STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

United States | President Gore's State of The Union

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
united-states-capitol-dusk-front-copy-845x321.jpg

The 2/04 attack on the Capitol Building was considered to be the most audacious attack to have ever occurred on American soil. In an instant, all three branches of the federal government were nearly extinguished. Luckily, one United States Senator (Benjamin V. Sinclair (I) of Maine), one Supreme Court Justice (Clarence Thomas), the Secretary of State (who was the designated survivor), and Vice President Al Gore were not present at the Capitol Building that night. Al Gore was brought to Washington and sworn in as the 43rd President of the United States. Since February 4th, new elections and appointments were held for the House of Representatives and Senate respectively. Among the appointed senators include former Presidents George W. Bush, Jimmy Carter, and Gerald R. Ford. Senator Benjamin Sinclair, the only surviving member of the previous congress, was elected President Pro Tempore of the Senate, which was the second-highest officer in the Senate, only below the Vice President. However, the Supreme Court had yet to be restored, and the Vice Presidency was still vacant. The South Wing of the U.S. Capitol Building, which included the House Chamber, was almost entirely destroyed on 2/04, while the rest of the Capitol Building was largely spared of anything beyond some cosmetic damage. The new congress passed a bill to rebuild the South Wing, and repair the Rotunda of the Capitol Building. Now, in July, it has been restored, just as it was before. The brightest and most talented artisans, builders, craftsmen, architects, masons, and engineers from around the United States used American materials to restore the physical representation of the American Republic. To commemorate the restoration of the Capitol, President Gore informed the President Pro Tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House that he would be holding a State of The Union address on Friday, July 4.

Security at the State of The Union was higher than it had ever been before. The Secret Service used bomb-sniffing dogs around and inside the building, U.S. Capitol Police were heavily armed around the building, and an entire regiment of the D.C. National Guard was put on standby in the event of an emergency. All airspace over Washington D.C. was closed to non-military traffic for the duration of the event, and five F-16Cs (armed and fully fueled) were flying just out of the public eye (about 20,000 feet) over the Chesapeake Bay in the event that they were needed. Air Force One and the Nightwatch aircraft were also put on standby at Andrews Air Force base, which was under very tight security, along with the White House and the Pentagon. To put it simply, all security measures that could have been taken to prepare for that night were in place.

Hundreds-of-millions of Americans took a break from their July 4th celebrations to watch on television, the internet, or listen over the radio to the State of the Union. The Joint Session of Congress included all members of the Senate and House of Representatives, as well as Justice Clarence Thomas, the President's Cabinet, the newly-appointed Joint Chiefs of Staff, the First Lady, West Wing staff, and many distinguished guests. The entire nation was on the edge of their seats to hear the public address - they watched as officials were announced and brought into the House Chamber. Finally, it was time. The Sergeant at Arms of the House stood at attention and shouted to the front of the House, "Mister Speaker, the President of the United States!"

President Gore walked into the chamber, wearing a suit and tie, to the rumbling applause and cheer of all three branches of government and Americans. He slowly made his way down the aisle and shook hands with senators and congressmen (both Democrats and Republicans alike). The applause continued as he made his way up to the podium and handed a copy of his speech the the Speaker of the House and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, and then opened up his own copy. The Speaker of the House, George W. Bush of Texas, slammed his gavel several times in order to get the chamber under control. Everyone in the chamber sat down, and became quiet long enough for Speaker Bush to speak.

"Members of Congress, I have the high honor and distinct privilege of presenting to you, the President of the United States!" he said proudly. The chamber erupted into applause again as everyone stood and clapped for the President. This went on for nearly an entire minute. Finally, President Gore slightly raised his hand and said, "Thank you... Thank you..." Eventually, the cheering stopped.

TGunaTO.png

"Mister President Pro Tempore, Mister Speaker, members of the Senate, and the House of Representatives..." he said, and then paused. Al looked at the first seven words of his speech, which were typed in capital letters. There had been an incredible amount of debate in the West Wing with how the speech should start, but it was ultimately decided that President Gore should start where President Clinton left off.

"The State of our Union is strong!" Gore loudly and firmly said. There wasn't a person in the room who didn't stand and clap and cheer - it would be the loudest, longest, and most overwhelming applause given that night and of Al's entire life. Eventually, the cheers of the nation grew quiet, and the President continued.

"We are here today for many reasons. We are here to remember the fallen statesmen and Americans of February 4th, we are here to consecrate this Chamber in their honor, and we are here to celebrate our Independence Day.

"Since February, what remained of the federal government has taken significant steps to restore itself. As promised, the state legislatures made special appointments to fill the Senate. In an act of unity, three former Presidents are among them, and are with us today. Special elections were held for the House of Representatives - voter turnout was the highest it has ever been in the twentieth century. Today with us are also the Joint Chiefs of Staff, some of whom came out of retirement when they once again heard the call of duty. I have also managed to refill the cabinet, and together with the advice of the Senate, have restored the Executive Branch. You may also notice that I am joined by newly-elected Speaker Bush of Texas, and the President Pro Tempore, Senator Benjamin V. Sinclair. These leaders, and those of you on the House Floor, have stepped up when your country has needed you most - for that I, and the American people, are thankful. However, we still have much work to do.

"While our Capitol has been rebuilt, we still face many challenges - some political and some social. While there has been much debate on the matter, I do plan to appoint eight justices to the Supreme Court. I have laid out my plan on how we can fairly do this to the Senate, as well as to the American people. I am announcing now that on Monday I will be formally making eight appointments at the White House. I ask that the Senate immediately begin confirmation hearings. Also, before this year ends, I will also be appointing a new Vice President who I hope that the Senate will fairly consider for the office.

"As the federal government recovers, we cannot keep our eyes off of the American People who have stood united in support for our republic. Half a million young men and women have enlisted into the Army, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, and Marine Corps - to them, I pledge my support and thank them for joining the armed services when America needs them most. I have been made aware that charitable donations have significantly risen since February, as has church attendance, volunteering, and even the number of applicants for volunteer fire departments. It is clear to me that the American people are resolved in the strength of our Union. But, we cannot ignore the problems facing our country.

"Weeks ago, a fire destroyed two city blocks in Detroit - most of which were abandoned homes. I have been told that there are entire abandoned neighborhoods in Detroit, and that the city is crumbling. This is not unique to Detroit - crime is at an all-time high in New York City, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston even while unemployment is below two percent. This urban decay is due to old and out of date infrastructure that the government has failed to replace, it is due to a lack of manufacturing where great American industries once produced the best products of the world, it is due to underdevelopment - it is because we have been neglecting the American People. That is unacceptable.

"In the weeks to come, I will be visiting Detroit, New York, Los Angeles, and New Orleans in order to asses what else the federal government can do reverse this urban decay. I pledge that before 1998, we will have a national infrastructure bill passed through congress, and we will reverse this urban decay. We will lower crime, and we will raise prosperity. The American people have placed their trust in this new Congress to lead the country towards the twenty-first century - we cannot let them down.

"...In the meantime, I do have news to report about the 2/04 attack. The United States has apprehended a number of people believed to have been involved with the attack. Also, the State Department is working on extraditing a fugitive who has attempted to flee to the safety of another country. The United States will not rest until every person involved is found, and brought to justice. The FBI, U.S. Marshal's Service, and Department of Justice have made significant progress in finding those responsible. Soon, the federal government will be able to issue a full report on what happened on February 4th. Until then, I ask that the American people remain vigilant and continue to support law enforcement as we round up those responsible.

"Internationally, we have been working closely with our allies and friends around the world. The United States has been given support from nations in Europe, Africa, South America, Asia, and the Pacific. Next week, Prime Minister Andrew Evans of the United Kingdom will be visiting the White House for an Official Visit. The United States has no greater friend than Great Britain. This year, I plan to continue to have the federal government foster these relationships and more so that we can work alongside the rest of the Free World to make a better tomorrow.

"We can always improve... But, today is our Independence Day - I firmly believe that we should also remember the incredible progress that we have made. Great men and women have led our country forward to get closer to fulfilling what our Founding Fathers saw for America - a nation where all men are created equal. Where any person, regardless of background or religion, can move forward in society by merit, hard work and character; not family-connections or simply inherited prestige. Today I am looking at the most diverse Congress in American history, not just in ideas, but of racial backgrounds, gender, religion, and cultures. Today we celebrate one another - we celebrate that even though we may be different, we are all still Americans. So long as we keep our independent and united spirit, there is nothing in the world that can stop us.

"In all that lies before us, may God grant us wisdom, and may He watch over the United States of America. Thank you."

President Gore stepped down from the podium as the people in the chamber once again drowned out all other noise with applause. He shook hands with Senators and Congressmen, and was even approached by Justice Thomas. Eventually, the chamber emptied without incident, and Americas returned to celebrating the anniversary of the founding of their nation. The State of The Union was broadcast live around the world, and simulcast in over thirty different languages, including French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Mandarin, and Swahili to name a few. The faith of the nation had been restored, and now it was time to get back to work.

Last edited: