STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[Japan] Message to India

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018

日本

State of Japan

'Land of the Rising Sun'

Ministry of Foriegn Affairs

The contents of this message is encrypted and strictly confidential

Sender:

Junichiro Koizumi

Recipient:

Asin Thottumkal

Dear President Thottumkal

I must say it is with much pleasure to see political order and governance return the the rising power of India. I would like to start by introducing myself, on behalf of the Japanese government and its peoples, as we would like to open official diplomatic relations between the Republic of India and the State of Japan.

Japan and India have had a traditionally close relationship even before the colonial era, primarily brought about by cultural similarities. Nowadays, we share a close bond, but rather based on economic and military cooperation. We would like to continue this close bond, and to progress its development, propose a Free-Trade Agreement. This would strengthen economic ties and allow greater trade in the private and state sectors alike.

As your administration is rather new, it can be presumed that India seeks to expand and develop its military capabilities in order to compete with regional powers. To aid in this, I offer Japans assistance, whether it be military sales, technological research or agreement and treaties; we would be happy to help.

I see much potential that can be achieved between our two nation and I shall look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Junichiro Koizumi
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
State of Japan

@VoodooNova

VoodooNova

Newcomer
Aug 26, 2018
The President would redirect the message to the appropriate counterpart, Minister Swaraj.

**All messages/meetings are considered private/confidential from this point forward**

Minister Junichiro Koizumi,

We are glad to hear Japan wishes to reopen official diplomatic relations with India. The old Japanese embassy is still available for use.

As for any discussions regarding Free Trade Agreements, I would like for my new Ambassador to Japan to meet with his respective counterpart to discuss the finer points of any new agreement with Japan.

Sincerely
Minister Sushima Swaraj

@Teikoku

Last edited:

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018

日本

State of Japan

'Land of the Rising Sun'

Ministry of Foriegn Affairs

The contents of this message is encrypted and strictly confidential

Sender:

Junichiro Koizumi

Recipient:

Sushima Swaraj

Dear Sushima Swaraj

I am happy to hear that you are open to negotiations. We are currently hosting multiple summits within Japan and cannot spare the necessary delegates to discuss matters with your ambassador to Japan. I must insist that this discussed within the Japanese embassy in New Delhi as our ambassador, Kenji Hiramatsu, would be more then happy to host such meetings, he will make time for such so feel free to send a delegation down to the embassy when desired.

Sincerely,

Junichiro Koizumi
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
State of Japan

VoodooNova

Newcomer
Aug 26, 2018
Minister Junichiro Koizumi,

It has been arranged for your Ambassador to meet with Ambassador Chinoy.

Sincerely
Minister Sushima Swaraj

OOC: Lets skip to the start of the meeting, shortly after Chinoy has arrived.

@Teikoku

Last edited:

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
Once the Secretary had arrived, greeting had been exchange and refreshment given out, the Japanese ambassador to India, Kenji Hiramatsu spoke.

"Now let us get straight to business", the ambassador handed Secretary Saran a draft of the Free-Trade Agreement, "We believe that this is essential for economic growth and prosperity between our two countries. This removes tariffs from Indian and Japanese goods that are destined to our respective markets, allowing greater trade and lowered costs for firms and individuals. Is this something India is interested in?"

VoodooNova

Newcomer
Aug 26, 2018
"A Free Trade Agreement would suit us well," Chinoy said knowing this was the intention. "Along with a FTA, we would like to propose furthering cultural exchanges between our nations through easing restrictions on student visas for students who seek to study or conduct internships in our respective countries."

Last edited:

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
"hmm, easing student visa restrictions you say. This is something we can agree to. We can put the student visa validity time to 1 year, after that it would have to be renewed; the student must be of 16 years to acquire a visa and must be enrolled at university or college; we can increase the number of student exchange programmes. However the student cannot have a criminal record and must pay the same fees, such a university tuition fees. We can expect the same for Indian student visas. Is this something that you desired?"

VoodooNova

Newcomer
Aug 26, 2018
"Those finer details can be worked by our counterparts at the program level, allowing us to alter as necessary for prevailing circumstances. We can return to the details of the FTA. Do you have a draft on-hand?"

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
The ambassador was rather shocked to see that the Secretary wasn't willing to negotiate a proposal she had brought the the table. As far as he is aware, Japan shouldn't put the effort into negotiating student visas if India lacked the effort and enthusiasm to do so.

"If you wish", he said, giving a slight sigh, passing over a draft copy of a basic Free-Trade Agreement. "As I say, this is a basic Free-Trade Agreement."

Section A

1. Both parties agree that tariffs upon the other signatories' goods and services are to be removed; the Republic of India removes tariffs on goods and services originating from the State of Japan; the State of Japan removes tariffs on goods and services originating from the Republic of India

2. Both parties agree to establish and put forward the necessary government organisations and processes in order to manage and maintain the Free-Trade Agreement within and out their borders.

3. Both parties agree to take responsibility of the security of trade routes between the Republic of India and the State of Japan. Utilising air, naval and ground forces if required.

Section B

1. Amendments to the agreement must be reviewed and approved by both parties, with the amended agreement drafted and signed.

2. Amended agreements shall replace pre-existing agreements at a negotiated date.

Section C[/center]

1. The agreement comes into force within 24 hours of signing the agreement.

2. The Free-Trade Agreement with last for 8 years. A new agreement must be signed to renew the Free-Trade Agreement once the previous has expired.

3. Either party can decide to terminate the agreement, providing 3 months notice and valid reasons for the termination.

The Republic of India:_____________________

The State of Japan: Kenji Hiramatsu, Japanese Ambassador to India

Last edited:

VoodooNova

Newcomer
Aug 26, 2018
"Ambassador, Section A, Paragraph 3 would be problematic the way it is written. While we defend our interests, trade routes as a whole may be battlegrounds in the future which neither of us may be involved. India does not intend on getting involved in outside conflicts for the purpose of continuing civilian shipping through war zones."

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
"You don't wish to protect the trade routes that keep India on its feet, and have enabled its vast growth onto the world stage? Anyhow, the main purpose of this clause is to protect against and combat piracy and other criminal activity, rather then a government entity. If I amend the clause to highlight protection against piracy and criminal activity, would that satisfy you?"

VoodooNova

Newcomer
Aug 26, 2018
"It's relatively implied that India would protect our merchants against piracy and other criminals in accordance with international law, as I had just stated. To suggest otherwise is insulting."

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
"There's no need to us that tone. It's all well protecting your merchants, but without a protection clause, it can cause all sorts of complex issues; if something was to happen to Japanese merchants in Indian territory or waters, for example, they would still be relying upon Japan to protect them, and I can assure you we will by all means if required. I'm afraid if we cannot 100% guarantee the protection of our merchants via legal means like this, I would have to withdraw our Free Trade Agreement."

VoodooNova

Newcomer
Aug 26, 2018
"There's no need to us that tone. It's all well protecting your merchants, but without a protection clause, it can cause all sorts of complex issues; if something was to happen to Japanese merchants in Indian territory or waters, for example, they would still be relying upon Japan to protect them, and I can assure you we will by all means if required. I'm afraid if we cannot 100% guarantee the protection of our merchants via legal means like this, I would have to withdraw our Free Trade Agreement."

If something were to happen in Indian territorial waters, or in our ports, India will handle it. Unless we have a military agreement, foreign militaries will not be operating in those spaces. I would not expect Japan to allow foreign militaries to conduct military operations on Japanese soil or in Japanese territorial waters. Instead of this back and forth, I recommend we set up an anti-piracy task force, designed to deter and fight against piracy in known hotspot locations."

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
"Exactly, we wouldn't allow foreign, non-allied militaries in Japan, which is why we wanted a clause guaranteeing the security of our peoples in one anothers' territory. But there seems to be a misunderstanding, the anti-piracy clause I proposed that should be added does put forward the combating of piracy that damages the trade routes connecting Japan and India. What you're now proposing appears to be significantly expanding on this anti-piracy idea to include a much larger region. I must inform you of the honest truth, Japan has no interest in combating piracy that doesn't affect Japan; we don't want to be combating piracy on some other countries' trade routes, just to see a significant financial loss as a result."

VoodooNova

Newcomer
Aug 26, 2018
"This task force would be utilized specifically for Indian-Japanese trade routes. We have similar feelings, Ambassador."

Teikoku

State of Japan
Jul 20, 2018
Given that what the secretary was proposing, was effectively the same counter-piracy measure initially proposed, the Ambassador just went along with it.
"Well in that case, I agree"

The Ambassador gave the secretary a new draft.

Section A

1. Both parties agree that tariffs upon the other signatories' goods and services are to be removed; the Republic of India removes tariffs on goods and services originating from the State of Japan; the State of Japan removes tariffs on goods and services originating from the Republic of India

2. Both parties agree to establish and put forward the necessary government organisations and processes in order to manage and maintain the Free-Trade Agreement within and out their borders.

3. A Japanese-Indian task force would be establishment with the role of protecting trade routes from piracy.

Section B

1. Amendments to the agreement must be reviewed and approved by both parties, with the amended agreement drafted and signed.

2. Amended agreements shall replace pre-existing agreements at a negotiated date.

Section C[/center]

1. The agreement comes into force within 24 hours of signing the agreement.

2. The Free-Trade Agreement with last for 8 years. A new agreement must be signed to renew the Free-Trade Agreement once the previous has expired.

3. Either party can decide to terminate the agreement, providing 3 months notice and valid reasons for the termination.

The Republic of India:_____________________

The State of Japan: Kenji Hiramatsu, Japanese Ambassador to India

VoodooNova

Newcomer
Aug 26, 2018
Chinoy would motion for an aide to take a draft of it, which would return with the ceremonious signature of the President.

"Ambassador, this has been a pleasure working with you. My hope is this will lead to further and improved relations."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaiser Willheim II