STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

LACK OF INTEREST AI Ethics Proposal

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021
Circle-Logo.png
Roleplay Think Tank​

Proposal for an Establishment of AI Ethics

Alright, primarily, we currently don’t have any rule or ethical guideline on how our geopolitics roleplay community deals with AI-generated contents. I am fully aware of individuals within this community's views on AI and I will not comment on it as we all have opinions, and I won't directly call out who has been using AI. Heck, even I have used AI, and I am not proud of that.

To some people, the use of AI-generated content is considered a breach of trust, respect, and responsibility, particularly within the typical writing community. As an author myself, I am fully aware of any movement caused by the tech companies leading in their AI development, as we are sure that they use the pirate database of our collective works to train AI. With the Writer Guild of America strike recently ended, I can't believe we have just saved a profession, reading the agreement they have agreed, I can't neglect the use of AI-generated content within our community without any proper guidance. So here I am, proposing the rigorous AI ethical guideline. Now I am become Lawyer, Destroyer of Unregulated AI.

AI Ethics Guideline for Modernations Roleplay Community

Preamble

This set of guidelines seeks to manage the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in generating content within our community. The objective is to maintain integrity, transparency, and user engagement while acknowledging the benefits of AI-enabled tools.

I. General Principles

1. Transparency: All AI-generated content must be explicitly stated as such.
2. Accountability: Users employing AI are wholly accountable for the content created and must ensure its compliance with community norms.
3. Respect for Community Voices: The use of AI must never overshadow, replace, or diminish contributions originating from human participants.

II. Guidelines Per Thread

A. Global Assembly

1. Human Contributions in Discussions and Voting: In matters of key discussions and voting procedures, human-generated contributions shall be the default and primary source. This is to ensure the authenticity and genuine representation of ideas in shaping the community's decisions.
Exception: AI may be deployed in polls or surveys that are exploratory or non-binding in nature, as long as this is clearly stated.​
2. Use of AI for Administrative Tasks: AI can be employed for generating procedural or administrative content such as draft proposals or meeting minutes. However, it's mandatory to explicitly tag or annotate this AI-generated content.
Review Mechanism: Any AI-drafted proposal must be ratified by human participants before formal submission.​

B. Worldwide Journalism

1. AI for News Reporting: AI can be utilized for generating news reports, but such reports must be factually verified by human users before publication. This ensures the accuracy and credibility of the information disseminated.
Transparency Requirement:
Articles created by AI must have a clear disclosure statement, such as an editor's note, which informs the readership of the AI's role.
2. AI-Generated Opinion Pieces: Opinion pieces crafted by AI are permissible but must be explicitly identified as AI-generated and cannot be presented as if they represent the views of an actual community member.
Labeling:
These pieces should be categorically marked as 'AI-Generated Opinion' to avoid confusion.

C. Military and Intelligence

1. AI-Generated Strategies and Intelligence Reports: AI can assist in generating military strategies or intelligence summaries, but such outputs must be rigorously reviewed by human users to ensure both ethical propriety and logical consistency.
Ethical Vetting: AI-generated strategies must not propose actions that are unethical or in violation of international laws and norms.
Logical Consistency: Human users must ensure that AI-generated intelligence or strategies align logically with real-world scenarios and the community's prevailing conditions.
Tagging Requirement: It's obligatory to tag or annotate all AI-generated military and intelligence content to indicate its origin. All AI-generated content should be clearly tagged.​

D. Diplomatic Proceedings

1. AI for Supplemental Information: AI-generated background information, historical contexts, or talking points are permissible but should not replace genuine human interaction in diplomatic discussions.
Exclusion Zones:AI shall not be used to simulate diplomatic dialogues, negotiations, or communications between countries, as these areas require nuanced human judgment.
Transparency: Any AI-generated content used must be clearly marked to ensure all parties are aware of its origin.​
2. Review of AI-Generated Treaties or Agreements: Treaties, accords, or agreements produced by AI tools must be thoroughly reviewed and ratified by human participants before gaining official status.
Review Criteria: This review should assess the ethical, legal, and practical implications of AI-generated content.​

E. Domestic Affairs

1. AI for Policies and Announcements: AI can produce drafts for policies or domestic affairs announcements, but these drafts must undergo human review to ensure they meet ethical standards.
Ethical Vetting: Each draft should be scrutinized for its alignment with the community's values, legal frameworks, and ethical considerations.
Transparency: AI-drafted policies or announcements should be clearly labeled as 'AI-Generated' to maintain transparency.​
2. AI-Drafted Legislation: Legislation produced by AI is acceptable but must be explicitly tagged as AI-generated.
Review Mechanism: A comprehensive review by human participants is required before any AI-drafted legislation can be enacted or adopted.​

III. Miscellaneous

1. AI-Generated Background Narratives: Any AI-generated background information related to countries, governments, or militaries must adhere to the community’s established guidelines, values, and norms.
Compliance Checks: Users employing AI for this purpose should perform a compliance check to ensure alignment with the community's standards.
Tagging Requirement: All such AI-generated narratives must be clearly marked as 'AI-Generated' to maintain transparency and inform community members.​
2. Impersonation and Deception: AI must not be used to impersonate other community members or to engage in deceptive tactics, such as disinformation or manipulation.
Zero-Tolerance Policy: Any instances of impersonation or deception using AI will result in immediate action and could lead to a ban.​
3. Respect for Individual Choices: Community members who prefer not to engage with AI-generated content should have their preferences respected.
Opt-Out Mechanisms: If feasible, implement mechanisms that allow members to opt-out from interacting with AI-generated content.​

IV. Violations and Enforcement

1. Initial Violation: The first infringement of these guidelines will result in a formal warning issued to the member.
Warning Format: The warning may be issued via the platform’s direct messaging system, or any other official channel used by the community.​
2. Repeated Violations: Successive breaches of the guidelines may escalate to either a temporary or permanent ban, as deemed appropriate by the moderation team.
Severity Assessment: The length and nature of the ban will be determined based on the severity and frequency of the infractions.​
3. Reporting Mechanism: Members who observe violations are strongly encouraged to report these incidents to the moderation team.
Prompt Action: Upon receiving a report, the moderation team is obligated to take prompt action in line with the guidelines and may involve consulting with involved parties for a resolution.​

Alright, that is it. I would be delighted if you shared your opinions with the recommended ethical guidelines. Your opinion is not just a matter of neuroscience product, it is highly valued and heard. Whether you are the one using AI, the one who hates AI, or the one who don’t care about it as long as you can roleplay, I am eager to hear all your opinions on this. Any input will be beneficial to our community. Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote -1

Zak

Kingdom of Spain
GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
I don’t think AI should be used at all, it is lazy. We are on a writing forum so you should write your posts and not get a bit to write them for you.

I know the likes of Alex and Odinson to name a few take hours if not days to perfect a perfect response or roleplay opener and then someone responds in five minutes with an AI-generated response, it’s actually quite disrespectful to the community for the hard work certain players put hard work into their posts.

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021
Hey Zak,

Firstly, thank you for putting in your input on this discussion. I am deeply grateful for your participation in sharing your valuable opinion.

I agree with you and completely understand your opinion on the fact that our community is a "geopolitics roleplay writing" and it is something that is certainly evident. I have no doubt that an individual like Alex and Odin has put their soul into writing a roleplay post, which is something I truly admire and respect.

The recurring theme that peoples employing AI will respond to the soul-laboring written post is indeed jarring. I can sympathize with them and your viewpoint. MN has been running for almost 12 years, before the “generative AI” will become a thing that is so widely used and threatens many professionals in our industry. It is truly a matter of concern for us.

While I have no right to change your opinion on this matter, I value your input, your thought, and your integrity. The world is changing and there are no other ways to escape from our ever-increasing reliance on technology such as ChatGPT. There will always be someone who tries to dissuade us, like what has been happening since earlier this year, and this is something that reminds us of a need to establish an ethical guideline. Considering the recent WGA strike that lasted 148 days. If there was no brave individual who stood up and initiated discussion, there wouldn’t be anyone daring to follow them to honor our passion for writing. It would be a great honor to have you support this guideline even though it is against your opinion. We, together, as a community, have a better chance when we are together.

Best
Bossza007

Last edited:

Alex

Kingdom of Greece
Apr 16, 2019
Hey Bossza007,

Having ChatGPT generate a message to defend your proposal really doesn't help your case and will very likely make people be against it even more.

I'm going to have to stand with Zak on here and remain against ChatGPT/AI-generated content. The only way I'd be for it would be to help generate treaties and similar documents.

Vladilena Milizé

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2023
I really don't think we need a complex ruleset for this. I will freely admit I have used AI for things like laws and such, and quite frankly would have probably never written them without it. So in that sense AI added something that simply wouldn't have existed otherwise. The moment it becomes actual story I agree with not allowing its use. So really all of this can be summarized into two rules.

1. You cannot use AI for story-posts or interactions with other players.
  2. You can use AI for policies, laws, treaties, and anything that supports roleplay but isn't part of it.

Vaka

The Kingdom of Norway
GA Member
Sep 26, 2020
I think I might be completely on the opposite side of this coin in saying that I have absolutely no problem with people using AI. I have personally found that using AI in many of my posts has led me to play and develop stories I would have never dreamed of previously. I don't particularly care who wrote the story as long as it's interesting. I would also note that we all play this game for fun and it feels wrong to somehow tell someone how to enjoy playing this game of ours properly. I have been trying to come back to the game recently but with an extremely busy work and personal life, the use of AI would let me continue to post without having to leave the game entirely due to not being able to accumulate the amount of posts needed to generate tax revenue. The posts wouldn't be completely AI-generated obviously, but they would be heavily assisted by it.

I freely accept that I am in the minority here, but if each post is going to be check by AI filters and each post must be 100% generated by a human being, I think I might have to see myself out.

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021
Alex, thank you so much for giving me the benefit of doubt, I appreciate it. I will be wary of the sentence structuring and word choices, just to ensure that you are comfortable. Another thank to Zak for saying I am a "very distinguished role player" in the discord.

Hey Vladilena Milizé and Vaka

I want to make it clear first that my stance is against AI, and I believe we have a common ground on the fact that we see AI as beneficial to some aspects of the roleplaying process.

For Vladilena Milizé, I understand that your regulation posts are in the high-quality scope, and I highly appreciate your effort in putting it into the roleplay aspect even though AI generated it. I --sympathize-- understand with your --sentiment-- opinion that you don't support the use of AI on story post and interaction with others, it is something that we all respect it. As you are aware, Jamie and I have been using AI for generating contracts and treaties, which have resulted in a much faster process. While I used to write an entire treaty for Jamie as seen in the Thai-British Student Exchange Program (And that's why you should vote for Labor Party lmao.), I find this process to be painstaking, and it is something I don't look into it. For the ruleset, I agree that keeping things simple can be very accessible and not jarring compared to the complex ruleset I've proposed. But I want to share my opinion that while I agree with you, world is changing, and we can't turn a blind eye against the technological development. With that in mind, I think the proposed is something that resonate with you too and if there is anything of your concern, I am willing to openly discuss it. I can ensure you with dignity of my writing career and I believe such sentiment from mine is something that should be expected from an individual like me.

For Vaka, I understand that the situation can be quiet jarring, right, given that most people who have been here for a long time have already established a traditional view on writing to not include AI in their process. As an author myself, it might come out of place to be proposing an ethical guideline which risk the chance of being interpreted as support AI. yet I want to make it clear that all these efforts are a resulted of my ever-going support for fellow author from AI and get the inspiration from the recently ended WGA strike. Thank to Alex for putting a message on the discord chat that he wouldn't reply to an AI-generated text, which has led me to write this Roleplay Think Tank. While I can't change the fact that you might be the minority here, but I can ensure that your view or opinion won't be marginalized like how the mainstream media has done to them, and I believe such an ethical guideline will still allow you a room to breathe from the chaotic, unpredictable world.

Edit: Typo Chance to Change

Last edited:

Vladilena Milizé

Apprentice
Sep 11, 2023
Alex, thank you so much for giving me the benefit of doubt, I appreciate it. I will be wary of the sentence structuring and word choices, just to ensure that you are comfortable. Another thank to Zak for saying I am a "very distinguished role player" in the discord.

Hey Vladilena Milizé and Vaka

I want to make it clear first that my stance is against AI, and I believe we have a common ground on the fact that we see AI as beneficial to some aspects of the roleplaying process.

For Vladilena Milizé, I understand that your regulation posts are in the high-quality scope, and I highly appreciate your effort in putting it into the roleplay aspect even though AI generated it. I --sympathize-- understand with your --sentiment-- opinion that you don't support the use of AI on story post and interaction with others, it is something that we all respect it. As you are aware, Jamie and I have been using AI for generating contracts and treaties, which have resulted in a much faster process. While I used to write an entire treaty for Jamie as seen in the Thai-British Student Exchange Program (And that's why you should vote for Labor Party lmao.), I find this process to be painstaking, and it is something I don't look into it. For the ruleset, I agree that keeping things simple can be very accessible and not jarring compared to the complex ruleset I've proposed. But I want to share my opinion that while I agree with you, world is changing, and we can't turn a blind eye against the technological development. With that in mind, I think the proposed is something that resonate with you too and if there is anything of your concern, I am willing to openly discuss it. I can ensure you with dignity of my writing career and I believe such sentiment from mine is something that should be expected from an individual like me.

For Vaka, I understand that the situation can be quiet jarring, right, given that most people who have been here for a long time have already established a traditional view on writing to not include AI in their process. As an author myself, it might come out of place to be proposing an ethical guideline which risk the chance of being interpreted as support AI. yet I want to make it clear that all these efforts are a resulted of my ever-going support for fellow author from AI and get the inspiration from the recently ended WGA strike. Thank to Alex for putting a message on the discord chat that he wouldn't reply to an AI-generated text, which has led me to write this Roleplay Think Tank. While I can't change the fact that you might be the minority here, but I can ensure that your view or opinion won't be marginalized like how the mainstream media has done to them, and I believe such an ethical guideline will still allow you a room to breathe from the chaotic, unpredictable world.

Edit: Typo Chance to Change
I'm sorry Bossza but based on this I'm not really sure whether you're for or against my simpler rules.

Bruno

GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
I believe that AI can help make RP better, by helping non native English speakers write better answers, or menial things like Treaties etc, alongside helping people with Jobs and Lifes rping faster and have better time management. Instead of just leaving MN when its something they like, just because they have no time to write a answer or make RP.
It doesn't take out the spirit of RPing, but aids it. Unless people are fine with other players leaving cause they have no time for MN.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaiser Willheim II