STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: February

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 31/03/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[GA] Resolution on Climate Change and a Clean Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Junior
Aug 4, 2018

THE GLOBAL ASSEMBLY

(EST 2010)

RESOLUTION PROPOSAL FORM

SECRETARY GENERAL

HEADQUARTERS

# SERIAL NUMBER

Mr. Gregory Figueroa​

London, United Kingdom​

First 3 Letters of Nation​

[ASSEMBLY MEMBER]: Delegate Nguyễn Thái Yên, Republic of Vietnam​

[DATE]: 19/09/2013​

[SUBJECT]: Resolution on Climate Change and a Clean Earth​

[DRAFT]:​

Deeply disturbed at the effects of climate change on planet Earth,​

Recognizing our duty to our postierity in ensuring a clean and habitable planet,​

Realizing our ability to dedicate resources in order to prevent climate change and restore further damage,​

1. Supports the reduction of deforestation and the production of reforestation throughout the world by means such as increasing penalties and consequences for illegal deforestation, increasing the productivity of livestock and agriculture to reduce the open land necessary for such endeavors, and the planting of new trees and forests to absorb carbon from the atmosphere;
  2. Recommends the use of hemp as an ingredient in paper and other wood products to minimize deforestation and maximize the absorption of carbon in the atmosphere;
  3. Affirms the importance of educational programs to raise awareness of climate change and its relevance to the global population;
  4. Requests that nations minimize their dependence on fossil fuels by turning instead to methods such as hydropower, solar power, wind power, LED lighting, Bioethanol fuel, Geothermal energy, and other renewable resources;
  5. Calls for advancement in the eco-friendly car industry in order to cut down on everyday greenhouse gas emissions;
  6. Sanctions countries who exceedingly produce carbon emissions that harm the atmosphere;
  7. Recognizes that global warming and climate change are scientific fact and should be considered such by countries participating within the General Assembly;

Last edited by a moderator:

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
The Norwegian ambassador to the General Assembly arrived and took his seat, and then proceeded to read the resolution.

Logan

Senior
Jul 1, 2018
The Serbian representative would arrive, reading the resolution before immediately launching into his disapproval.

"This resolution doesn't account for the continued need of lumber, nor does it account for extremely safe, reliable, and clean sources of power.

I would like, therefore, to propose the following amendments."

[DRAFT]:

Deeply disturbed at the effects of climate change on planet Earth,
Recognizing our duty to our posterity in ensuring a clean and habitable planet,
Realizing our ability to dedicate resources in order to prevent climate change and restore further damage,

1. Supports the reduction of deforestation and the production of reforestation throughout the world by means such as increasing penalties and consequences for illegal deforestation, increasing the productivity of livestock and agriculture to reduce the open land necessary for such endeavors, encouraging sustainable forestry and rotational timber growing practices, and the planting of new trees and forests to absorb carbon from the atmosphere;
  2. Recommends the use of hemp as an ingredient in paper and other wood products to minimize deforestation and maximize the absorption of carbon in the atmosphere;
  3. Affirms the importance of educational programs to raise awareness of climate change and its relevance to the global population;
  4. Requests that nations minimize their dependence on fossil fuels by turning instead to methods such as nuclear power, hydropower, solar power, wind power, LED lighting, Bioethanol fuel, Geothermal energy, and other renewable resources;
  5. Calls for advancement in the eco-friendly car industry in order to cut down on everyday greenhouse gas emissions;
  6. Sanctions countries who exceedingly produce carbon emissions that harm the atmosphere;
  7. Recognizes that global warming and climate change are scientific fact scientific consensus and should be considered such by countries participating within the General Assembly;

D

Deleted member 5

Claudette Dubois, a French Ambassador, would arrive to General Assembly took her seat and would read the transcript.

Joe

Junior
Aug 4, 2018
The Vietnamese representative, a Madam Linh Mach, would stand after renewing the proposals of the Serbian representative. She had a sharp, clean, business-like appearance and although she was rather young (barely out of her 30s), she was quite well-known in Vietnam as a cut throat prosecutor.

"Mr. Chairman," She would say politely towards Secretary General Figueroa. "The Vietnamese delegation recognizes the Serbian delegation's amendment to subsection 1 and supports it. However, we would like to open debate in response to their amendments regarding subsection 4. In today's day and age, renewable energy is rapidly becoming cheaper and our technological means for dealing with the main drawback of renewable energy, primarily storage, is getting a closer margin by the day. For example, we can already take excess energy produced on windy or sunny days and store it in batteries or in pumped reservoirs for later when the excess energy is needed."

She would gesture while speaking, all the while maintaining the easy-going smile and soft voice. She was quite the image of the delicate, Vietnamese flower. A feminine creature that was also known as the Viper in the courtroom for striking quickly.

"Renewable energy allows energy to be provided for at or near little cost. Fundamentally, renewable energy can achieve anything that nuclear energy can, even better in countries that don't possess nuclear power plants such as Serbia. The question I wish to pose to this room is, why should we bother with promoting nuclear energy when our energy needs are filled with renewables? Why should we put ourselves at risk of a large disaster? Why should we continue to support an energy source that no country, at least to date, has yet to come up with a permanent, clean storage solution for nuclear waste which is a byproduct of this process. Why should we bother with any of the risks when we have alternatives that suit our needs without the problems I look forward to working with the Assembly on this."

She'd sit down.

Logan

Senior
Jul 1, 2018
"On the Contrary, Mr. Chair. Nuclear waste has one of the easiest plans to deal with. Simply bury it in a sufficiently deep salt cavern in concrete cocoons. The only serious obstacle to this method being undertaken has been the idiocy of politicians and populations who suffer from 'not in my back yard' syndrome. This is a well-recognized and well-received plan by the global nuclear industry. Even beyond that, within our reach today are technologies such as breeder reactors and liquid salt reactors which produce even less waste while being able to consume or revitalize the waste produced by the older generations of reactors.

Furthermore, there is no serious proposal for renewable sources that maintain anything near the energy density of nuclear power, and that can even come close to rivaling a plant without taking up many square miles of land. Put very simply, the largest wind plant in the world takes nearly 15 square kilometers of land and produces only 6 Gigawatts Electrical (GWe). The largest solar farm takes almost 50 and yet can only eke out a nameplate capacity of 7.2 GWe. Meanwhile, you have nuclear power plants that were built in the 70s that take up a fraction of that space. And offshore wind's production is even more abysmal. The only scalable power sources like this that can provide any sort of baseload capacity comparable to nuclear power without relying on battery technologies that are still outside of our reach are fossil fuels and hydropower. Fossil fuels which we are aiming to replace, and hydropower which many countries simply do not have any more optimal sites to build.

Only by adopting all possible solutions can such a task be solved. This hatred that many have towards Nuclear based on questions that have already been answered and risks that have already been mitigated, does the entire world a disservice."

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
The Swedish Ambassador to the Global Assembly, provided by the Swedish Department for Foreign Affairs, Marc Kvet walks into the chamber from his officer holding a Starbucks and numerous papers... he smiles and greets his Baltic counterparts and takes his usual seat before reading through the transcript. He glaces up once the reading is complete, rolling his eyes but quickly interrupting the conversation...

"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, all I have to say is this draft names sanctions, sanctions and more sanctions... it's becoming painfully clear that the General Assembly is being used as a way to enhance economic sanction rather than the betterment of the international community. Representative for Vietnam, I apologise for using your title however we have not met, I encourage you to explain to the chamber how your proposal aims to ensure a 'cleaner Earth' and show us that this is not just another money-making tactic by a LEDC."

He smiles, sitting back down into his chair and buttoning his jacket.

Joe

Junior
Aug 4, 2018
Linh Mach, the Vietnamese Representative to the General Assembly, would arise to her feet once more. After collecting her notes, she would address the General Secretary.

"Mr. Chairman, if you would kindly allow me to address both the Swedish and Serbian delegation," She would politely ask. After recieving the go-ahead, she would round upon the Swedish ambassador. "Delegate Kvet, aside from the fact that this document only states the word "sanction" one time and is only to address countries that produce an excessive amount of carbon emissions into the atmosphere, I would simply say to this: shame on you. You come into this chamber and try to fabricate a false argument while at the same time, insulting every single effort that humanity is taking to ensure a cleaner Earth. Have you not read the document, or did you simply see the word "sanctions", and cry foul?"

Gesturing to her assistant, she'd have the document projected on the main screen.

"Allow me to explain, Delegate Kvet, how a document like this would help create a cleaner Earth. Argument 1: Supports the reduction of deforestation and the production of reforestation throughout the world by means such as increasing penalties and consequences for illegal deforestation, increasing the productivity of livestock and agriculture to reduce the open land necessary for such endeavors, and the planting of new trees and forests to absorb carbon from the atmosphere. With this being said, I don't think I need to go into explanation of how deforestation is harming our planet, but since you believe that this is nothing more of a money-making effort, I will kindly explain. Through a natural process, trees create oxygen as a byproduct when they use sunlight to make glucose from carbon dioxide and water. Naturally, the less trees we have, the less clean oxygen... or rather, air that we need to breath, is being reduced. Aproximately 18 million acres of forest, around 20% the size of your country Sweden, is lost every year. I don't think I need to remind you that this is a serious issue that needs addressing, Delegate Kvet."

She'd flick her slide over, zooming in on the second subsection.

"Moving along, we can see that this document recommends that we utilize hemp as a paper substitute. Ladies and Gentlemen of the Assembly, around 40 percent of the annual wood harvest, also referred to as deforestation, is used to process paper and paperboard. The volume has doubled since the 60s and only continues to rise. If we wish to create a cleaner planet, then I advise that we seek alternatives to lower that percentage. Hemp is naturally an excellent choice. It is easy to grow, requires minimal care, and yields a large crop every 2-3 months subject to favorable weather conditions. We have an opportunity here, Assembly, to effectively slash deforestation in half. As a country that is 70% forest, Delegate Kvet, I'm sure that you know the absolute necessity of reducing deforestation before it is too late."

She'd flick to the third subsection, on an absolute roll.

"The third section, which is my absolute favorite, affirms the important of educational programs to raise awareness of climate change. We obviously can do a lot as an Assembly, but we cannot get very far without the backing of the people. We in this Assembly see climate change as an absolute fact. However, if more than half of the United States of America believes that climate change is a myth, this needs to be addressed. I will not address the Fourth Subsection as i believe that is rather self-explanatory. However, since you feel that this proposal is a money-making grab and not an effort to make the Earth a "cleaner" place, then I will advise you on renewable energy. After all, as a billion dollar industry in Sweden, I know that it is fairly important for you. Ladies and gentlemen, we all know the benefits of renewable energy. Unlike fossil fuels which generate carbon, which is detrimental to our atmosphere, renewable energy has almost zero byproducts. Yes, zero. It is naturally replenished and a clean source of energy. If this does not explain how it is better for the international community, Delegate Kvet, then I'm afraid that you are in denial."

"Finally, we see sanctions. Sanctions, sanctions, sanctions. The one fearful word that the Swedish delegation saw and wrote off the whole document. Ladies and gentlemen, we share this planet. No one absolutely runs it. As a matter of fact, we don't even own it. We are guests in this home. We are guests in this planet, and as of late, we have been poor caretakers and this home is falling apart. However, we must address this issue as a collective unit. No one country can merely try and frantically repair this home and the damage done to it while the others undo everything that the one country has put forward. That is why I promote and encourage the use of sanctions. We must have teeth and we must discipline those that seek to harm this planet. Now, Mr. Delegate, I have given forth my reasoning and I look forward to working with you to create a resolution that is beneficial to all... however, I would simply like to reiterate that your reasoning does not stand, is fallacious, and has no logical reasoning."

After her spiel, she'd turn on the Serbian Delegate. She'd eye the clock, seeing her remaining time. She had barely enough to address the committee.

"Mr. Delegate," She'd say politely. "I politely disagree. The reasoning behind this document is to collectively address climate change as well as encourage clean energy. Nuclear energy is anything but. While we see that nuclear energy has potential, as a collective, we simply cannot get behind it. Clean energy does have any waste, Mr. Delegate. Nuclear waste cannot be recycled, it is highly radioactive, and we have no actual process to dispose of it other than simply throwing it into a cave and yielding the issue to our posterity. It is this "not my problem, but the next generation" attitude that has us in this problem in the first place. No, Mr. Delegate, nuclear energy is anything but safe and clean. Might I also remind this Assembly the danger of a nuclear meltdown? Three Mile Island, Fukushima, Chernobyl. Ladies and gentlemen, a nuclear disaster has the potential to devastate an entire area for years to come."

"Might I remind you, countries are free to seek their own use of nuclear energy on their own. What this resolution does is encourage the use of clean, renewable energy while also limiting our use of fossil fuels. However, Mr. Delegate, might I remind you that more than half of your electricity is generated using renewables. The only renewables are not merely wind and solar energy, but also geothermal and hydropower, which is responsible for more than half of your energy output. I also would like to point out that nuclear energy is utilized in only 10% of the world, a 10% of that Serbia is not a part of. It simply is not a viable option when it comes to energy, nor is it very clean. As a collective, we should not endorse it. I look forward to working with the Assembly on this matter."

Logan

Senior
Jul 1, 2018
"Three Mile Island released less radiation to the local population that the average chest x-ray exposes the patient to. Chernobyl was caused by a callous government with no regard to its citizens refusing to listen to the warnings of the entire western world, and Fukushima was caused similarily by a plant which was not built to spec, and which was situated in an area that was most definitely out of spec. Nuclear power has killed the least people per terawatt hour of every power source. Next generation breeder reactors will decrease the waste to negligible amounts easily dealt with. Reactors for which there are prototypes actually producing power, unlike proposals for large battery banks capable of actually providing the sorts of power that a community needs during peak consumption. This is certainly a better prospect than further polluting the earth with the rare earths required for renewables and the wastes created by the use of these rare earths."

Naio90

Federal Republic of Ethiopia
Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
The argentine representative would intervene in a gap:

"Gentlemen, I do think that the issue regarding climate change is a priority issue to be discussed and addressed. However, there are things far more pivotal to this than discussing types of energy...

Essentially, the way the proposed draft is worded, it is sentencing almost 2/3 of the world to relinquish industrial elements that are inherent to economic growth. Elements that were widely used, and exploided, in the past 200 years by todays leading industrial nations. How did those nations actually reach today's stage? By polluting and consuming resources. It seems to my nation that these crountries, which have already done most of the damage to the environment, but in return have reached a develop-nation status thanks to this, are intending to restric other, developing economies, from doing the same, from developing.

If developing economies are to be forced to relinquish their industrial growth potential, the developed nations should make up for this by subsidizing the generated costs of looking for alternative growth methods."

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
Marc chuckles to himself, making note of the severe leap to a defensive position from the Vietnamese and their attempt to put the Swedish name into disrepute my manipulating a neutral question.

"Thank you Vietnam, may the world forever be in your debt"

Moe

His Dudeness
Jul 2, 2018
Brazilian Representative Juan Valdez arrives at his seat catching The Swedish rep's last snarky comment and shakes his head ruefully. He takes a look at the latest minutes.

Alex

Kingdom of Greece
Apr 16, 2019
The Thai representative, Sumatra Ratana, would arrive and take his seat. He would read up on what happened and what had been said.

"I would agree with the Argentine representative." He would state with a simple tone. "For centuries, countries such as the United States of America, France, and the United Kingdom have tossed aside any concern for the environment and polluted the air and water without a care. Furthermore, these nations have all been known to be imperialistic in nature, invading and stealing other nations' resources to fuel their continuous pollution.

But now, that these invaded and occupied nations have their freedom and their autonomy it is your wish to prevent these nations from getting out of the gutter that they were left in after the imperialists left their lands. The environment is important, I agree with you, but developing nations are not the cause for climate change and for you to task them on preventing or reversing problems that are not their fault is not only insulting but quite impossible without causing mass poverty in the countries.

Compensation from the largest polluters would be required."

Moe

His Dudeness
Jul 2, 2018
Brazilian Representative Juan Valdez would stand and remark,

"Representative Ratana's position is totally correct. Climate change is upon us wether we like it or not. To combat this, we need sensible goals to slow down, if not reverse what is occurring as I speak. But with that comes money. And the largest polluters of the planet should be the ones footing the bill, and also compensating the countries and people's they subjugated for so long."

Apingdaldal

RP'ing The Philippines, RL'ing The Philippines
Jul 1, 2018
The Federal Republic of the Philippines' representative; Ms. Maja Salvador, would arrive. She would apologize for being late, takes her seat, would read the transcript.

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
This is a response by the Secretary General, not of Norway.

If there was no further discussion, the resolution was then brought up for a vote by the Secretary General.

THE GLOBAL ASSEMBLY
(EST 2010)

THE OFFICIAL POLLING CARD

SECRETARY GENERAL

# POLLING LOCATION

# SERIAL NUMBER

Mr. Gregory Figueroa​

London, United Kingdom​

First 3 Letters of Nation​

HELLO HELLO
[ASSEMBLY MEMBER]: REPRESENTATIVES NAME​
[DATE]: DD/MM/YYYY​
[VOTE]: APPROVE/ABSTAIN/DECLINE​
[REASON]: BRIEF EXPLANATION​

Code:
[TABLE=center][TR][TD][CENTER][img2=100]https://image.ibb.co/g1paue/Global_Assembly_Logo.png[/img2][/CENTER]

[CENTER][B]THE GLOBAL ASSEMBLY 
[I][SIZE=1](EST 2010)[/SIZE][/I][/B][/CENTER][/TD][TD][CENTER][B][SIZE=4]THE OFFICIAL POLLING CARD[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]
[TABLE=noborder][TR][TD][CENTER][B][COLOR=#026EB4]SECRETARY GENERAL[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER][/TD][TD][CENTER][B][COLOR=#026EB4]# POLLING LOCATION[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER][/TD][TD][CENTER][B][COLOR=#026EB4]# SERIAL NUMBER[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER][/TD][/TR][TR][TD][CENTER]Mr. Gregory Figueroa[/CENTER][/TD][TD][CENTER]London, United Kingdom[/CENTER][/TD][TD][CENTER]First 3 Letters of Nation[/CENTER][/TD][/TR][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]
[TABLE=center][TR][TD][INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][B][[COLOR=#026EB4]ASSEMBLY MEMBER[/COLOR]][/B]: REPRESENTATIVES NAME
[B][[COLOR=#026EB4]DATE[/COLOR]][/B]: DD/MM/YYYY

[B][[COLOR=#026EB4]VOTE[/COLOR]][/B]: APPROVE/ABSTAIN/DECLINE
[B][[COLOR=#026EB4]REASON[/COLOR]][/B]: BRIEF EXPLANATION
[/INDENT][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Alex

Kingdom of Greece
Apr 16, 2019
"If I may, Secretary-General, while Vietnam has remained silent about the criticisms concerning their Resolution, I do agree with them that climate change is a great concern for all nations.

If it is okay with the other members present, I would like to recommend in us editing this Resolution so that it suits the nations of the Global Assembly instead of voting on it now and likely shutting it down permanently."

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018

"If you have a superior addition that the Vietnamese ambassador may approve of, please propose it," the Secretary General said.

@Alex

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018

"Since there are no additions, we will now begin the vote as previously stated," the Secretary General said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darren