STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[Sweden]: Call to Russia

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
50px-Coat_of_arms_of_Sweden.svg.png

Government of Sweden
Löfven Administration

Security Classification: TOP SECRET
Document Classification and Security Act 1995​

A telephone call is made to the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs from Isabella Lövin, Deputy Secretary of Foreign Affairs.
This telephone call is made in line with the Swedish Document Classification and Security Act 1995, which also covers telephonic communication, causing a 'TOP SECRET' encryption level to be appended.

HeadlessSeeker

Crown Copyright © Kingdom of Sweden
All information is subject to the Swedish Document Classification and Security Act 1995

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
Private/Classified/Encrypted
Secured by SIN System 1995

The Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs would receive a call after having it transferred to him from the front desk. He would put his current emails and calls on hold to receive this one. Clearing his throat he would speak."Hello? This is Andrey Kozyrev. Minister of Foreign affairs. How can I help you?"

Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"Minister, my name is Isabella Lövin, Deputy Secretary of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Sweden - I believe now, better than ever, is a good time for us to formally begin open discussion and end this blanket of mystery in our diplomatic relationship. I'm sure you're under no illusion that this call comes purely out of good faith... I am reliably informed that your Ambassador to the Global Assembly made a statement earlier which has the Department of Defence over here on a knife edge."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018

"Your information is correct in regards to that. However, he was far too vague. Rest assured, there will be no war fought over empty uninhabited land. That would be pure madness no? However, you are right. It is time we bring an end to this mystery between us. Russia has no real desire to make any claims in antarctic, however we wish to have the right to send researchers and expeditions into the antarctic. Without military involvement of course. We believe the antarctic should be a military free zone. It is hostile enough to human life down there without weapons is it not? The antarctic is large enough that nations interested can clearly share it. When Sweden originally claimed antarctic and it went public the Russian Federation was silent on this issue. This was because we believed it was non of our business, and that it would be handled in the GA and that parties interested would contest the claim. From our perspective, it was a power play unlike any we had seen. So, that is why we have been admittedly late to this discussion. In addition to that, I think it is rather apparent we are attempting to make a partnership with Argentina.

Our military has had an obsession with Sweden as of late as well, which was made apparent to you no doubt when you spotted our aircraft skirting the edge of your territory. You see, with the United States no longer the power it used to be we are incredibly curious an cautious. Specifically towards Sweden and your former partner Norway? Our Military believes Sweden to be the only power in the region to be able to contest us. Which by all accounts is true. However, we have not known what to do with that knowledge. Treat you as a rival? A safe bet for ages past. But, clearly the world is changing. It is certainly what the military would want without a doubt.

With all of this said, the words spoken at the GA have brought us to this moment in which we decide how to move forward. We are willing to retract our ultimatum, end the mystery between us, and work towards a positive relationship. To extend the olive branch as one would say. But, I am interested to hear the Swedish perspective on the situation. No doubt you have found our reactions to be strange or erratic?"

Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"Well that's certainly reassuring and that'll satisfy the General's in the Swedish Armed Forces Headquarters who were eager to ready our rapid reaction forces for a full scale attack on Sweden" she chuckles, partly in jest before continuing "That would be pure madness. I want to change our relationship for the better however Antarctica has been a consistent dagger in the artery or pumping diplomacy and quiet honestly I am tired of the constant flow of undeniable lies coming from Argentina which has lead to so many being against Sweden purely out of mis-information.

In 1995 Sweden moved in to occupy an uninhabited territory following extensive intelligence gathering opportunities to scope whether there was any global interest whatsoever and there was not, prompting a multi-billion dollar investment in the preservation and development of Antarctica to entire that generations to come get to experience the continent just as we have had the fortune of doing. There was no interest globally and we went two years without opposition. Argentina arrived, with a mass military force, despite having no foreign diplomacy with my nation whatsoever and forced us out of territory we have laid sovereign claim over; making use of the media and their alliances to falsify information under the lie that we intended to restrict international research. They murdered over one hundred service personnel, invaded our diplomatic mission, took civilians into custody without any form of legal aid, rights or even informing my government of their location - a clear and undeniable breach of their human rights.

Antarctica was never a secret. Antarctica was never a powerplay. We were in talks with Great Britain, Spain, Australia, Brazil and Portugal to discuss research in a controlled manner prior to the invasion of Argentina. What do we have to be proud of for our work? A frigate of dead servicemen and women at the bottom of a freezing ocean, hundreds upon hundreds of family members distraught that their loved ones lay to rest on the opposite side of the globe and a public relations nightmare as Argentina continued to lie to their friends, allies and the media to bring a shroud of injustice over my government.

Our plan with Antarctica has changed, not by our own choice but by that of force. We intend to dissect the continent into historical territorial claims and Sweden will retain sovereign claim over the territories not represented in the Global Assembly or not claimed whatsoever - we are open and willing to negotiate the position of Russia on the continent but if it is just research you seek then you are more than welcome to do that within a Swedish claim if you do not want your own."

The Secretary pauses before continuing after the vomit of opinion regarding Antarctica.
"I assure you that Sweden has absolutely no intention to rival your international status and nor do we have any intention to threaten your national security; but as you can probably understand we cannot sit by and allow your representatives to made idle threats in an international forum like the Global Assembly. Your reactions were absolutely strange and erratic, I am confused as to where they came from?"

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018

"I see. I see. Hmm, while we cannot risk our interests in South America we can in fact retract our statement, and involvement in the current situation. No doubt Argentina got involved through proximity, but it seems like this situation has spiraled out of control right from under our own noses here in Russia. The fact that anyone died there under such circumstances is a tragedy. This goes against our position on the use of Antartica entirely. Rest assured, our Representative in the GA will make a retractment on their statement. To me it seems that there has indeed been a lot of information and misinformation going around as you said.

As said, we ave no interests down there. Other then being able to set up a research station. If nations are allowed to set up research stations, and to use the continent for the betterment and enrichment of mankind then we have no qualms with Sweden on this matter. I believe what has occurred was a case of Confirmation bias. Our military did not trust Sweden, and this obviously poisoned the well on what information someone like our rep would believe.

That being said, as we want to have a partnership with Argentina we feel the need to now diplomatically settle this between your two nations. Clearly, no one should of died down there. But, we doubt Argentina will ever agree to compensation or an apology. We cannot try and force one without losing what ground we have gained. Recently we were only able to get Argentina to apologize to Ukraine by offering them five billion in USD. Their government responds to money. If you would allow us to intervene in this segment we can perhaps work something out with this method for at the very least reparations. This will not bring those who were lost back."

"The situation with our military's suspicion towards Sweden, and the bias that has leaked all the way to our representative comes from three things. The power vacuum left by the United States following their failure to contain Iraq, Sweden being considered a regional power in our neighborhood, and the 1995 Incident which has had our Ministry of Defence and Department of Foreign Affairs on edge and on the look out for possible outside threats. Given the fact that Sweden has only ever acted defensively when our military has probed at you, it is safe to say your assertion is honest. The theory was that with the power vacuum the USA has left that nations would scramble to fill it. That theory our military had has seemingly proven incorrect. No other nations has tried to military intervene with our nation since 1995, and it seems that such an incident will not occur again."

"With that all said, we would prefer to have more friends in Europe then enemies. This isn't the cold war anymore afterall."

Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
“I appreciate your willingness to discuss this matter with us in a civilised and dignified manner, Minister. I have to be honest in saying that I feared the rumours about Russia were true. I note that you and Argentina have a very close relationship and i know better than anyone that keeping your options open is a safe card to play however i have to say, Minister, people gossip and the general consensus is that Russia sits under the thumb of the Argentine government. You are a close neighbour of ours and we have absolutely no intention of filling this ‘void’ in political power, but if your intention is to fill it... well... I would frankly have concerns that the interests of South America at sway that of Russia rather than the other way around. Destabilisation in the Arctic is the last thing either of us need given the mess in the Antarctic.

We occupied Antarctica two years ago with no opposition - our intention was never to keep it for ourselves but to provide some form of governance to an otherwise lawless continent. Greed was never at any stage of our thought process, how do you expect a Scandinavian nation of a few million to conquer an entire continent on our own? Argentina have manipulated the scorecard. I have to ask you, Minister, off the record, what is your standpoint on the Swedish claims in Antarctica... friends aside.

Compensation and an apology will not bring peace to the hundreds of family members that sleep every night knowing their loved one not only died in a horrifying, slow and agononising death but that they also lay frozen at the bottom of one of the deepest oceans in the world. There is no recovery to such a senseless, lawless act and their use of their distanced stance from the Global Assembly as some sort of excuse for their behaviour is disgusting. Whilst I appreciate your foreign policy and your interests in South America, I do fear that your involvement with Argentina, a nation that has already shown willingness to bow to financial and political gain, will only allow them to grow stronger. Eventually you may find yourself overcome by your own ally.

With that said, I would appreciate any opportunity you have to... calm the hounds... Argentina is a threat to not only our national security but stabilisation on your borderline.

Your actions to test and demonstrate power to my government has given us the opportunity to show our strength in defence too. We operate some of the most advanced technology in the world which we have, up to now, used purely in the defence of our homeland. I hope you and your military have realised that we are no easy target, nor are we easy to aggravate - your actions have remained lawful and that’s something we respect.

Minister, what exactly do you propose to resolve the situation between Sweden and Argentina and where exactly do you see our own relationship going?”

@Headless

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018

"My opinion on the matter? I am of the opinion that we should step out of this situation entirely. Our only interest in the arctic is for research stations and expeditions. The Argentinians can stand on their own for their own interests. Should Sweden be honest in their assertions as to what you want to do with the Arctic, then we ave no qualms.

Back to the record, Russia does not believe Argentina needs our help in this situation at this point. However, we will not go against an ally. Hence, we will have to adopt a position of silence or at the very least quiet. Publicly that is. Though, I would be careful not to make so many assertions in regards to the relationships we hold. You and I both know the truth of the matter. So, no games. Understand?

Good.

Now then, for calming the hounds. As a first step, I think a compromise must be agreed on yes? I have heard that Sweden will respect territorial claims yes? Can we agree that Argentina get's it's territorial claim? The British and Argentinians can argue who actually owns that piece of land all they want. If we can agree on that, we can work backwards towards that. Of course, nothing will bring those people back, I understand that. But I fear this will only end terribly if a compromise or agreement is not reached. What does Sweden want in return for this? We can communicate this with Argentina, and pressure them into accepting your demands. Diplomatically speaking... they are in a weak position to be very honest.

Should Russia fail to affect a resolution to this situation, then we will simply back off and watch.

Now, as to where we see our relationship with Sweden going? I believe there is room for a warming of relations. Possibly friendship. I do not believe that here in Europe we have any conflicting interests?

Our interests in Eastern Europe are to keep the region stable, and to make it prosperous. That in Yeltsin's policy at this time. What this involves is investments in neighboring countries, and possible intervention should the need arrive. The need being if we feel our national security is at risk, or if two nations within our sphere of influence commit to war with one another.

At the same time, we wish to build bridges to the west and make good on the promises made with the fall of the Soviet Union."

Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"Does this mean we can anticipate that if the Russian representative to the Global Assembly were to return to the chamber we should expect to see an abstention in a vote? or are you suggesting there will be no further Russian representative at all?

I'm not sure what you are referring to in all honesty, Minister? The understanding in the general international community is that Russia very much sits in Argentina's pocket, if I were to speak openly and frankly... it had appeared in my governments eyes that you currently hold very little stature of your own when it comes to being publicly against Argentina's actions, even when you agree that their actions were barbaric and nothing short of illegal. A fear of speaking out in the pursuit of an alliance does not scream strength to me, Minister, it screams intimidation. The development of RusAr amongst your joint endeavours politically would ordinarily appear communicative, even developmental and instrumental in the development of both of your economies but externally it appears Argentina is trampling over the Russian reputation as an international powerhouse.

In the eyes of the Global Assembly the continent of Antarctica is legally Swedish - however we recognise that this appears unfair and yes, we are willing to return all historic claims of nations currently represented in the Global Assembly whom have expressed interest in the region. We have no intention to sign any other agreement that deviates from the distribution of land; those negotiations should come later when the dust has settled. I can catagorically tell you that Argentina will have their territory returned to them, if they want to resolve this outside of the Global Assembly then I would be willing to do so but this would require their confirmation that they will not pursue further land claims in the region and allow us to make the appropriate bilateral agreements with other historic nations for the return of their claim without interruption or interpretation.

Our interests in Europe are almost identical, Minister. Sweden has the strongest economy in the world and has done since 1995. I am curious as to how a friendship could ever be possible when your strongest ally remains in a state-of-war with our nation and consistently proactively targets and violates our national security.

We would love to see a prosperous cooperation with an independent Russia."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"Ah yes the myth of 'Argentinian dominance'.... The Idea of a South American nation having any sway in Russian politics is absurd. Your insistence that anyone actually believes such a notion is noted, and I am afraid it is not favorable towards you or our future relationship. I suggest that you quit while you are ahead in that regard. It is rather obvious that while you are apparently trying to make this call out of good faith, there is something else going on. I have been informed that you are trying to undermine our alliances and sphere of influence. I think we are both aware of where you made a mistep there? Don't play coy and ask who, because firstly I wont tell you, and secondly you already know. So, it is best you stop this avenue. So for the sake of us actually being constructive lets move on.

Now then, I have been informed that Argentina are in fact in favor of such an agreement in which they retain historical claims. They however seem entirely unwilling to concede on the other points we have presented. We will not be pursuing this avenue. Instead, what will happen is that at the GA Russia will commit to abstention. It is rather clear that this matter does not involve Russia, and afterall Argentina can handle themselves. So, I think we are done discussing this Antartica matter.

Did Argentina declare war on you? I have heard no such thing. Now then, how this would work is the fact that we dont actually have to be with Argentina on every matter. If you would stop insisting the same old trash over and over again you would recognize the fact that this meeting would never have happened if it was true. That we would be declaring Antartica for Argentina. Of all things. You do realize how stupid that sounds right? Argentina? You are really going with that? Your big plan is to make us give up our goals in South America, by trying to convince us they have puppeted us? You do realize how silly that all sounds? Be more realistic here. RusAR has made us a whole lot of money.

If you were to give up this line of thinking... or frankly obvious attempt to manipulate us then what I can say is this, that Russia IS a independent nation and that we can pursue friendship. As the strongest nation in the world, being our friends has many benefits dont you think?"

Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"Myth... yes... well, I think you have completely misunderstood the fundamentals of politics where I sought to see the strength of your relationship with Argentina. You see, if I had any fear or reluctance for a relationship between Russia and Argentina to exist then I would've taken more action in the early development of your alliance rather than striking at a time when you're closer-knit than ever. There is no doubt Russia is an intelligent state and I have no doubt that your interests in South America outweigh that of your alliance with Argentina, I'm not new to the game.

I would very much like for you to propose to Argentina that an agreement between the two of us is made for the distribution of land and to temporarily drop the other arrangements pending the dust settling. They won't accept our call but they may listen to yours.

Argentina declared war following their barbaric attempt to take Antarctica following the murder of our personnel and imprisonment of diplomatic staff, they have shown without doubt that there is no doubt diplomacy is non-existent in their state. If what you're saying is true, and you're willing to overlook the opinions of your allies in pursuit of a neighbourly bond then by all means; my door is always open. But please don't mistake this phonecall as my attempt to lick your ass because, whilst other nations may see you as a Rottweiler willing to fight their battles, Sweden doesn't need a guard dog. Our relationship would be for our mutual benefit"

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"I think we can make an arrangement to make such a proposal. As we find that it would be more agreeable if they accept such a deal. We have a meeting with them in Moscow very soon, and we will be making attempts to sway them to this position. We do not wish to see anymore bloodshed down in antartica.

I am very glad to hear that, as that is the type of relationship we actually want. We believe that such a relationship is what we want to pursue. So with all this in mind, I think that we should establish an embassy so we can keep a line of communication open."

Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"Excellent, I will await the conclusion of your meeting in Moscow... My understanding is that we already have diplomatic missions in place?"

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"We have not spoken since before 1995, so it is important that we ensure that the Swedish Embassy is established in importance. Could you send a team to survey the building. As we diplomatically recognize the building as yours we will not intrude on it to ensure everything is in order. Be sure to review the status of employees and diplomats there as we have discovered in many nations that embassies have gone disused."

Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"Absolutely. I will pass the message to the Bureau of European Affairs to send the necessary information forward to you as soon as possible. If there is nothing else you wish to discuss immediately, I will leave you to your busy work, can I expect to hear an update from you in regards to what we have discussed imminently? As you can understand we are under immense pressure from the Global Assembly to have this matter resolved as peacefully and efficiently as possible."

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"You can expect an update soon enough. It was enlightening on this whole matter talking with you. As for anything else, we have nothing else at this moment to discuss. Look forward to speaking to you in the future. Also, have a nice day."

The call would end
Connor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jvasa