situation, I honestly think that Macron should, firstly, talk with his people and get a better understanding of their grievances. After that, I would hope that he would act on them in a way that satisfies both parties, but given what we have been seeing, I do not think that this is a likely situation anytime soon; Macron is a classic example of someone who enjoys playing with the power they're given...this does not fit with the democratic narrative that France has been trying to set for itself since Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo in 1815. In which case, I implore the French populace to stop the violence, as it solves nothing and only contributes to a downfall that France will face, and an even darker path that they will follow."

Last edited:

Logan

Senior
Jul 1, 2018
"Thank you, kind sir. Violence is never an acceptable response except in the most extenuating of circumstances, and even then it must be applied sparingly and not to one's fellow citizenry. While I certainly can agree with many of their grievances and implore on the French Government, and Macron especially, to offer some sort of redress for their grievances, I also think the Yellow Vests and this new group, the "Reds", would do well for themselves to end their violent rampages through the cities of France and to engage with the French Government peacefully and with their primary weapons being their voices, not their firebombs."

Retroliser

Sep 6, 2018
@Dragon @Connor @Logan @NagandEmerald
"Thank you both for your opinions," The host replied. "With five nations now present, in one form or another, here on Spectrum, we shall now give our guests the opportunity to confer and discuss with each other about their views, and any misgivings they may have. We shall begin with Doctor Rutherford."

"Thank you," The doctor said, while tenting his fingers thoughtfully. "I feel that we are all agreed on the idea that The Yellow Vests are definitely the result of disdain for the current political establishment boiling over. It is beyond a doubt that if the storm had never occurred, we would have continued as normal, but this was a unique event, which required a unique response. However, complacency and inertia, to some degree, caused suffering to occur, which the people were not willing to forgive. As such, they displayed their anger. After all, the average citizen sacrifices much in the way of freedom in the most literal sense, by being bound by the laws of the nation state, and financially, through the begrudging payment of taxes. With all of that being handed to the state, it is only natural that they expect, and deserve, something in return.

In the case of the storm, they expected the government that they pay for to protect them, to guide them, however the varying degrees of failure to execute this duty across Europe has caused an equally sizeable backlash. Even now, in Germany, questions are being asked by the people whether it was right to restore the monarchy, when it apparently did not provide any protection from the hardships of the cold. France is in open revolt, the silence, and unpopular actions, of the French president are the embers which have ignited into a firestorm of fury with the assistance of the blizzard that encased Europe in snow and ice. As for Ireland itself, it is now split in two, the total inactivity of the government there giving rise to the possibility that, maybe, no government at all would be the best path forward.

I do believe that we should watch this space carefully and cautiously. There is much the political caste of society needs to learn and consider, because wilful or reckless ignorance of the events that have occurred over the past year will definitely exact a heavy price for not doing so."

NagandEmerald

Aug 18, 2018
"This was an event beyond our capability to really understand, however. Arctic oscilation started very early-on, and even if we had gotten researchers to the Arctic Circle to do research, it would have been too late as it is." Merkel expanded upon, "I think it had less to do with the storm and more-so with the supposed unity that countries now have. If there is anything I can say about this, as a career politician of Germany, it's that stability and unity breeds boredom, especially amongst the more impressionable youth. Without the storm, it's arguable that protests and riots would not be nearly as bad as they are now, but I don't think that is the case at all. I think that, with time, these protests and riots would be just as bad as they are now. The storm only exasperated the symptoms of an even greater problem that all politicians face."

Latest posts

Todays Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikhail2001