STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[Netherlands] European Union Talks with Germany

Dutchy

The Netherlands
GA Member
Jul 1, 2018

Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Kingdom of the Netherlands

Recipient: Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Confederation of Germany (Motziche)
Cc: -
Subject: Technical Talks following the Grand European Summit
Attachment: Draft Treaty on the European Union
Classification:
CONFIDENTIAL

Your Excellency,

I am contacting you today under the directive of Prime Minister Jaap de Hoop Scheffer to convey our intention to invite your government to the Amsterdam Summit, to be organised in the next few months, where a Treaty on the European Union can be signed by all participants. A formal invitation will be sent at a later date.

Prior to the holding of the Amsterdam Summit, we are hoping to hold discussions with all prospective participants individually in order to discuss the current draft, hear your government’s position on various policy areas, and to address and desire for amendments and changes to the current draft.

I am aware that Germany was not in attendance during the Grand European Summit in Olso, however we believe that Germany would make a good partner in European cooperation and we are interested in involving your government in further talks. Attached to this message is the latest draft of the Treaty. I kindly request that you review this version and convey your position on the draft (whether that be in full agreement, or in the case that you have any changes to submit).

Additionally, I would kindly request that you answer the following questions in order to know your positions on some of the most critical provisions of the draft.

1. Do you agree with the current structure of the Union, that it will consist of:
a. European Council (consisting of Heads of State or Government);​

b. Council of the European Union (consisting of cabinet-level officials and lower level civil servants);

c. European Commission (which will support the President of the European Council in day-to-day administrative tasks), and;

d. European Court of Justice (to ensure the enforcement of European Law).

2. Do you agree with the election procedure for the President of the European Council?​
a. Additionally, do you agree with the term-length and maximum number of terms for the President?​

4. Do you agree with the rotating presidency of the Council of the European Union?​

5. Do you agree with the provisions regarding European Law?

6. Do you agree with the legislative provisions regarding European Law?

7. Do you agree with the accession and withdrawal provisions?

Yours Sincerely,

Atzo Nicolaï
Secretary of State for European Affairs

Motziche

Newcomer
Mar 27, 2023

German Confederation

This correspondence is encrypted and highly sensitive

Dear Secretary Nicolaï Dutchy ,

It is of great pleasure to receive your correspondence and invitation for our nation to participate in this great European project.
Our government is a strong advocate of pan-European cooperation and supportive of multinational initiatives to achieve such.

Given the significance of the Treaty of the European Union on domestic and international climates, the draft proposal has been further disseminated to the 20 State Governments within Germany in order to survey support and objections. Fortunately, at this early stage, there appears to be a consensus between our Central Government and State Governments. Our position is as follows:

We are pleased to support the general provisions within the draft. That said, we are unwilling to support the draft in its entirety in its current format. We understand that the upcoming Summit in Amsterdam is the place to discuss this, however we wish to make our position clear going forward.
Our objection primarily surrounds the issue of domestic legislation conflicting with European legislation. In the draft, this specifically relates to: TITLE V, Article 10, 3.A & 4.A, legislation requiring a two-thirds majority. We are concerned that the implementation of European legislation may contradict and conflict with already existing legislation within the European Union's member states, consequently exposing said member state to European sanctions.
To prevent this, we wish to add an amendment to TITLE V, Article 10, 3 & 4. This would be in words to the effect of: ' In the event where the proposed bill contradicts existing legislation of a member state, the proposal must be approved unanimously by present Member States. '
I'm sure you can understand our concerns and would greatly appreciate it if you could add this subject to the summit's agenda of discussions.

To answer your questions:
  1. We agree with the current structure of the Union.
  2. We agree with the election procedure for the President of the European Council.
  3. We agree with the rotating presidency of the Council of the European Union.
  4. We do not agree with the provisions regarding European Law. (See above).
  5. We do not agree with the legislative provisions regarding European Law. (See above).
  6. We agree with the accession and withdrawal provisions

We look forward to working together to build a better Europe.

Yours Sincerely,

Joschka Fischer

Minister of Foreign Affairs
German Confederation

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
Federal Republic of Germany

To
the Government of the Kingdom of Netherlands

Draft Treaty on the European Union

Your Excellency,

We, the civil servants of the German Foreign Ministry, in-spite of the German Government's recent decisions to distance itself from European cooperation, to relegate its responsibility to European liberty, to denigrate its civil service, and to avoid its responsibility as an international actor write to you to provide our endorsement of the Draft Treaty.

As civil servants, our allegiance as servants of Germany entrusts us with the duty to act in her interests, to act as her warden, her guardian, and her guiding light. Notwithstanding successive German Governments have ill-understood the necessity of the formation of a cohesive economic, social, and political bloc despite its risks, challenges, and costs.

While our successive governments have found it ill-fitting to take a leadership role within this growing dialogue, we welcome, appreciate, and cherish your government's endeavors. As agents of the nation, we are pleased to see Dutch and Norwegian leadership in this field.​

Signed,
102 German Diplomats

---
OOC: The following letter would be hand delivered by a German diplomat in The Hague to the Dutch Foreign Ministry.
Dutchy

Dutchy

The Netherlands
GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
Marie van Rossem, was a junior receptionist at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, having only been on the job for 12 months. Though, in that time she had already established herself a daily routine which she walked through with a sense of confident familiarity. However, the ordinary rhythm of her day took an unexpected turn when a letter suddenly materialized in front of her on the reception desk. Before she had a chance to look up and ask a question the messenger had swiftly departed. Intrigued, she studied the envelope, perplexed by the absence of a clear addressee. Her brow furrowed in bewilderment, uncertain of the intended recipient or which department within the ministry should claim ownership of this message.

Aware of the protocol that dictated the handling of official correspondence—typically entrusted to more senior members of the team—Marie hesitated before succumbing to the allure of the enigmatic letter. Yielding to curiosity, she breached the seal and extracted the folded sheet of paper nestled within the envelope. Her eyes danced across the concise message inscribed on the paper. Despite reading its contents, clarity eluded her regarding the intended recipient. A feeling of unease crept in; she recognized the potential repercussions of meddling with such a document. Her fingers delicately traced the edges of the opened letter as she weighed her options, contemplating the consequences of her actions.

During the lunch break, Marie quietly vacated her workstation, heading purposefully toward the bustling cafeteria. After grabbing herself a meal, she surveyed the room, seeking out the sole individual she could confide in without hesitation. During her first year at the Ministry, she had forged a bond with a handsome young man stationed within the Directorate General for European Affairs. This young man was Roy Dirks, albeit a junior policy advisor, he had swiftly gained prominence within the ministry, leaving an indelible mark through his involvement in the discussions pertaining to both the Oslo and subsequently failed Amsterdam Summits. Intuitively sensing that the contents of the perplexing letter might resonate with his expertise, she resolved to seek his counsel on the matter.

Amidst their lunchtime conversation, Marie worked up the courage to confide in Roy about her actions and gingerly passed the mysterious letter into his possession. With a gracious nod, Roy accepted the letter and perused its contents, finding himself equally taken aback by its contents. Yet, his surprise stemmed more from the unofficial nature of the correspondence; he recognized the precariousness of such communication without the sanction of the German government, fully aware of the potential jeopardy it posed to the German diplomats and himself. Eager to glean more insights, he attempted to probe Marie for details regarding the mysterious messenger, only to find her as clueless as he was about the sender's identity or motives.

Roy deliberated upon the predicament, keenly aware of the political fervour surrounding the impending elections. Realizing the futility of immediately escalating the matter to his superiors without comprehending the underlying motive behind the letter, he resolved that there was only one viable course of action left to pursue. He concluded that his sole recourse lay in tracking down the individual responsible for the delivery—a decision made with a measured understanding that clarity about the sender's purpose was paramount before involving higher authorities.

------

The following day, Roy dedicated his office hours to an exhaustive exploration of the files pertaining to the German diplomatic corps stationed at The Hague's embassy. He methodically sifting through names, roles, and any available visual references and committed these details to memory.

The next day, he feigned illness to secure the necessary time off from work, allowing his approach to the German embassy during official hours. Before employing a direct strategy, Roy's plan encompassed engaging with embassy personnel discreetly, away from the confines of the embassy premises, in an off-the-record conversation. Seated upon a bench near the hofvijver, strategically positioned across from the German embassy, he maintained a vigilant gaze, meticulously scanning the outgoing individuals, hoping to match faces from the meticulously studied files with those departing the embassy. His intent was to identify potential contacts or familiar figures who could shed light on the puzzling correspondence.

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
Away from the shining red lights of Amsterdam that drew in the attention of visitor, the German Embassy tucked away in the city of The Hague glistened as the summer lights showered the city. The facade, adorned with the national flag rocked as the breeze flew throughout the city. As the clock struck noon, a distinguished figure emerged from the embassy's grand entrance. Emmaline Jansen, a newly appointed German diplomat to the Dutch nation, donned a tailored charcoal-gray suit that accentuated her matching gray skirt.

Jansen stepped onto the sidewalk, greeted by the city's midday bustle. As she left the embassy it would be hard for Roy to miss her, his eyes glued to her file when he had sifted through the available records on German diplomats posted to the Hague.

The sun bathed the streets in a warm glow, casting a favorable light on the architectural marvels surrounding the embassy. Her black heels clicked rhythmically on the pavement as she made his way to a quaint Dutch Carmel waffle place nearby—a hidden gem tucked amidst the urban sophistication.

Upon reaching the waffle place, a charming establishment with an aroma that wafted through the air, Jansen took her seat at her usual spot. Seated by the window, Dr. Müller immersed herself with the city atmosphere, a temporary respite from the continual bickering that has now begun to plague the German diplomatic corp.

The sunlight struck her porcelain face as it lightened her blond hair and widened her hazelnut eyes. When her order came, a small plate of Dutch waffles along with an espresso she began to munch other afternoon snack.

Dutchy

Dutchy

The Netherlands
GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
Roy remained seated as he continued to examine the faces entering and exiting the German Embassy. Eventually, a face would emerge that he recognised fro the files he had examine the previous day. He rose from his seat and straightened his coat as he waited to follow this German diplomat to wherever she was going, in the hope that he may be able to find a moment to interrupt her.

Eventually the would end up outside a waffle store and Roy would wait outside as he worked up the courage to enter and approach her. Upon entering the establishment he had to gaze around the room before his eyes once more caught the face he was looking for. He took a deep breath before making his way over to the table where Dr Müller had seated herself.

He would clear his throat in an attempt to gain her attention. "Dr Müller is it? My name is Roy Dirks from the Directorate General for European Affairs. Would you mind if I join you for a moment there is something I was hoping to discuss." He would wait for permission before he placed himself in the seat across from her.

He was unsure whether she had any involvement in the letter, so Roy was unsure how to approach the subject. He decided to do what the Dutch were best at and take the direct approach, "Dr Müller, would you perhaps know anything about a peculiar letter that was delivered to the Ministry two days ago?"

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
Jansen bit the inside of her tongue as she listened. Wondering who Roy was as he introduced himself. "Please, that seat is as much as your as mine." She said with a smile. "Also, Dr. Müller is my boss." She said as she put a finger on her lips as to indicate it as a secret. "She doesn't like us sneaking out of the Embassy at this hour."

"We send many letters out unfortunately. If you would like, I do like to stroll by the Canal this time of day. Perhaps you can tell me more about this letter outside?" She said inviting him to join her for a stroll.

Dutchy

Dutchy

The Netherlands
GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
Roy would blush slightly at his mistake, "I can assure you I won't tell them," he said with a chuckle. "I apologise, I must have mismatched faces, Ms...." he would say trying to figure out who he was talking to.

Roy was taken slightly aback at the suggestion to so promtly leave the waffle place for a walk, however, it was in his interest to not be static and perhaps seen by his colleagues. "Certainly," he would say as he rose from his chair and let her walk out of the establishment in front of him.

Once they were outside Roy would steer the conversation again, "the letter we received didn't particularly seem like an official communication from your government, rather it seemed more of an open letter. I was just hoping to perhaps gain a better understanding as to the reasoning behind the letter. With the elections coming up here in the Netherlands, there isn't a lot of political will to take up foreign concerns at this exact moment. So have you perhaps come across any talk about such an open letter?"

Jay

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"Jansen...Emmaline Jansen." She said with a smile. The two walked away from the waffle shop and towards the beautiful canals of The Hague. "That letter. Yes. Just as a precaution...can I see your credentials from the Ministry?" Emmaline said concerned that Roy may be a member of the Dutch security services, or worse, a German spy. Once she had seen his badge she then would open up.

"Yes. Well I think you've seen the news in Europe amidst the failure of the Amsterdam summit to be the breakthrough that we had all hoped for. In large, it is the belief of the Civil Service, because Europe's major powers are not interested in such a project that the proposals at Amsterdam fizzled out.

Successive German Governments even before the current administration have neglected their role in pushing European integration. Most recently the Chancellor is pushing to abandon European integration fully in response to France's imperialist ambition and is instead hoping to contain it through a new North-East approach to European integration.

I can say that before France imposing sanctions and attempting to overthrow our government that there was some political will for taking a center role in European integration alongside France. However." She said looking over her shoulder to make sure no preying ears were listening. "The Chancellor has since abandoned the thought completely. Not to mention that more nationalist are taking prominence in her cabinet at the expense of moderates due to pressures within the Bundestag.

What we were really hoping to get a cross in our message was that we appreciate the work you are doing to push European integration. With elections looming in the Netherlands it is ever more crucial that as civil servants we work to guide our governments beyond their petty nativist views and to embrace a collective responsibility. We are trying our best in Germany...and to be frank. Whatever reasoning we could use has now gone out the window after France's actions...but I hope that we can regain some footing and work to convince the Federal Government to put European cooperation and integration on the table." She paused before continuing on. "Sorry...did I ramble too much?"

Dutchy

Dutchy

The Netherlands
GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
When prompted Roy would produce his Rijkspas, the government's employee identification card. As they strolled through the city he would listen to her speak, visible sadness would cross his face at the mention of the failure of the Amsterdam Summit, a project he had poured his heart and soul into within his department. He continued to listen to her as she continued explaining the purpose of the letter.

Once she had finished Roy responded, "Not at all, that certainly clears up the matter of the letter. However, I do have to say it never reached the desk of the Minister. As I mentioned, with the elections it would not have landed well to have such a letter delivered, something which could have been twisted by some to argue for German interference in the elections.

I have to admit that I worked on the Amsterdam Summit, as part of the Directorate General for European Affairs. It's failure continues to weigh heavy on my shoulders. But you are right, it was eventually the lack of political will, both abroad and at home which resulted in its failure.

So the German government no longer wishes to pursue European wide integration? What do you mean with this North-East approach?

I will certainly do my best to support the new Dutch government should they prioritise the pursueing of European integration. I don't know if you've seen, but Daelman has already pledged to take a second attempt at the Amsterdam Summit. Hope remains, but this dispute between France and Germany certainly makes things more challenging."

Jay