STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: March

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 14/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

United States | 2000 Presidential Debates

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
First 2000 Presidential Debate
Foreign Policy & International Affairs

On October 3rd, President Al Gore and Speaker of The House George W. Bush met at the University of Massachusetts in Boston for the first of two presidential debates. This first debate would cover topics of United States foreign policy and international affairs, while the second debate would cover domestic affairs of the United States. Those invited to the debates were an equal number of Republicans and Democrats, and also a limited number of students from the University of Massachusetts. The election between President Gore and Speaker Bush had so far included more negative campaigning than was normal in an American presidential campaign, nevertheless the candidates had mostly managed to avoid insulting each other's character. A stereotype of modern American politics is that Republicans are sterner in foreign policy and are better at leading the nation in times of war or international troubles, while Democrats are more sympathetic to the working man. These generalizations are not, of course, entirely accurate - especially for these two candidates.

The debate started at time at 8:00PM EST. Jim Lehrer, the primetime anchor of PBS NewsHour, was the first thing that over 70-million Americans saw on their screens. He would be the moderator that evening.

MODERATOR: Good evening from the Clark Athletic Center at the University of Massachusetts in Boston. I’m Jim Lehrer of the NewsHour on PBS, and I welcome you to the first of two debates between the Democratic candidate for president, President Al Gore and the Republican candidate, Speaker George W. Bush of Texas. The debates are sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates and they will be conducted within formats and rules agreed to between the commission and the two campaigns. We’ll have the candidates at podiums. No answer to a question can exceed two minutes. Rebuttal is limited to one minute. But as moderator I have the option to follow up and to extend any particular give and take another three-and-a-half minutes. Even then, no single answer can exceed two minutes. The candidates under their rules may not question each other directly. There will be no opening statements, but each candidate may have up to two minutes for a closing statement. The questions and the subjects were chosen by me alone - tonight we will entirely focus on foreign policy and international affairs. I have told no one from the two campaigns, or the Commission, or anyone else involved what they are. There is a small audience in the hall tonight. They are not here to participate, only to listen. I have asked, and they have agreed, to remain silent for the next 90 minutes. Except for right now, when they will applaud as we welcome the two candidates, Speaker Bush and President Gore.

25ORAHISTORYweb4-articleLarge.jpg

MODERATOR: And now the first question as determined by a flip of a coin, it goes to President Gore. President Gore, you have questioned whether Speaker Bush has the experience to be President of the United States. What exactly do you mean?

GORE: Well, Jim, I would first like to thank the University of Massachusetts and the Commission on Presidential Debates for organizing this event. These debates are important for our republic and for the American people, and I appreciate the work that you all put into this event tonight. Now, Jim, I do not think I have ever said that Speaker Bush does not have the experience. What I have questioned, though, are some of his proposed policies. I know that tonight's debate is focused on foreign policy so I will stick to that - but I respectfully believe that Speaker Bush's proposals for how we work with our allies and partners around the world, and how we handle our adversaries, would not be productive. We are partners with our allies in Europe and our friends around the world. I first and foremost believe that we must do what is best for the American people, but that is normally accomplished working with our partners instead of giving them orders. I also believe in talking to our adversaries. During my administration we have been successful in thwarting conflict numerous times because we were able to come to an understanding with others or fix a misunderstanding.

MODERATOR: Speaker Bush, one minute rebuttal.

BUSH: Well, we do come from different places. I come from West Texas where I represent the 19th Congressional District. I was chosen by my pears to be Speaker of the United States House of Representatives and I have overseen the creation and passage of a number of laws. I have served in the military and I was a fighter pilot. I know what it is to lead men and I know what it is to represent the people. I have worked directly in the law-making process, and I have even reached across the aisle and worked with folks, like President Gore, to make sure that we can get effective legislation through Congress. I think you can really put a distinction between President Gore and I when you look at how we want the national budget to look. President Gore wants to spend money on railroads and windmills, which aren't necessarily bad, but I firmly believe we need a strong military to protective our nation and our interests around the world.

MODERATOR: So, Mister President, I take it by your answer that when you were quoted in a recent interview with the "Washington Post" you purely meant that you disagreed with Speaker Bush's policies, and not that he does not have the necessary experience to be President?

GORE: Yes, Jim. For example, I pointed out that Speaker Bush wants to cut taxes by five-percent, yet he also wants to build ten more aircraft carriers and the fleets to accompany them. I also believe that we need a strong military, and our armed forces have grown significantly under my administration. But we have to be fiscally responsible. More than that, we have to be realistic. I believe that we need to make investments in national, regional, and local rail networks because that kind of transportation is going to be important in the future. It was the transportation of our parents and grandparents until we got the federal highway system. It will be more efficient for our economy, safer for the environment, and more convenient for the American people - not only that, but it will be something that this generation, and the next ten can enjoy and build off of. I will also point out that we have built a new carrier under my administration, dozens of state-of-the-art destroyers, and many cutting-edge submarines. And we are building more! I want the best equipment for our sailors, soldiers, and airmen and I want them to have all that they need.

MODERATOR: Thank you, Mister President. We are going to-

BUSH: Let me just say - thank you, Jim. Let me just say that what President Gore and I are proposing are very different. He is looking for a gradual increase in the size of our armed forces. From what I can see, we have entered a period of global instability that cannot be ignored. We needed a powerful military yesterday, when the Clinton-Gore Administration was scaling down our armed forces. I understand that the situation was different just five years ago, but we need more foresight when it comes to national leadership. We can negotiate, and talk, and talk, and talk, and hope that someone is listening - or we can be strong and prepared to respond to threats around the world. If you choose to elect me as President of the United States, we will begin construction on two new aircraft carriers during my first month in office and we will reassess who our friends and enemies are around the world - because not everyone is our friend. It's that simple.

MODERATOR: Speaker Bush, this question is for you now. Do you think that it was right for the United States to go to war with Turkey, and do you think it was handled correctly by the government?

BUSH: I fully support our armed forces and valiant effort that they made in Turkey. Had it not been for our efforts, the war in Turkey would still be going on. I can definitively say that it was the right decision to go to war with Turkey. They didn't leave us much of a choice and they started a genocide on their own people. That is not and will never be acceptable. While our armed forces fought valiantly and we, eventually, did the right thing by going to war with Turkey, we should have acted sooner, and we should have punched harder. American ground troops saw very little action in Turkey. The Marines should have been marching on Istanbul in a month. Instead, what happened? The administration had to play diplomacy and appease the British, the Australians, the Israelis, the Swedish, and the Russians - the last two I just mentioned, by the way, are not even countries we should be trusting in military operations. We had the strength and ability to sink the Turkish navy, ground and destroy its air force, and invade the country all in two months - we could have and should have done this on our own and allowed the British and Australians to provide logistical support and perimeter defenses. We-

MODERATOR: I'm sorry Mister Speaker, but your time is up. President Gore, your one minute response.

GORE: With all due respect, that was neither fair nor accurate. The Turks had approximately two-hundred F-16s, and possibly more. They bought these from Sparrow Industries. We caught them trying to build even more and I directed the State Department to stop Sparrow from exporting more to Turkey. These aircraft, designed in America by Americans, were going to be used to kill American, British, and other allied servicemen. It was clear to me, and it was clear to the Pentagon, that we would need assistance from our partners in Europe. We had to crush the Turkish air force and we had to sink their navy. Yes, we could have done it alone, but at what cost? The war against Turkey saw no Americans killed - not one. How incredible is that? We had virtually the entire surface fleet of the Navy deployed in the North Atlantic or the Mediterranean Sea. Out of all of those soldiers, sailors, and airmen, we didn't lose a single one and we still got the job done. That's because we worked with the British, the Swedish, and the Russians in the Mediterranean. They each brought something to the table, we worked together, and they pulled their fair share.

MODERATOR: That's your time, Mister President.

24ORALHISTORYweb1-sub-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

BUSH: Jim- Jim look, I have to respond to that. The fact that we lost no lives in that war is thanks to our leaders in the Pentagon and our servicemen in the field. As fantastic as that is, it is beyond the point. We should not have to work with such large coalitions of countries, some of which I wouldn't even call our friends let alone our allies. The Russians are having a change in government every other year and the Swedes have a de facto colony in South Africa - has everyone forgotten about that? Swedish troops are still in South Africa, right now, oppressing the native people there in an illegal occupation. Why should we work with them, why should we trust them? And why are we allowing Sparrow Industries to export these aircraft and weapons all over the world? I can tell you that we shouldn't, and we have the means to stop it. Sparrow Industries is not a sovereign nation and they have as much blood on their hands as the Turks do.

MODERATOR: Alright gentlemen, I'm trying to keep to the rules here. We have surpassed three and a half minutes. Now... Yes, Mister President I will give you thirty seconds but then we are moving on to a new question. Thirty seconds.

GORE: Had we not formed an international coalition, we would still be fighting in Turkey, and thousands of American sailors and soldiers would be dead or seriously wounded. We did the right thing working with other countries, period. I partly agree with Speaker Bush in regard to Sparrow Industries. The international arms trade has gone too far and the world needs to take measures to regulate it. I will soon have the United States Ambassador to the Global Assembly present a resolution that restricts the sale of weapons to foreign countries that pose a threat to global peace, makes arms trades more transparent, and holds the nations that these companies work in responsible for regulating them.

MODERATOR: I just want to remind both of you that your campaigns agreed to these rules, so I am just trying to uphold them as the moderator. So we are moving on to the next question. Mister President, this is sort of a complimentary question to Speaker Bush's question. The United States Naval Institute published several articles that offered some criticism to our response in Turkey, as did the Navy - the Institute noted that we did not have the necessary ships in place to ferry fifty-thousand soldiers to Europe and also criticized the timing of our fleet movements in the Atlantic and Mediterranean. The Navy openly said that they didn't have all of the proper armaments for this war and that things would be done differently in the future. Do claim responsibility for these shortcomings?

GORE: I claim full responsibility for all shortcomings and mistakes made on our side in this war. With that being said, I think our armed forces did an excellent job in unfavorable circumstances. Did we learn from this war? Yes! I can tell you some recently declassified things. For one, I have restarted blue-water patrols by the American Navy. We now operate in international and friendly waters to protect our interests, work with our allies, and protect global security. When the war with Turkey was declared our fleet had just come home from one of these deployments. Our sailors were trained, had practiced, and were ready for anything. These blue water deployment will allow us to respond quicker to international threats in the future. In regard to armaments, I agree with the Secretary of the Navy and the Naval Institute. Our previous policy was from the Cold War. We were ready to give "shock and awe", but our ships would not always set sail with the diverse assortment of missiles and weapons necessary to fight a war by sea, air, and land strikes. I have changed that, and now when our fleets deploy, they are not just ready for threats on every front, but they are ready to strike back with unrelenting force.

MODERATOR: Speaker Bush, your one-minute rebuttal.

BUSH: If the Navy had the right cruise missiles and the right sea strike missiles, the Navy could have flattened Turkish defenses in a week, by ourselves. If you choose to elect me as President we will not just have a couple of blue water patrols by our Navy. We will have three to four new carriers during my first term, regular armed patrols, and we will keep a very close watch on our those around the world that wish our harm and want to break global harmony. What has kept the world glued together since the end of World War Two has been the might of the American military and our leadership - I will continue that.

MODERATOR: Speaker Bush, you have repeatedly been critical of the countries that the federal government has been working with under the Gore Administration - you mentioned the Russians and Swedes earlier. Who do you think we should be working with instead?

BUSH: Jim, I want to make it clear. I want us to be friends with as many other countries around the world as we can. I think our international partnerships are important, but they cannot come at the expense of American interests. The British and the Australians are natural allies. We have worked with Anglo nations for centuries. I criticize our relationship with the Russians and Swedes because of our historical relationship with those countries, and because of their unpredictability. Like I said, Russia has been through three different governments in the past three years - not to mention they had been our enemy since the 1950s. Now look at Sweden, who was neutral in World War Two, and suddenly abandoned neutrality and disarmament in favor of erratically threatening nations around the world, tripling the size of their military, and colonizing Antarctica and South Africa. At best we can be cordial with Russia and Sweden, but they can't be our allies.

MODERATOR: Mister President, your one-minute response.

GORE: Jim, I remember the Cold War. Everyone watching remembers the Cold War. The Russians have been over a bumpy road after the fall of communism, but now they are trying to work with the world. They want to be partners with us and to work with us. I am confident that we have moved from enemies to adversaries, and we are now shifting from adversaries to partners. The Soviet Union and the United States came close to destroying mankind with nuclear weapons several times. Now imagine what our countries can do if we work together as partners. We can help building bridges instead of bombs and we can focus on global issues instead of thinking up ways to kill each other. In some ways I hold the Swedes in the same camp. They have shown more recently that they are willing to set aside their differences for the better of the world. They have already fought alongside us, so I'm willing to work with them more.

MODERATOR: President Gore, do you still value America's relationship with Great Britain, and do you think the Australians could be a worthy ally?

GORE: The British are our closest allies - there is no other country in the world that we can trust more than them. The British say that we have a "Special Relationship" and I agree with that. These past two years the Australians have come to us and made it clear that they want to be partners and work alongside us. I firmly believe that the Australians would make a reliable friend who brings a lot to the table. The State Department is, at this time, exploring diplomatic options with their government. There are other countries we can work with, like the Canadians, the Vietnamese, and the Koreans. Vietnam and our government signed an agreement to recognize the sovereignty of each other and to have a working relationship. We need to move past the war we had and look to the future. I believe that there are bright times ahead of us, but we need to make sure that we are ready for a dark hour in the future.

MODERATOR: Speaker Bush?

BUSH: A modern world where the British and the United States do not have a close relationship is unthinkable. We should foster that relationship and allow the British to work with us in whatever way benefits us both. But, I think that we can't be beholden to them, or the Australians, or the Vietnamese, or the Canadians. We must be able to act decisively and, if necessary, alone for the better good of our country and the world.

GettyImages-51565931.jpg

MODERATOR: Speaker Bush, who is our greatest geopolitical threat?

BUSH: It's simple: the communists. Whether they are in Russia, China, Vietnam, or any other country in the world. Communist parties all around the world have murdered millions, and sometimes hundreds-of-millions, of their own people. Their ideology is not tolerant of dissenting opinions - they hate the rich, and they hate the middle class. They hate religion, they hate the differences between men and women, and they hate morality. Communism is an ideology so poisonous and evil that we should extinguish, or at least isolate, any place that it takes hold. Specifically, I believe that China will eventually be a great geopolitical threat in the near future, I think that the likelihood of Russia's government to collapse again is possible and would be very destabilizing for the world order, and I think that Sweden's recklessness and unaccountability makes them a dangerous wild card that we are getting too close with. I am also concerned with the instability in Mexico, but that does not compare to the others.

MODERATOR: Yes, we are actually about to get to Mexico. Mister President, your rebuttal?

GORE: There is no one state that is our greatest geopolitical threat. What threatens our world most is destabilizing events that bring multiple countries into a war. Geopolitical threats to our country are ones that we would have trouble responding to. As much as we would all like to be isolationist and just worry about the Western Hemisphere, or North America, that is not an option. We have a moral obligation to the world to maintain the global order. Consider that if there was a global failure of the wheat harvest, where 75% or more of the wheat grown world-wide could not be harvested, a billion people would starve to death within six months. We must strive to keep the peace so that trade can continue and we can settle our differences like civilized people when possible.

MODERATOR: That's your one minute, Mister President. Sir, Mexico has been having serious issues for some time now. They have had what has basically been a civil war between their sovereign government and drug cartels. How should can we help the Mexicans with this extreme instability in their country?

GORE: The State Department has been in communications with the Mexican government. The Mexican government is winning in the skirmishes and conflicts against the drug cartels and is putting down civil disorder. All indications seem to predict that they will have this problem solved by the middle of 2001. I have offered assistance to the Mexican government, and I have spoken to the governors of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California. We have to keep our border secure and we should also be prepared to offer Mexico whatever kind of aid it needs. The federal government is planning to export military equipment to Mexico - this will help bolster their military and bring a surplus of money into the national treasury. I have directed the Border Patrol and the FBI to keep the U.S.-Mexican border closed until this conflict resolved. We are doing what needs to be done to keep America safe, and we have offered the Mexican government assistance. Now it is just a waiting game for their government, their police, and their military to resolve this problem.

MODERATOR: Speaker Bush, one minute, what say you?

BUSH: Jim, I say that's not good enough. These drug cartels are not protestors or little local gangs that are causing some minor gun violence. They're armed paramilitary organizations that sell poison to Mexicans and Americans. And now they're trying to take over the country that they're in. This level of corruption - it's not even corruption, it's so much more than that. This level of barbarism and violence can't be ignored. If I were President, the National Guards of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California would be federalized right now and on the border with their full complement of military equipment. And, if the tide of the war against the cartels started to go down, I would ask Congress for permission to intervene in the conflict and restore law and order. This is not a time of inaction, especially on our southern border.

MODERATOR: Speaker Bush, just to be clear, you are saying that you would have our armed forces invade Mexico?

BUSH: I'm saying that if the cartels were winning, we would have no choice. The cartels are not sovereign, they have no right legal right to govern Mexico and they no mandate from the Mexican people. Moreover, Mexico is our southern border. What kind of joke would it be for the world's only superpower to have a state in anarchy to the south of it? I hope that it wouldn't come to that, but if it did my administration would work very closely with the legitimate Mexican government to return Mexico to her people. On top of that, though, we need to take drugs more seriously.

GORE: Jim, Jim- I have to respond to that, I do. The Mexican government, and their military, are winning in these battles against the cartels. It is true that this is a serious situation, but it does not require us to invade Mexico. We have just gotten ourselves out of one war, and I do not want to bring us into another. We are readily prepared to provide the Mexican government with whatever they need to help fight these cartels and we already are by selling them military equipment. Also, may I add, that my administration has taken drugs very seriously. The Department of Education supports anti-drug programs in schools around the country and we have allocated hundreds-of-millions to the southern border to make sure that drugs do not get through.

MODERATOR: Gentlemen, one last question and then we will go to closing statements. I request that you both forgo your rebuttals because we are running short on time. Starting with President Gore: What do you think America's role is in global affairs?

GORE: America's role in global affairs is to provide security for the American people, whoever and wherever they may be, to secure our strategic interests, to ensure the safety of ourselves and our allies, and to defend and lead the Free World. With the great power that we have comes great responsibility. We have a moral duty to stop evil when we can and to help those who are willing to help themselves. As President I have brought allies and adversaries to the negotiating table. We have worked out solutions that have prevented conflicts and we have helped make the world a better and safer place. We can keep doing this, and if you want to head in the right direction I humbly ask that you cast your vote for me for President.

MODERATOR: Speaker Bush, same question: What do you think America's role is in global affairs?

BUSH: America's role is simple: we must do everything we can to benefit the American people and our country. No other country comes before the United States, regardless of who they are or what they need. We should only be part of international organizations that help us, not those that pulls us down and slow down our ability to react to problems. We do not need a consensus of others, be they the world or just allies, to act. In our role we need to be more decisive and strong. I do not believe that we have done all that we should have to defend American interests around the world. To fulfill our role we need a stronger military and we need to be prepared to use it.

MODERATOR: On that note we will stop here and go to closing statements. Speaker Bush is first.

BUSH: Thanks, Jim. Thank you to the University of Massachusetts and Mister President, thank you. It has been a good, lively exchange. There is a huge difference of opinion. Mine is I want to empower people in their own lives. I also want to go to Washington to get some positive things done. It is going to require a new spirit. A spirit of cooperation. It will require the ability of a Republican president to reach out across the partisan divide and to say to Democrats, let’s come together to do what is right for America. I know that you, the American People, want to live in a country that is safe. You're busy enough with work, starting businesses, and raising families to worry about what is happening on the other side of the world. That's why I strongly support that we spend the money to have a powerful military - an armed force so powerful that no one around the world would dare interfere or offend us. And, when necessary, we shouldn't be afraid to step up and act so that we can handle problems when they are far away, otherwise they'll eventually make their way here. I'm hopeful that the beginning of this twenty-first century is going to productive and bring technological wonders that we never would have thought possible. I’ve had a strong record of working with Democrats and Republicans in Texas to make sure no child is left behind. I understand the limited role of the federal government, but it could be a constructive role when it comes to reform, by insisting that there be a strong accountability systems. My intentions are to earn your vote and earn your confidence. I’m asking for your vote. I want you to be on my team. And for those of you working, thanks from the bottom of my heart. For those of you making up your mind, I would be honored to have your support.

MODERATOR: And President Gore, your closing remarks.

GORE: Thank you Jim. I want to thank everybody who watched and listened tonight because this is indeed a crucial time in American history. We’re at a fork in the road. We have this incredible prosperity, but a lot of people have been left behind. And we have a very important decision to make. Considering that we are already spending record amounts on the military, and that this number will still be going up in my next term, do we still need to double that amount? Or, can we set aside a portion of that money and use it on Americans and their families? Can we use that money for the public good and build railroads, homes, and clean forms of power generation? While we need to do everything we can to defend America, we have many places in America that need to be refurbished and refined. We have old cities that need new life. We have the Arsenal of Democracy, otherwise known as Detroit, and New York City that need revitalization. We also need better roads and schools in rural America. We can make all of these things happen, but we need the money to do it - and we must do it without putting our future generations in debt. I have been a soldier, a journalist, a congressman, a senator, Vice President, and President of the United States. I have the experience and I know what it takes to lead our country in uncertain times like this. I want to keep America safe and, at the same time, I want our country to be the most prosperous in the world - not just for the few, but for the many. Jim, thank you for moderating. Speaker Bush, thank you for the lively discussion, and my fellow Americans, thank you for your time.

MODERATOR: We will continue this dialogue next week on October 11th at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The format then will be more informal, more conversational with the two candidates seated at a table with me. Thank you, Speaker Bush, President Gore. See you next week. For now from Boston, I’m Jim Lehrer. Thank you, and good night.

151027093329-01-bush-gore-debate.jpg

Last edited:

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
Second 2000 Presidential Debate
Domestic Affairs

On October 11th, President Al Gore and Speaker of The House George W. Bush met at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina for the second of two presidential debates. This second debate covered domestic policy of the United States. Those invited to this debate were an equal number of Republicans and Democrats, and also a limited number of students from Wake Forest University's College Republicans and College Democrats. While the race for the presidency had so far included more negative campaigning than normal, that changed after the arrest of former Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney, who was revealed to be the ringleader behind the attack on the United States Capitol in 2/04 1997. Since then, President Gore and Speaker Bush have both focused more on their individual domestic and foreign policies. A stereotype of modern American politics is that Republicans are sterner in foreign policy and are better at leading the nation in times of war or international troubles, while Democrats are more sympathetic to the working man. These generalizations are not, of course, entirely accurate - especially for these two candidates.

The debate started at time at 8:00PM EST. Jim Lehrer, the primetime anchor of PBS NewsHour, was the first thing that over 82-million Americans saw on their screens. He would be the moderator that evening.

MODERATOR: Good evening, from Wake Chapel at Wake Forest University at Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I’m Jim Lehrer of the News Hour on PBS. Welcome to this second election 2000 debate between the Republican candidate for president, Speaker George W. Bush of Texas, and the Democratic candidate, President Al Gore. These debates are sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates. The format and the rules are those negotiated by representatives of the two campaigns. Only the subjects tonight and the questions are mine. The format tonight is that of a conversation. The only prevailing rule is that no single response can ever, ever exceed two minutes. The prevailing rule for the audience here in the hall is as always, absolute quiet, please. Good evening, Speaer Bush, President Gore. The end of our 90 minutes last week in Boston, the total time each of you took was virtually the same. Let’s see if we can do the same tonight, or come close. Speaker Bush, the first question goes to you. One of you is about to be elected the leader of the single-most powerful nation in the world, economically, financially, militarily, diplomatically, you name it. Have you formed any guiding principles for exercising this enormous power?

BUSH: Jim, I have. First a foremost, a President should be decisive, sure of himself, and surrounded by good and educated advisors. As much as I want to be able to depend on myself, I know that there are times where a good leaker seeks council from those around him. But, once a decision is made, that is final. That goes to say, Jim, that while foreign affairs are largely the preview of the Executive Branch, the United States needs a President that is also going to focus on important matters at home. We have problems here, domestically, that the federal government can lend a hand with. Record crime has rocked our major cities and unemployment is at five-percent. While I am a strong advocate of state's rights, there are measures that can be taken by the federal government to bolster the economy and work with state and local law enforcement to help get a handle on crime. As President I would strive to spend more time in the heartland of America, rather than bunkered up in the White House until I'm forced to show my face like previous administrations. America needs a President that is willing to go outside and see the hardships that our own people are facing and lead from the front - that is what I would want to do.

MODERATOR: President Gore, same question to you.

GORE: Thank you, Jim. I have led our country for over three years. We have faced international crisis after international crisis, I have been on the ground in Detroit where I saw entire sections of a city in ruins and a corrupt local government. We have also faced troubles on our southern and northern borders, but we have gotten through it and come out as a stronger country. We have faced challenges abroad, and we won, repeatedly. The American people know who I am, and what I stand for. They know what kind of leader I am and that I will always fight for the good of the United States. During my time in office I have faced difficult challenges, but my top guiding principle has been this: how will this decision affect the United States and the American people? I consider, at the most basic level, what is right and what is wrong. While matters at home are very important, we have commitments to our friends and allies around the world, as they do to us. We can isolate ourselves from the rest of the world and only look inward, but eventually a snake will get into the henhouse. Internationally I consider how an issue will eventually evolve and affect America. Consider the war with Turkey. We could have sat back and let them murder their ethnic minorities and invade Cyprus and Israel. But then what? Would they have marched on Athens, and Eastern Europe? Would we allow a country to take over a dozen of their neighbors until we saw them as a threat? Our allies, the British, would not have stood for that, and I wouldn't either. My decisions are based on what is best for our country - sometimes that is a long-term decision, but those are the most important ones.

MODERATOR: Thank you, Mister President. Another question for both of you, starting with Speaker Bush: Should our country be developing alternative forms of energy production?

BUSH: Coal is what our country runs on, Jim. We've been using it since the industrial revolution. It is cheap, there is a lot of it available in the United States, and countless American jobs are created from extracting coal and transporting it to where it needs to be. We also already have the power stations and infrastructure to support it. Instead of putting a bunch of money into alternative fuels that are not even proven yet, I think that we should focus on upgrading our coal-fired power stations. We have the technology to install scrubbers and filters to the smokestacks on these powerplants that would make them clean and safe - we don't need to reinvent the wheel here, and we don't need to take jobs from Americans. We can have the best of both worlds. Are there alternative forms of energy that we should build as backup power, or in certain regions where it makes sense? Sure! Solar energy could show promise in the years to come, especially in states like Arizona and California. There is some promise for wind in Texas and states in the Great Plains, but these forms of power are never going to be feasible on a scale like coal or nuclear which are both proven, reliable, and capable of providing jobs to hundreds-of-thousands of Americans.

MODERATOR: Mister President, the same question to you.

GORE: The answer to your question is an emphatic 'Yes!' There is no one energy source that we can focus on. Instead, we need to diversify America's energy portfolio. Jim, two-billion megawatts of power are made by coal in the United States, the next largest is nuclear, at less than 750-million megawatts. That isn't acceptable, we're relying way too much on one source. Speaker Bush's campaign criticized me and said that I want to take energy-producing jobs away from Americans - he says that we have to stick to coal, and we can use so-called 'Clean Coal'... The people that are trying to convince you that 'clean coal' exists are the same ones that tried to tell us that there's such a thing as a healthy cigarette. But, what is out there is natural gas. Now this isn't a renewable resource, but it is much cleaner than burning coal, releases much less sulfur dioxide, is extremely cheap, and it can be found in large quantities here in the United States. We don't have to tear open the Earth and rip off the tops of mountains to get natural gas. Also, burning it releases less carbon dioxide than coal - transitioning to this kind of a fuel will help slow down the effects of global warming that we are feeling. We should also be focusing on renewables like wind, solar, hydroelectricity, and even geothermal where it makes sense. I also feel strongly that the federal government should offer grants to companies to develop affordable vehicles that don't run on gasoline.

MODERATOR:Thank you, Mister President. Now this question may hit a bit closer to home, considering recent events... How would you both bolster the national security of our country to prevent future terrorist attacks, or events like 2/04, from happening in our country again? Speaker Bush?

BUSH: Well, there are several ways that we can look at national security. I think that we should be more careful about who we let into our country, first of all. But we should also work on bolstering the FBI, the CIA, and other agencies like the NSA. Their job is to keep our country safe and to prevent attacks before they happen. We overlook the security responsibilities of these agencies because they are constantly preventing attacks from happening, these are events that we never learn about. The federal agents who risk their lives every day, for a government salary, have thankless careers. I think that we need more federal agents, the role of the Department of Homeland Security should be expanded, and we should put more of a focus on gathering intelligence in the emerging world of cyber space. [/B]

MODERATOR: Mister President?

GORE: I... Jim, there is no easy answer to this. I do not have a crystal ball - I cannot tell you exactly what would have prevented the 2/04 attack on the Capitol. I know that we probably would have stood a better chance if federal agencies worked closer together but... that does not get to the heart of the issue, it just doesn't...

MODERATOR: What is at the heart of the issue, Mister President?

5AaVeSH.jpg

GORE: The attack on the Capitol was orchestrated by some of the wealthiest men and women in our country, who run - or ran - the most powerful corporations in the world. We cannot allow large, corporate interests to outweigh our national interests. I am not anti-business. Millions of Americans operate small businesses - they are the backbone of our country. But when corporations are large enough to fund campaigns for candidates in elections, and they can sway the national narrative with ads or outright buying newspapers or news channels, then our free society is being killed from the inside. The attack on the Capitol happened not because someone wanted to become dictator for life of the United States, or because of communists, or because religion - it happened because a few dozen people thought that they could install a government that would let them get away with whatever they wanted, even if it meant destroying the environment, or ripping off the American people. I will protect the American people from monopolies, I will empower our federal agencies with better technology, and I will have the agencies within our government communicate and work together more closely.

MODERATOR: Speaker Bush, you represent a district in Texas and you have served in the Air National Guard - is our southern border secure, and if not, how can that be changed?

BUSH: Our southern border is not secure, Jim. Mexico is facing more and more violence and guerilla tactics from their drug cartels. They are bringing these drugs over the border into Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and California to poison our youth and extract money out of the United States. This is not something that we can fix with counselors and soft words - we have to be strong. In my first one-hundred days as President I would deploy the National Guard to the border and have the Coast Guard conduct 'round-the-clock patrols off the coast of Mexico to stop this drug trafficking, and human trafficking, in its tracks. I would also call a conference for governors with states that border Mexico, and we would come up with a plan to get these cartels and the drug trade under control. On the domestic front, I would support increasing the punishments for drug dealing. Dealing hard drugs should not just put someone on probation for a few months, or prison for a couple of years. Selling heroine to America's youth should cost someone, at least, a decade of their life - and that's being generous, considering that drugs can ruin an individual's life, or even end it. We should also crack down on softer drugs like marijuana - they are gateway drugs to things like heroine and cocaine. Our problems at the southern border effect the rest of the country.

MODERATOR: Mister President, what is your take on the situation?

GORE: We have talked about this before, and my position has not changed. There are problems at the southern border, yes, but it is not anything that Mexico cannot handle with our assistance. The federal government is working closely with the Texas and California state governments to keep our border secure, and to apprehend wrong-doers that enter our country. But if we want to stop the drug trade, we need to tackle the root of the problem, which is the demand for drugs. More Americans than ever are engaging in recreational drugs, and more Americans than ever are being killed from it. My administration is going to begin a national anti-drug campaign that will educated children and adults on the danger of using drugs... But that is not enough. People turn to drugs because of disparity. If we continue to lower unemployment and bolster American small businesses, then people can live fulfilling lives with their families. The Mexican government has closed the border in several places - this has helped at reducing violence from pouring over the border. My administration remains committed to doing whatever is necessary to stop this situation from getting worse.

MODERATOR: One more question for both of you and then you can make your closing statements. What can the federal government do to better protect the environment? Speaker Bush.

BUSH: My opponent and I have a difference of opinion on this matter, but I think we both agree that the environment is important. While he is an environmentalist, I would consider myself a conservationist. We can protect our environment, but we don't need to wall it off to human beings. Our national parks are the envy of the world, as are some of our forests, lakes, and the towering peaks of the Rocky Mountains. Once I am elected President, my administration will push congress to increase funding for our National Parks Service and the Department of The Interior, which is underfunded as it is. I would also put measures in place to encourage off-shore oil drilling so that we do not have to depend on land-based wells as much. With all of that being said, though, our nation comparatively cares more about the environment than most other developed, or especially more than any developing country, in the world. We are on the right track, we just need to keep at it.

GORE: I disagree.

MODERATOR: I am sure that you do, Mister President. What do you think?

GORE: I think that we need to do much more to protect the environment - not just to protect the Earth, but to protect the American people and all of the people of the world. We need clean air for our children to breathe and clean water to drink. The Mississippi river is the dirtiest it has been in American history - there is a dead zone off the coast of Louisiana, from agricultural runoff, that is the size of South Carolina. Fishermen are bringing in empty nets to their boats, and the fish and shrimp that they are able to catch are sometimes polluted with heavy metals from steal mills and oil refineries along the Mississippi. These industries can be cleaner, and still make large profits, but they would rather take every penny they can get unless we force them to do otherwise. If we transition to energy production focused on natural gas, nuclear, and renewable energies, we can clean America's air. If we protect and revitalize America's wetlands, we can help heal our oceans and clean our waters. If we encourage public transportation and walkable cities around America, we will have a cleaner environment and a more healthy population. Jim, I could talk about this for hours - the American people know where I stand on the environment. Scientists are telling us that global warming is a real issue that we should take seriously, along with pollution, and that there are dire consequences if we don't act. But the beautiful thing is that we have the power to turn things around, we are able to make our country cleaner and healthier without hurting the economy - we just need to have the right people in office to do it.

MODERATOR:Speaker Bush, what are you closing thoughts?

BUSH: Jim, thank you for hosting these debates, and thank you to the American people for listening in to make an informed decision. This is one of the most important elections that many Americans will face in their lifetime. I want to bolster our military so that we remain the only superpower in the world, and so that we can stay at peace and focus on issues at home. The defense of our country, from all threats foreign and domestic, is my top priority and I will not hesitate to make tough decisions that will keep the American people safe so that they can focus on their families instead of politics. If we bolster our economy with smart economic reforms, if we encourage domestic production, if we keep our streets safe, then we will have a stronger and better America. That is what I stand for, and I ask that you consider voting for me as your next President.

MODERATOR: President Gore?

GORE: My administration has brought down unemployment, kept our spending in check, and won a war without losing a single soldier. We have made diplomatic advances all over the world and we have built a bigger and stronger Navy. We are cleaning up corruption in our major cities and bringing down crime, and we will continue to do so. I want to take corporate money out of politics so that only the voice of the American people, not faceless corporations, are heard. My Administration will work to clean up our rivers, lakes, and oceans and protect our forests so that they can be enjoyed by generations to come. I want more Americans to get an education and I want to America become the dominant player in space again. We will work with our allies and the countries of the world, not against them, so that we can keep our country safe. If the American people elect me for a second term, I will dedicate the next four years to them and them alone.

MODERATOR: That concludes the 2000 presidential debates. Now, it is time for the American people to decide who will be the President of the United States for the next four years. I am Jim Lehrer from PBS, good night.

bush-v-gore.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ProbableBear