STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: February

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 31/03/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[VT]: Meeting With South Korea

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"We on principle would disagree with the signing of agreement because it would be an acknowledgement that there is a superior stature to the international norms. Of course we recognize the nuances of this. We do not mean to imply UNCLOS is the only relevant law. However, this is a principle that we hold close. A legal battle is in no ones interest, and finding a consensus is always Korea's go to in dealing with these situation. However, we will pursue legal means against specific actors if it challenges our interests.

As for the Y2K Bug, to be honest, I have only heard the news rumors. I will however relate this issue to our tech teams to look into the Y2K Bug and see if preventive measures are needed. Thank you for raising this with me. If we find preventive measures we will be sure to share them with other ASEAN members as soon as possible."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"Would Egypt be a specific actor? The Suez canal is very important to our success in trade. We will obviously go with the rule of law, but we do not want to endanger our chances so early. I believe that perspective ASEAN members should come to a consensus on the matter. I am sure rule of law will win out. I am only hopeful the possible conflict to come does not hurt our chances."

"I believe that Y2K preparedness should be one of the first issues we tackle together. As I have seen no nations attempting to prevent the bug, if we were to do so we would set off to a good start in the new millennium. A good start to ensuring the Asian century."

"On another note there are multiple conflicts brewing. Sweden is attempting to decide and conquer. Bad mouthing to USA and Korea. However, we have our own independent stance on South Africa so theybhave ceased attempts. Regardless, this shows they feel threatened by a resurgent ASEAN which could threaten the international power of their own Nordic council. An attempt by the west to halt the Asian Century. While we are disappointed that you left us out when crafting that resolution with the USA, and that we are disappointed in Thailand taking a side with Sweden so easily, we are willing to forgive these matters should you involve us from here out."

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"If Egypt were to close its waters to Korea, on a unilateral action, or impede Korea's right of innocent passage, it would be one of those actors. While we have tended to act on behest of our partners occasionally, we would also be willing to do so for our allies such as Vietnam or the United States should they find their rights violated. You are right that the Suez Canal is an important point of trade and ASEAN as an economic bloc will need to have positive relations. However, the best way to maintain our economic independence is to maintain UNCLOS as a relevant maritime agreement to ensure that arbitrary political or trade disagreements do not allow a single actor to target other entities and nations.

While this does not mean that maritime hubs such as Indonesia, a hopefully potential ASEAN+ member, are unable to benefit from its rich maritime transit points, the right for innocent passage comes with a social and ecological responsibility. On which, all maritime and aquatic trade powers must respect and cooperate with. While transit points can charge fees for specific goods, as provisioned by UNCLOS, this does not mean that arbitrarily they can close waters to a single entity at their description. This has been our basic position as relayed to various actors when we have entered into disagreement over their actions.

I also agree that the Y2K Bug can be an area where ASEAN shows our collective minds are stronger than individually handling it. Our Ministry can work up to set an office in Hanoi and we can invite the Thai Government to participate under ASEAN to find a solution. I must say, I have not been kept in on the loop about political affairs." The political affairs officer next to the Minister would of course hand her a document which she read quickly taking a glimpse at key points. "I must say I am disappointed to hear that they have been saying such things about Korea. I have always thought highly of Sweden. Regardless, I have no intention of bad mouthing Sweden." A note which the political affairs officer would relay back to Seoul regarding this information. "I was not aware of this resolution being crafted, however, please know I will share your disappointments with the Foreign Ministry. I will ensure that they are made aware your displeasure and desire to be involved in the situation."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"I see, you make a fair point and I believe that we are willing to follow on this notion. While Egypt will be disappointed by the decision I do believe that this is the best pat forward. Should they deny us use of the canal we have multiple means of remedy. Legal or otherwise. Though, I do believe the GA is at risk of being stalemated for various reasons. There is a lack of respect for the institution among the possible allies of Egypt."

"Does Korea create many computer parts? I believe that if it does then such an office should be in Korea instead. It would be odd to set up the office in one of the countries least affected. We will however need to make sure that our internet access systems are not affected. If so, we will need to upgrade the upgrade infrastructure."

"You may have no intention of bad mouthing Sweden but they have every intention of badmouthing Korea. Trying to warn us that Korea during it's time in the Nordic Council has undermined the organization. I believe all of this to be an effort to sabotage any cohesion that ASEAN would have. They have smelt blood in the water and are trying to ensure there are no rivals to their organization by ensuring another does not form."

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"I am thankful for your understanding in our position. You are right, that the Global Assembly has become greatly questioned in Seoul over its willingness to turn a blind eye to the various actions of Western nations but condemning and critiquing those outside of the perceived community of the 'West'. While, I hope that the basic principles of equality before the law will hold true. Yet, the Assembly is the best we make of it. Korea will continue to work to strengthen the institutions of the Assembly, however, we are hopeful a counter-weight like ASEAN can address regional disputes and issues more efficiently and responsibly.

One of our many exports is electronics as you duly noted. We would be happy to host an ASEAN office for addressing this situation. Once our brightest mind find a solution, ASEAN will be provide its expertise to various international actors and showcase its collective spirit and capabilities.

As for the issue of Sweden, it is most unfortunate to hear this. Our Government made clear to the Swedish Government of our basic principle of engagement with the Council. Our priorities she read off a paper in the Nordic Council are to develop strong multi-lateral ties, to promote Korea’s foreign and security policy, develop inter-continental relationships, and advance our diplomatic and security assets to ensure a stable global community. Whilst we discussed many positive ideas during their initial 'outreach to Asia' such as a Korea-Nordic Visa Agreement, Korea-Nordic Council Trade Agreement, etc...many of those proposals fell through the crack without positive responses from Stockholm. Yet, never would we consider Sweden as a bad actor in this relationship.

To what they have suspected or decided we have done to undermine the Council is beyond my knowledge. Our Ambassador to Sweden has participated in multiple meetings and shared information with the organization on multiple occasions. President Kim has sought to expand Council-Korean relations before the Secretary General shut the door on a proposed intergorvernment forum. It is most unfortunate this is what they have said about us. However, as you said, let us not dwell and allow their foul words to spoil our conversations. Far more importantly, we are seeing positive progress in the Asian Century and that we can only achieve together and united."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"indeed, we have noticed the willingness of things to be overlooked should it be a western nations doing the wrong. Things shall be different once the Asian century takes hold. We will not be favored in the international scene, to not be punished, but rather we will show that the only way is for a fair approach. In which every nation is held accountable. I believe that opposing Sweden in it's colonial efforts is a good first step in showing this new way."

"It has been estimated by experts in other countries, such as the USA that the cost to fix the Y2k Bug would be 100 billion over a 5 year period. We have less then a year. This cost was calculated for the United States, a nation that is heavily invested into computerized industry. This matter if not dealt with can hamper our attempts to secure the Asian century. I suggest we set up a fund immediately and put nations into order of which need the money the most. Vietnam is towards the bottom of the list obviously due to us not relying on computers so heavily."

"Indeed, letting their fowl words poison the well would be a mistake. It is important that we seek to deny those that would try and deny the Asian century. We must show them through action that these tactics will not work, and show them through action the rewards the the Asian century. The United States has in good faith stepped forward to us, and thus we will show what is capable of being accomplished when a nation works with us instead of against us."

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"Once our experts figure out possible solutions we can see the overall costs. The primary focus is ensuring we advert any issues. But, I am not an engineering or information systems expert unfortunately. Our relevant ministries can provide more accurate information, and showcase what collective efforts by Asian countries can produce.

However, I hope that I can raise the following request. Our Government wishes to import two shipments on a weekly basis of petroleum. We have the vessels ready and can submit a the information to the relevant international trade authorities as soon as possible. This would overall expand our trade volume in positive manners for your Government."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"Indeed, this is a job best left to the experts. We should set up a joint commission featuring members of these ministries in order to figure out how best to deal with the problem. From what I have heard we in Vietnam can afford to reset the date to previous years l, but we are not as integrated as say your nation. Plus. As a solution it will not work forever as we aim to become more integrated with the world."

"But yes, I can approve that trade. We also have the ships to export it, so no need for you take upon the burden for that."

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"We would appreciate the approved extra trade routes. They would be most appreciated and hopefully of significance to boost your own local economy. I will speak with our respective ministries to set up the necessary steps to address the Y2K bug. We are hopeful a quick solution and efficient one can be found."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"I will have the ammendment made to the current ongoing vote, it will pass without issue it looks. So you can count on those shipments. Our economy is recovering from the spending that we did for development initially, however many nations have defaulted on those plans. We are now seeking support from other nations that we believe are more reliable. Would Korea be interested in finding contractors/companies that are interested in such projects?"

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"I can not state with any certainty that the KOICA will fair any better than the previous partners who defaulted on their projects. It is most unfortunate to have heard that well respected countries and companies such as ADCA and others have been forced to shut down. I am sure that the KOICA is still interested in developmental projects, but, the winds of fortune are often unpredictable to what transpires in the future. Regardless, if you have the progress and portfolios of previous projects, we can pick up where they left off."

HeadlessSeeker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darren