STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

United States | Vice President Sinclair

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
President Gore patted Senator Sinclair on the shoulder. He led him towards the exit of his private study that was in the Residence of the White House and stopped just short of the door.
"Are you sure you don't want to come to the Capitol Building, sir?" Sinclair asked as he briefly stopped walking and buttoned his jacket.

"I'm sure," Gore replied. "I'd need to be invited," he said. Indeed, Presidents had to be invited to address congress or even enter the House or Senate floor; this tradition goes back to Parliament. "Besides, today is your day - I'll be rooting for you. Give me a call once you're set up at the
Naval Observatory," he said as he opened the door to his study and let Sinclair out. The Senator put out his hand and shook the President's for the last time as a legislator. The head of Sinclair's Secret Service detail followed him down one of the hallways as the Senator began to make his way to his new motorcade.

"Beacon is on the move," said the agent as they approached the stairs.

us_capitol_architect_of_the_capitol_header.jpg

Sinclair's motorcade took him directly from the White House, down Pennsylvania Avenue, and to the Capitol Building. Waiting outside were cameras and newsmen from around the country. As his limousine came to a stop in front of the building, Sinclair noticed the increased levels of security around the Capitol. U.S. Capitol Police and Secret Service seemed to be everywhere. While the nation was still recovering from the attack on the Capitol, Sinclair hoped that soon they would eventually be able to return to some kind of normal. Though, even someone as hopeful as Sinclair was, he knew that as new threats arose, security would have to either become more intense or more smart. He was flanked by a couple of agents as he stepped out of his limousine, cane-in-hand, and walked to one of the entrances of America's temple of democracy. The Senator was known for not passing up a good opportunity to be noticed, and this was no exception. He took the most public thoroughfares through the Capitol to get to the Senate chamber. He greeted congressmen, staffers, and visitors along the way. He even stopped when a woman said she was from Maine and that she had voted for him. They took a picture together and she wished him luck before he continued his journey to the republic's higher chamber.

Inside the Senate Chamber, ninety-nine senators were murmuring amongst each other. C-SPAN provided a raw feed to the Senate as national and local news stations around the country began to tune in and carry the broadcast. President Gore comfortably watched from the confines of his private study in the Residence as millions of Americans tuned in. After a few more minutes, the doors to the gallaries - which were packed with visitors - were closed. The Senator who was the temporary president pro tempore (temporary presiding officer) was given a nod from the Senate's Sergeant at Arms and Doorkeeper of the Senate. The acting president pro tempore smacked the gavel a couple of times to gain order. He didn't need to say anything aloud, because a few moments after he did so the chamber doors opened. Senators quickly rushed to their seats as Senator Sinclair walked in and slowly made his way down the aisle to the front of the room. A few of his colleagues briefly stopped him to shake his hand. He handed over his black cane to a staffer and walked over to his desk one last time. There were two documents: one was his resignation letter as President Pro Tempore of the Senate, and the other was his resignation letter as a United States Senator. He removed a fountain pen from one of the inner pockets of the jacket of his three-piece black suit and signed both documents swiftly and neatly. He took the papers and handed them to the clerk who briefly examined them, and handed them to the temporary president pro tempore. Then, Mister Sinclair took his place in the center of the chamber.

1200px-Senate_in_session.jpg

Chief Justice Clarence Thomas then entered the chamber. He was wearing his judicial black robe and was carrying a small Catholic Bible. He took his place next to Sinclair and looked out to the the legislators. One of the senators stood up from her desk and walked over to the two men. She was Olympia Snowe, the other Senator from Maine who was a very close friend of Sinclair. While she had narrowly missed the opportunity to be elected to represent Maine in 1995, the State government quickly acted to appoint her as the other Senator from Maine after the attack on the Capitol - the two got along famously. Sinclair had asked her a week ago to be the one to hold the bible as he was sworn in and she instantly agreed. She stood behind and between Sinclair and Thomas, and held the bible as Chief Justice Thomas began to speak.

"Mister Sinclair, please raise your right hand to God, and repeat after me," the Justice said.

"I Benjamin Valentine Sinclair do solemnly swear,

I Benjamin Valentine Sinclair do solemnly swear,
That I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States,
That I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States,
Against all enemies, foreign and domestic,
Against all enemies, foreign and domestic,
That I will bare true faith and allegiance to the same,
That I will bare true faith and allegiance to the same,
That I take this obligation freely,
That I take this obligation freely,
Without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion,
Without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion,
And that I will well and faithfully discharge,
And that I will well and faithfully discharge,
The duties of the office on which I am about to enter,
The duties of the office on which I am about to enter,
So help me God,
So help me God."

The senators erupted into roaring applause, as did the galleries above. Sinclair could barely hear as Chief Justice Thomas firmly shook his hand and leaned in to say, "Congratulations, Mister Vice President." Sinclair felt goosebumps spring up across his arms and back as, for the first time in a long time, he was made speechless. Sinclair had been in the Senate for decades, he had dedicated most of his adult life to this institution that he held so close to his heart, and now as Vice President, he was the President (presiding officer) of it. While it wouldn't be something that he'd gloat about, his place in history was unique. He was the first Roman Catholic, the first Independent, and only the second Mainer to be Vice President. His emotions were throbbing inside of his otherwise stoic shell as he felt both overwhelming pride and humility at the same time. He eventually thanked the Chief Justice, who went take a seat, and stood before his colleagues for a few moments before he turned around and walked up the steps to where the temporary president pro tempore was sitting. The senator stood up, handed Vice President Sinclair the gavel, and went take his seat amongst his colleagues. Sinclair looked down at the President's chair for a few moments in silent contemplation and then sat. The Senators erupted into even more applause and cheers.

The Vice President hit the gavel in the desk before him a few times. The chamber quickly quieted down. He cleared his throat and spoke into the microphone before him, "Are there any motions on the floor?" he asked. He was expecting the special session for that day to be closed, and everyone would go home. Instead his friend, Senator Snowe, stood up.
"The Chair recognizes the Senator from Maine," Sinclair said.
"Mister President, I make a motion that we suspend the standing rules of the Senate and allow the President to address the chamber," she said with the biggest, warmest smile on her face. Vice Presidents were normally forbidden from addressing the chamber unless it was to recognize another senator to speak or other small procedural matters.

Sinclair, in genuine surprise, asked if there was a second. There was, and the senate overwhelmingly voted via a
voice vote in favor of the motion. Sinclair, who had no speech prepared other than a short remark he was going to make on the steps of the Capitol, sat still for a few moments and then adjusted the microphone. He looked out to see over ninety faces of men and women who had only been senators for a short period of time. As the only surviving member of the 104th Congress, Sinclair was invaluable in giving advice to the Senators not just in procedural matters, but also in politics, and even personal affairs. While he was originally just a small-time senator from one of the cranky New England-states, he was now respected as a father-like figure to the Senators. That, along with his lack of party allegiance, was probably why his confirmation vote for the Vice Presidency was unanimous.

"Honorable senators, distinguished guests, my fellow Americans, I can say with absolute confidence that this is the greatest honor I have ever received in my life. I think that it would be appropriate to first thank President Gore for nominating me to the office of Vice President. I also would be remised if I didn't thank all of you who have confirmed me - the trust that this chamber has placed in me is overwhelming. As someone who has dedicated most of his adult life to serving in the Senate, I can tell you that sitting here as President is just as sobering as it is intoxicating. I never thought that I would be here - I never could have foreseen what has happened this past year. It's felt like everything predictable was thrown out of the window and we had to start over from scratch. That can literally be said for this Senate. I lost all of my colleagues and many of my closest friends. They were dedicated leaders and statesmen from around the nation; they were some of the brightest minds to have ever graced these halls. I can only imagine how proud they would be to know that their places have been taken by the likes of you. Most of you are the best that your respective state senates had to offer, some of you are from other high offices or even former presidents, and a small number of you are individuals who have never held public office but were chosen to represent your states because your community considered you such learned and respected men or women. I am honored to have the privilege of presiding over such a group of statesmen. Perhaps not since the beginning of our republic have we had such potential in the Senate.

"While I have spoken with some of you privately on this matter, I feel that it is critical that I bring it up again. In the past two decades our country and its politics have become more divided. It's become common-place for senators and congressmen to vote according to the edicts of their party instead of what is right for their state, or their district. I realize that I, an independent, may have an easier time saying this, but it's true. Hyper-partisanship in our congress is an infection that we need to treat, more especially here in the Senate. We are the higher chamber, we are suppose to be the learned men and women, the statesmen of the nation, who aren't easily swayed by the daily mood swings of the country or even our own states. It is our duty to take a sober approach to legislating, to seriously consider nominations from the President, and to advise on formal matters of foreign affairs - that is what we signed up for. While I may be the last of the 104th congress, I still hold their hopes in my heart. I plead with you to reignite the flames of statecraft and finesse that once graced these hollowed halls. Regardless of what the House does, or who is President, or who is Vice President, it is our duty to uphold the dignity of the republic.

"I can't pretend that we didn't have problems in the past. But we have always strived to be better. I ask you all to strive to be better men and women, to be better leaders, and to be better senators. I ask that you consider restoring some of our old orders and preserving the ones that we have now. Most importantly, I ask that when you change things in this institution of ours, you consider whether or not it is best for the Senate and the republic at large... As we move forward, I swear to do everything I can to better the cause of this chamber and to help you all to work together and legislate. Thank you, God bless the Senate, and God bless the United States of America."

The silence of the Senate was then once again interrupted by thunderous applause and cheering. Vice President Sinclair watched as former the Republican Majority Leader of the Senate, former President George H. W. Bush, stood up. Sinclair recognized him. Senator Bush read from a piece of paper that must have been prepared beforehand. He motioned that the Senate's standing rules in regard to the President of the Senate, which dated back to around two-hundred years, be permanently amended so that he could retake duties that formerly belonged to the office including: appointing senators to standing committees, regulating access to the galleries, supervising the keeping of the Senate Journal, and being able to speak on beyond strictly procedural matters. In an equally surprising move, the Democratic Minority Leader, former President Jimmy Carter, was the one to second the motion. The motion passed unanimously, just liked the Vice President's confirmation.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bruhlord89