STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: February

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 31/03/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[Australia]: Australian Antarctic Expedition 1996-97

Owen

Commonwealth of Australia
GA Member
Jul 2, 2018

AUSTRALIAN ANTARCTIC EXPEDITION 1996-97

Objective:

Re-establish Australia's scientific presence in Antarctica

Date:

1 September 1996 - 12 November 1996

Antarctica, Macquarie Island (Tasmania)

Concluded. No Australian presence was re-established in Antarctica.

ASSETS
Agency:Assets:

Australian Antarctic Division

• 440x Scientists
  • RSV Aurora Australis
  • 3x Eurocopter AS350 Squirrels
  • 2x Basler BT-67s
  • 2x de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otters
  • 8x LARC-Vs
  • 15x Rigid-Hull Inflatable Boats
  • 30x Arctic Cat Bearcat Snowmobiles
  • 20x Honda TRX300 Quadbikes
  • 10x Nodwell 110 Tracked Vehicles
  • 15x Bandvagn 206 Tracked Vehicles

Last edited:

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
Ros Kelly, the Minister for the Environment, Sport and Territories would take the podium infront of 500 or so scientists and personnel from the Australian Antarctic Division, an agency under the Department of the Environment, Sport and Territories.

"Ladies and Gentlemen,

Today is a momentous occassion. For nearly 80 years since Sir Douglas Mawson step foot on Antarctica in Commonwealth Bay, an Australian presence on the continent will return. Our scientific mission is clear, we want to learn more about this largely untouched continent and to provide invaluable scientific research to the broader world. Australia is in a fantastic place to do this, our proximity to Antarctica and our excellent scientific community puts us at the forefront. This government has invested millions of dollars into building up the capabilities of the Australian Antarctic Division to do that job. Today, as the weather starts to get warmer and we enter into summer, I can announce we will begin our expedition. The RSV Aurora Australis will depart Hobart bound for Antarctica and will work at establishing a permanent base, named Casey Station in Wilkes Land. We will also work to establish other bases, Mawson and Davis. Currently, the Macquarie Island Base is operating and there are 40 or so men and women down there doing invaluable work in the subantarctic islands. I hope you all brace yourselves for the weather and we wish you all the best in your endeavours. And to the world I say, Antarctic research is back!"

She would exit the podium and shake the hands of the AAD scientists who are about to depart. At Princes Wharf No. 1 in Hobart the RSV Aurora Australis would be packed up and ready. Onboard would be 116 scientists and 24 crew members. 3 Eurocopter AS350 Squirrels would land on the deck of the Icebreaker and be stored. 10x Arctic Cat Bearcats, 5x Honda TRX300s, 4x Nodwell 110s and 5x Bandvagn 206s would be stored in the break bulk cargo section. 29 containers would be placed on the ship, all with supplies to build the base at Casey and Wilkins Runway along with other hired construction equipment in the break bulk cargo section. There would be 1,000 cubic metres of fuel onboard and enough food and water to last months. It would plot course for the northern side of the Bailey Peninsula in Wilkes Land and would leave Hobart on transit map coordinates: QE -> PD -> OC.

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
The RSV Aurora Australis would complete its trek across the Southern Ocean. It would begin cutting its way through thick Antarctic ice and it would dock in Newcomb Bay, in a little bay called Brown Bay right on the northern side of the Bailey Peninsula. This would be the location chosen to build Casey Station. Once it would get close enough, the unloading would begin. Containers worth of building supplies would be unloaded with the giant cranes onboard the ship. Personnel would be transported off the ship in the 3 Eurocopters and would begin scouting the land and begin construction. Construction vehicles along with vehicles for the AAD staff would be unloaded. The building process would begin. The plan for the station would be below:

As shown in the map, not only would a base be built by several other structures around the place would also be built like transmitter huts, receiver huts and emergency caches. Whilst the base was being built, staff would quarter onboard the ship which would remained anchored there. They would also scout around the place, observing penguins and doing scientific experiments. They would also go out to scout for a good location to place the Wilkins Runway so that larger aircraft may land on the continent. From the air the lay out for Casey Station would be like this:

The facilities at the station would include:
  • Accommodation with private bedrooms and shared bathrooms
  • Communal living area with indoor climbing, a home theatre, a gym, a photographic dark room, a bar, a library and communal sitting areas
  • Meteorological Centre
  • Hydroponics building (lettuce, green vegetables, tomatoes and fresh herbs are grown)
  • Skiway
  • Wharf
  • Wind Turbines
  • 1.5 kilometre road connecting Station with Wharf
  • Dome-covered satellite tracking antenna
A skiway would be constructed about 10 kilometres east of the station. It would accomodate smaller aircraft. The Eurocopters would scout a location for Wilkins Runway, a location would be found 65 kilometres south-east of the station. The Eurocopters would transport supplies and personnel back and forth to that location in order to facilitate its construction. Construction vehicles would begin a 65 kilometre trek inland to build the runway. A 3.2 kilometre runway would be carved into the ice and there would be construction on a small terminal. How Wilkins Runway plans to look is below:

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
Following the announcement by the Australian Minister for the Environment, Secretary of Antarctic Affairs, Mattias Winblad, would sit firmly behind the desk within his office prepared for a televised statement in relation to the invasion of Antarctica. He sits with a tie tucked neatly into his neck and a black suit draped over his shoulders, shadowed only by a crisp white shirt; impressions were important especially with this statement being the first public acknowledgement of the Swedish occupation of Antarctica. A small crew of three manage the camera, microphones, lighting and streaming of the footage recorded privately in his office, the flag of both the Kingdom of Sweden and Antarctica behind him.

Intelligence which remains unclassified is secured and passed directly to the Department of Defence.

"Good Afternoon,

My name is Secretary Mattias Winblad and I speak to you today on behalf of His Majesty's Government in relation to Antarctica in this undeniably historic occasion. In April 1996, some months ago now, the Swedish Secretary of Defence authorised the deployment of military forces to secure and occupy the continent of Antarctica. We must not underestimate the immense dedication and commitment that was required to complete this task. Servicemen and women whom dedicated their lives to the Swedish Armed Forces commit themselves to deploying to the opposite side of the globe as part of one of the largest military deployments in modern Swedish history.

This was not a question of fighting for previously obtained territory or battling against an opposing government, this was a fight against torturous conditions, the bitter cold, equipment limitations and the eerily hostile environment governing the continent. The training of the Swedish Royal Navy blistered through the odds in a true display of might nonetheless and the flag of Antarctica was planted, beside the flag of the Kingdom of Sweden, only a few months later on the Antarctica Peninsula ; declaring the continent of Antarctica as Swedish overseas territory. Our objectives are clear and concise, to develop the region into a thriving economic centre in which nations globally can take advantage of the unrivalled region for Swedish assets, research and regional development. I was thrilled, as the newly appointed Secretary of Antarctic Affairs, to see that the Commonwealth of Australia had intention to extend the skill set of the Australian Antarctic Division into our territory for research purposes, their economic benefits to the stated 'permanent base' Casey Station are undeniably beneficial to the continent... yet unlawful.

Antarctica remains under Swedish law. The recent deliberate deployment to the region, which has publicly been recognise as Swedish sovereign territory since February 1995 displays a clear intention to invade and violate domestic law and comes from a deep rooted intent by central government to undermine our objectives. I give a simple message to Australia; your research and intentions are welcomed in Antarctica however at the moment you are there unlawfully and acting on behalf of your government, you are to withdraw all Australian nationals and equipment from the continent or feel the full wrath of the Swedish judicial system.

Thank you."​

Following the announcement the recent deployment to Wilkes Land by the Swedish Royal Navy is expedited, authorisation if given by the Department of Defence in conjunction with the Department of Justice for the fleet to ensure Swedish law and order is upheld and to act as a law enforcement. This deployment remains TOP SECRET, as do the specifics of Operation Molybdenum. Sweden's intention was clear, to retain the hard borders set in place in and around Antarctica. The Nordic Council Committee for Defence and Intelligence is immediately informed of the invasion of territory.

@Owen

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
The Minister would be sitting her in office.

"Ma'am, you might want to switch to uh..... BBC World News."

She would watch the announcement by the Swedish Secretary of Antarctic Affairs.

"Well that's kind of him to admit they deployed military to Antarctica. Unfortunately, not much of an occupation as our scientists are yet to encounter any forces." She would say to her Secretary.

"Unlawful? What law? Swedish law? Heh.... imagine that holding up in the International Court of Justice..."

She would respond back with a letter to the Swedish Secretary of Antarctic Affairs.

"Dear Mr. Winbald,

Whilst I am a bit disappointed that I've had to find out about this through the media instead of a direct message to myself, I'm glad that Sweden have voiced their concerns. As for your claim, we are deeply concerned about you deciding to militarily enforce such claim. We believed that that claim, like ours, was nothing more than a claim that would not be acted on militarily. The last thing the pristine and natural wonder of Antarctica needs is military forces or a militarisation of any sort. I'm sure many nations would also agree with me that militarising the Antarctic is not in the global interest. As such, I and the Government of Australia will be bringing this matter to the GA now that you have brought it to my attention. I'm hopeful that our two countries can come to a resolution on the Antarctic continent that benefits not just us but all nations of the globe who may have a vested interest in it. Whilst it's nice to see that Sweden is so optimistic about Antarctica, claiming the whole continent as your own and enforcing it as such does come across as a bit selfish. Australia is only 2,000km away from Antarctica whereas Sweden is on the opposite pole, indeed the Arctic would probably be more suited for your geographical location. Nevertheless, I don't think that is an overwhelming problem but I would like Sweden to recognise that countries closer to Antarctica have a more vested interest in the continent including ourselves, New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina and Chile.

Whilst we certainly had no intentions to violate your law, I do apologise if that has caused any offence to you. However, Sweden's law applying in Antarctica is a very dubious concept and could only be applied if its properly enforced throughout the entirety of the continent. At the moment, I am yet to hear of any nation besides Norway publicly supporting your claim to the entirety of the continent. We certainly do not recognise your claim to the ENTIRE continent. We are open to recognising your claim to some of the continent if you would likewise recognise our claim to the parts we have claimed. But in either context, we would not be open to militarily enforcing any claims and still allow the free movement of peoples from all nations across the continent.

As for the men who are there, they have been very keen for months to get to Antarctica and they are having an absolute ball down there constructing our research base. This base is entirely for research and will be manned by about 160 scientists at the peak season. They pose no threat to any Swedish operations in the continent, in fact they would be more than welcoming to working alongside the Swedish research teams. So don't get too overly concerned about their presence or threatening any legal action. They are about as harmless as a fly. This matter can be resolved in the General Assembly, I'm sure of it.

Thank you for voicing your concerns,
Yours sincerely,
Ros Kelly,
Minister for the Environment, Sport and Territories."

She would inform the Minister of Foreign Affairs about her letter who would continue to monitor and be in charge of this matter and prepare the GA resolution.

@Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018

SPRV Frej

TOP SECRET
Unexpected Action
By this stage, the deployment of the 3rd Frigate Division, 2nd Submarine Squadron, SPRV Frej and SPRV Tor Viking would have arrived in Wilkes Land after an approximate 100+hour voyage from one side of the continent to the other. Their arrival prompted the immediately receipt of correspondence from the Department of Defence authorising rapid and immediate deployment following Australian refusal to vacate the territory. The arrival of such a vast amount of military equipment in the region would almost certainly stand out the a sore thumb off the coast of Antarctica and in itself stood as a strong deterrent and display of Swedish strength - the message was simple, vacate and return lawfully. The SPRV Frej echoed loudly immediately upon idling to next-to-no speed at all, slowly shuffling through the ice towards the last known location of the RSV Aurora Australis with the HSwMS Sydpolen in tow; radio communications are broadcast across numerous channels.

"Unidentified vessel, unidentified vessel, this is Swedish warship Sydpolen, you have entered Swedish territorial waters; please acknowledge immediately."​

In the meantime HSwMS Mörker, HSwMS Ark, HSwMS Polär, HSwMS Vit, HSwMS Kall, HSwMS Isolerat, HSwMS Aveny, HSwMS Passera and SPRV Tor Viking idle outside of any thick ice, maintaining an appropriately distanced 'wall' of radar equipment, sensors and military presence. The Department of Defence was clear with its approach, to allow the Swedish Royal Navy to act as law enforcement for the region following the unexpected and frankly unlawful occupation of Swedish territory. In the likely event that Australia continues to ignore the instruction of the Swedish government the SPRV Frej would begin preparations for the deployment of their Sikorsky MH-60R Seahawk carried as part of Operation Molybdenum.

@Owen

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
The captain of the RSV Aurora Australis, which would be sitting in Brown Bay working with the people on the ground to build the base, would radio back to the Sydpolen.

"Can't you see the big writing on the side that says Aurora Australis?" He would have a little laugh.

"Nah just joking with you mate. This is Australian Antarctic Division research ship Aurora Australis, how may I be of assistance?" He would say in a thick Australian accent.

The crew down in Antarctic had received no correspondence from AAD about the Swedish TV broadcast. He would be oblivious to all of this.

"Swedish territorial waters? He's joking right?" He would turn to one of his crew members.

"Let Hobart know." The other crew member would immediately radio back AAD Headquarters in Hobart. AAD would immediately pass it onto the Minister who would pass it onto the Prime Minister. The Prime Minister would immediately call a National Security Committee of Cabinet meeting and would invite the Minister for the Environment, Sport and Territories as a guest.

"WHAT THE SHIT!" The Prime Minister would enter the meeting, hadn't been told about anything until now.

"WHAT IS GOING ON"

The Minister for Foreign Affairs would speak. "Earlier today, the Swedish made a broadcast, a public one, stating that they did not approve of our presence in Antarctica. I told them that we have a mission and we don't recognise their sovereignty. Now they have surrounded the Aurora Australis with navy vessels and its escalating quickly."

"Get me the Swedish Prime Minister on the phone, NOW!"

The Prime Minister would pick up the phone and ring the Prime Minister of Sweden.

@Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
TOP SECRET
Escalation or Deescalate
HSwMS Sydpolen continues to pressure the RSV Aurora Australis with the assistance of the SPRV Frej, encroaching on their position which allows a much better view of their operation from the bridge of the warship. They remain professional and firm with their radio transmissions making use of pre-written instruction portrayed with a stern voice.

"RSV Aurora Australis, this is Swedish warship Sydpolen, you have entered Swedish territorial waters. I am instructed by His Majesty's Government of the Kingdom of Sweden to advise that you immediately divert your course in line with the internationally recognised Law of the Sea. Acknowledge."​

Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven answers the telephone, not recognising the area code on the telephone line; his team ensure it is encrypted.
"Hello?"​

@Owen

Last edited:

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
The Aurora Australis would radio back.

"Unfortunately I cannot do that unless I have received further instructions from the Minister for the Environment. She's not paying us to do nothing."

The Prime Minister would speak.

"Hello Stefan, Paul Keating here. Looks like we have a bit of a situation here. I would like to understand your grievances a bit more so we can avoid an international incident. This is clearly something you're getting very worked up about, over a research team in a part of the world you don't practically exercise sovereignty over. Now we've brought this matter to the Global Assembly which we see as the forum most fit to determine these matters. You've clearly made up your mind on Antarctica, but we see this part of the world as well... part of the world. As such it requires a resolution to resolve the legal disputes which have clearly arised. It was an area of law that I believe the GA have clearly neglected. It's time we made that right. Unfortunately this situation just serves to escalate tensions that to be honest, were non-existent until today. We want the status quo to remain, as clearly there was peace and no harm being done by either side until now. I do believe the ball is firmly in your court. Unfortunately asking those men to leave will do them a great disservice to their work which they have been very eager to undertake. These are professional scientists, this is what they do. They are not here to play politics or international disputes, they are there because it's their passion. So lets leave them out of this, hey? We will solve this between me and you."

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
TOP SECRET
Oops...
HSwMS Sydpolen makes a final radio call whilst systematically beginning to train the appropriate detection systems towards the vessel.
"RSV Aurora Australis, this is Swedish warship Sydpolen, you have entered Swedish territorial waters. You are violating the internationally recognised Law of the Sea, you are to divert your course immediately."​

The lack of physical acknowledgement by the Australians caused for the situation to escalate further, this was now wilful and intentional infringement of Sweden's national sovereignty and it would not be tolerated. With the Sikorsky MH-60R Seahawk primed and ready the crew would board without delay and marshals rush to the deck to ensure the safe ushering of the aircraft away from the main bulk of the frigate. With little delay the aircraft reaches an appropriate altitude and begins a fly-past of the RSV Aurora Australis, from the sky they were able to begin intelligence gathering by live video feed to the operations room on-board the frigate, ensuring they adequately caught sight on any hard mounted weaponry, personnel and equipment onboard. This forms part of an initial assessment prior to boarding, if deemed appropriate.

The Prime Minister continues to amuse the Australian telephone call... bemused that the Minister would address the Prime Minister of a foreign state by first name.

"Paul. I have heard about the developments in Antarctica, my understanding is that your research crews are wilfully infringing on international law, if you were a reasonable man you would arrange for their withdrawal from our territorial waters. Antarctica is internationally recognised as Swedish sovereign territory and that has been undisputed since 1995. As my Secretary mentioned in his statement, I have no issue with Australians being present in Antarctica however at present they are undocumented and unauthorised illegals; whether you have a case with the Global Assembly is beside the point... you are within our waters and subject to our laws. I am giving you the ball, have your teams leave Antarctica before I authorise their arrest and trial in Swedish courts. You will not make my government look like a fool on the international stage."​

@Owen

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
"Well I really REALLY doubt that Antarctica is internationally recognised as Swedish sovereign territory. I'm yet to hear of any other country acknowledging it. Hence we've gone ahead with this research mission, we've had no indication from you that you are exercising your sovereignty or from the international community recognising the continent as your sovereignty. Hence, we do not see them as undocumented and unauthorised illegals. This is nothing but threats and intimidation by the Swedish Government so do you really expect me to back down on this? Do you really expect that to happen? Do you honestly believe that threats and intimidation like this are warranted or going to make us change our position? No. The only person making you look like a fool on the international stage is yourself. This will go down badly internationally if you arrest a bunch of scientists on a continent you hardly exercised any authority over and have a baseless claim to such authority and then put them through what I expect to be a Kangaroo court. And they are only operating under orders, if you want to arrest someone it should be my Minister who authorised it. This is unfair to those scientists. I have offered you the status quo and to bring this matter to the Global Assembly, but you are continuing to act against the interests of peace.

If the Global Assembly determines that Antarctica is indeed the sovereign territory of Sweden, then yes I will order the full withdrawal of those scientists. Until then, I'm not going to be threatened like this, Stefan. It's completely unwarranted for a bunch of people acting peacefully. Laws are there to stop harm from being done, not for you to chest beat and get a kick out of your ego.

All I am asking is for you to back down, resolve this peacefully and take it to the forum where we resolve international disputes; the Global Assembly. Can you do that? Can you put your ego aside for one minute?"

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
TOP SECRET
Time to Shine
The Prime Minister has enough of the Australians bullying their way through politics.
"Your disrespect towards me is not amusing, you are letting the reputation of your government down, this is frankly childish. You have been informed that you've openly violated our territorial borders and you have failed to resort to international waters for the safety and security of all those involved I will not allow you to use Australian nationals as pawns for the Global Assembly's amusement... if you were performing a similar action on the mainland of the United States of America, would you expect them to allow your personnel to remain within the state whilst they negotiated the validity of their territory in the Global Assembly? No. You have failed in your position as a Minister and you have failed your duty of care to those scientists. The Australian's within Antarctica are there illegally, without documentation, I therefore will be authorising their arrest. You are testing me Paul, this is nothing more than your attempt to see how far Sweden will go. I will not be pushed around by your government especially when it comes to you violating the crown."​

The telephone call ends abruptly, followed only a short while later by an encrypted fax authorising the arrest of all and any persons, of any nationally, identified as being within Swedish overseas territory without documentation in line with the Allemennsrett Area arrangements. The message is very quickly received by HSwMS Sydpolen who, with the support of SPRV Frej begins to power towards the RSV Aurora Australis. The helicopter, temporarily assigned callsign "ANGEL" hovers precariously above the vessel continuing to monitor activity onboard.

As the ship approaches the Australian vessel a very simple radio communication is broadcast.
"RSV Aurora Australis, this is Swedish warship Sydpolen. You failed to comply with our lawful instructions, return your throttle to idle and bring your crew to the deck - we are authorised by His Majesty's Government of the Kingdom of Sweden to begin the boarding procedure of your vessel under Swedish maritime law. Acknowledge."​

Following this broadcast an alarm sounds across the decks and halls of frigate, the operations managers voice echoing across a tannoy, prompting personnel to scurry to their appropriate locations and don personal protective equipment as the vessels come ever closer. Personnel on the exterior of the vessel would begin ensuring the two ships did not collide but much rather safely pulled alongside one another. The aircraft above continues to monitor Australian activity whilst this occurs. All Swedish personnel uniforms clearly display the Swedish flag on the arm, identifying them as a member of the ships company. They'd arm themselves appropriately, as they would with any ship boarding.
"HANDS TO ACTION STATIONS, HANDS TO ACTION STATIONS"​

One safely alongside the crew await the emergence of the most senior officer, as common practice when a ship is boarded.

@Owen

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
"Just blatant gaslighting with this one." The Prime Minister would hear the telephone call end.

"His loss."

The captain would radio back.

"We are idle... we're anchored here?? Is that not obvious?"

The scientists who were on the ground in Antarctica, which was most of them, would be observing what was happening with the ship and the helicopters surrounding it.

"What the hell is going on...." They would all gather from a position and watch. Some however were about 65 kilometres inland at the Wilkins Runway site.

The captain and all the people who were on the ship, about 20 of them, would surrender to the Swedish as they boarded. The captain would radio back to Hobart what was occurring and inform them that the ship was being boarded.

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
TOP SECRET
Boarding
Armed personnel would rush to the side of the vessel pulled carefully alongside the RSV Aurora Australis, a bridge would be thrown across the gape between the vessels granting access to the Swedish personnel whom would calmly walk across to the deck of the now-neighbouring vessel. Immediately upon accessing the vessel personnel would begin the thorough search and seizure of contraband or items which may pose an immediate and unlawful risk to to property, life or limb. Whilst within crew quarters the personnel would begin stripping the bunks of personal belongings and any goods causing it to become as close to a cell-block as they could put into effect. Once complete the most senior Swedish officer on-board would approach the Captain and issue the appropriate notice to effect the arrest of the vessel, formally permitting the Swedish Royal Navy to seize control. From here they would move on to effect the arrest of the immediately available crew.

A member of the ships company steps forward before the small crowd and completed the formalities.
"I, an officer of the Swedish Royal Navy, am authorised by His Majesty's Government of the Kingdom of Sweden to effect your immediate apprehension and arrest subject to Swedish domestic law. You are now under arrest on suspicion of illegally entering Antarctica, a Swedish overseas territory. You will now be subject to a cursory search by personnel onboard before we ask you to return to your bunks before deportation."​

The crew, currently calm at present, were intentionally not bound with handcuffs or zip-ties to reduce the likelihood of escalation however there was sufficient equipment to do so if deemed necessary. Any persons directly resisting instruction would be escorted into the HSwMS Sydpolen and further detained. All actions of the Swedish Royal Navy were continued to be captured by photographers within ANGEL. Once thoroughly searched and all belongings seized, the crew on-board would be guided back to their bunks.

A fax is returned to the Department of Antarctic Affairs informing them of the arrests.

Meanwhile ANGEL would now begin to round up the remaining personnel on Antarctica, performing a low fly-past, rounding them like ship back towards the RSV Aurora Austalis.

@Owen

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
The Captain would surrender all 20 men who were on the ship to the Swedish who had boarded. "I would like to know what warrant you have for this search and which court authorised it. Or is Sweden just a lawless civilisation? This is completely unacceptable behaviour."

Meanwhile, the crew on Antarctica would not move because frankly, they no idea what was going on. They would look up to the sky and see a helicopter performing a lie fly past.

"Looks like... Swedish markings." One would say to another.

"What on earth are the Swedish doing in this part of the globe."

One of the members on the ground would radio the 20 or so who were at the Wilkins Runway site, 65 kilometres inland about the Swedish arriving. So far, the Swedish would be completely unaware there was a construction site 65 kilometres away. There was nothing obviously to make them go search over that way.

"Wilkins Runway crew, we've got a little situation down here. Seems like theres an array of Swedish helicopters and ships surrounding the Aurora Australis. We will give you updates when we can. Probably best you stay where you are for the time being this could get ugly. One's doing a fly past over us, god knows what they want."

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
TOP SECRET
Warrants?
With the details of the personnel's positioning public knowledge, ANGEL would have little difficulty identifying the remaining personnel on the mainland. With little movement identified by those on the ground, they would land and personally explain that they are being detained and ushered back towards the RSV Aurora Australis. This would be echoed to the personnel at the Wilkins Runway site whom were also advised to return immediately where a full count would be conducted. ANGEL would continue to monitor the movement of personnel pending their return.

Meanwhile on the RSV Aurora Australis the senior officer explains to the ignorant Captain:
"Swedish law dictates that upon your arrest I have the power to search you, the location in which you are arrested if I have reasonable grounds for believing that you may present a danger to yourself or others. Further to this I have the power to seize any item which I believe may be used to assist escape from lawful custody or may be evidence relating to any offence. Your vessel has been seized as you are unlawfully within Swedish territorial waters without appropriate documentation, licence, endorsements or customs papers... and it's evidence of the offence for which you have been arrested. Any further questions?"​

The crew awaits the return of the remaining personnel.

@Owen

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
The scientists on the ground would be airlifted by the 3 Eurocopters back onto the ship. There was no point staying on the ground, all the food and accomodation was onboard the ship. The helicopters would also retrieve the personnel from the Wilkins Runway site. All in all a total of 116 personnel would be onboard the ship now. They would also go ahead and move all the vehicles that were placed on the ground in Antarctica to back onboard the ship, using the ships cranes. All the equipment they brought to Antarctica would be placed back onto the ship as to not upset the natural environment of Antarctica. However, Casey Station and Wilkins Runway would remain half completed as it would take too much time to tear down the structures. They would remain, eerily, as some sort of remnants of an Australian presence in Antarctica. They would be added to the National Heritage Register meaning they cannot be harmed or altered in anyway unless approval from the Department of the Environment, Sport and Territories.

Last edited:

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
TOP SECRET
Detention
All Australian scientists are secured within the crew quarters of RSV Aurora Australis where they'd be under the detention of the Swedish Royal Navy, throughout their time on the vessel the food and drink supplies would be rationed to ensure all personnel on board received adequate meals to ensure their general nutritional requirements are met whilst also ensuring the food lasts until the vessel is able to dock at dry land. All persons in custody would be asked for their personal details, allergies, medical conditions and treatments, mental health status, injuries, religious requirements and any other information which may be prevalent to their detention, this is all recorded securely and shared with the Swedish Department of Justice.

Whilst the ships company await further orders, the Attorney General grants a custodial extension to retain all persons arrested until they can be brought before a mainland court and ensured a fair trial. Despite there being no agreement between Sweden and Australia regarding information sharing of any form, especially involving the arrest of a foreign national, the Australian Embassy in Sweden is notified of their arrest. The Nordic Council member states remain briefed throughout via secure channels.

Owen Odinson

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
SECURE
Return and Escort
Following the newly ratified Agreement between the Kingdom of Sweden and the Commonwealth of Australia 1996 an encrypted fax would be sent across to the divisions focused with the Australian invasion in Wilkes Land where they would, without doubt, be completed shocked by the completed unexpected arrangements between the two states. Never-the-less, the Captain of the HSwMS Sydpolen would take the lead with the Australian crew and enter the quarters in-which they are being carefully held in custody.

"Ladies and gentlemen, good news... our respective governments have come to an arrangement that sees your immediate release from Swedish custody and return to international waters with your equipment. We will now formally relinquish control of this vessel back to your Captain and return to our ship to see your safe exit from Swedish territorial waters. Thank you for your cooperation"​

Given there were no immediate medical concerns or any circumstance in which the Swedish Royal Navy could assist with the execution of the agreement, they would return to the HSwMS Sydpolen and await the Australians to leave.

Owen

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
"Oh okay... Well thanks for holding us captive for a few days :)"

They would watch as the Swedish head back into their helicopters and departed off the ship. The ship would begin making preparations to head back to Fremantle. They would reinstate communications back with the Australian Antarctic Division headquarters.

"Hobart, this is Aurora Australis. We've taken control of the vessel again."

The crew would make sure that all the equipment they had on the continent came back onboard safely including the 3 Eurocopter Squirrels. It would seem everything was in order and the only thing left in Antarctica was the half built research station. They would depart north, heading back to Fremantle, Western Australia. HMAS Arunta, an Anzac-class Frigate would depart from HMAS Stirling, on Garden Island off the coast of Rockingham, Western Australia. It would head south, OF -> OE -> OD. It would be armed with 32x RIM-7 Sea Sparrows, 6x Mark 46 Torpedoes, 8x Harpoon Anti-Ship Missiles and 1x SH-60 Seahawk from 805 Squadron. Its job would be to escort the RSV Aurora Australis once in international waters. It would not go into Swedish territorial waters at all.

Once the RSV Aurora Australis was out of Swedish territorial waters into international waters, HMAS Arunta would begin escorting it to Fremantle.

Connor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darren