STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[Sweden]: TASA Emergency Conference

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
50px-Coat_of_arms_of_Sweden.svg.png

Government of Sweden
Löfven Administration

Dear Clay Moon and Matthew Cooper,

This is an urgent communication relating to Operation Boron, a Swedish intelligence gathering operation.

In brief, Operation Boron has been our governing operation for intelligence gathering operations in Central Africa. This operation has included the deployment of Swedish Armed Forces assets to strategically deploy from a covert temporary operating position, to date we have a number of successful campaigns including a prior deployment to the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Following the development of conflict within this region and the established credible destruction of allied diplomatic missions we had recently deployed to gather intelligence along the Congo River as well as in the twin cities of Brazzaville and Kinshasa. This deployment included the use of the highly sensitive aerial asset the Lockheed U-2 spy plane of which we are mutually signatories of a Disclosure Agreement with private corporation Sparrow Industries.

In the past few hours we lost all radio contact with the spy plane operating under callsign 'TYSON-ONE' within Congolese airspace. Our central command received radio confirmation that the mission were likely compromised with onboard sensors detecting what appeared to be radar emissions and later a confirmation they had been missile locked by anti-aircraft artillery. A short time later we had audible confirmation of active combat before the callsign fell radio silent. We are working on the hypothesis that this aircraft has been downed - this has generated the highest possible level of alert.

Needless to say this is a significant matter of national security. The Department of Defence has instructed me to invite you to an emergency video conference to discuss this situation and appropriate response, it will be chaired by Secretary of Defence Peter Hultqvist. You should be aware that the Prime Minister has been informed and is monitoring the situation closely.

Regards,
Sofie Lindgren
Ambassador for Sweden to the Transatlantic Security Arrangement
Department of Foreign Affairs
Kingdom of Sweden

Odinson Jamie

TOP SECRET
Crown Copyright © Kingdom of Sweden
All information is subject to the Swedish Document Classification and Security Act 1995

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
Following the emergency correspondence distribution the Department of Defence would generate an emergency meeting for the conference, among the attendees would include Secretary of Defence Peter Hultqvist, Under Secretary of Defence for the Air Force Stefan Nordström, Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces Micael Bydén, Chief of Army Major General Karl Engelbrektson, Chief of Navy Rear Admiral Ewa Skoog Haslum and Chief of Air Force Major General Jonas Wikman. The call is heavily encrypted and all persons in Stockholm would conduct the meeting within a soundproof conference room.

The members would await the arrival of the American and British delegations.

Jamie

Admin
GA Member
World Power
Jan 6, 2018

GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED KINGDOM
Security Classification:
TOP SECRET

Receiving the summoning of the TASA Ambassadors, British Representative Matthew Cooper instructed his aides to re-schedule his appointments in favour of the video call. Returning to his private office with a glass of water, opening his top draw to the sight of two bottles of vodka. "Probably need you both after this call" he murmured to himself before taking the notebook and pen from within, shutting the drawer. He lifted up his laptop screen and logging into the video conference, waiting for it to begin.

Connor Odinson

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
SECRET

Ambassador Clay Moon was just about to head out for lunch until he received the message from the Swedish. He had his secretary order Chinese food and connected to the call through a secure channel. He was wearing a suit and tie, and was drinking a glass of water. Behind him were the flags of the United States and TASA. He had some documents at his desk that he was reviewing, including the planned repositioning of a carrier strike group to the Pacific. Now it looked like a carrier may need to be sent back to the southern hemisphere. He joined the call and cleared his throat.

"Good afternoon, gentlemen. Ambassador Lindgren, what new information do you have for us? How can we help, and what is the current Swedish plans for a response?" Ambassador Moon asked.

Jamie Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"Ambassadors Moon and Cooper, thank you for joining us for this meeting, it's difficult to explain how significant the recent events are significant in our collective relationship. I must stress before we begin that at present we are simply working on a hypothesis that the aircraft has been downed, we have no official confirmation at present and I am awaiting further information from our command centre in Africa to verify our suspicions, all I can say for certain is that the pilot is not operating within standard protocol at present and we are unable to contact him. The Lockheed U-2 is an aircraft that none of us acknowledge existence of and the loss of this airframe potentially compromises our stance within the Disclosure Agreement. On this basis we need to establish an appropriate agreed public response which will equally manage the media fallout alongside an appropriate retaliation or reaction. I must stress that this meeting does not suggest Sweden is invoking any part of our agreement, we simply believe it is most appropriate for us to work together on this matter."

The Secretary of Defence interjects before the Ambassador could speak, addressing the conference table and those on the video conference whilst he speaks, be pauses briefly before continuing.

"This incident is a matter of national security that effects all of us."

As he finishes speaking an aide is seen on video coming in and handing over a piece of paper on-which it details the recent tweet from Congo Ledger confirming the downing of the aircraft.

Odinson Jamie

Jamie

Admin
GA Member
World Power
Jan 6, 2018
A few moments of silence passed in the conference before Matthew cleared his throat at the unfortunate news before speaking.

"Do you know the status of the Lockheed U-2 in terms of its structural integrity? Given the likely altitude, I can't imagine they'll be much for the DRC to recover but it's a question worth asking. Providing none of us publicly acknowledge the existence or presence of the U-2 then I don't expect much fallout otherwise.

Social Media is obviously going crazy with speculation but I suppose that can work in all our favors; plenty of different stories to emphasize on instead. Perhaps we don't need to agree to a common story and just let the world of speculation take over. What options is Sweden considering as retaliation if I may ask?"

Connor Odinson

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
"I am also curious what Sweden's plan of retaliation, if any, is, or if your government is just going to cut its losses? If the aircraft was flying at such a high altitude, I find it unlikely that there will be anything more than shattered pieces of it over the jungle, though if certain components of it are found it could still probably be identified as a U-2. At this time, the United States does not have any assets in the South Atlantic. We will have a carrier strike group passing through to go to the Pacific in the coming days, but that's it," Ambassador Moon said as he looked at the portion of the screen which showed the Swedish representatives.

Jamie Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"At present my understanding is that the Department of Transportation have instructed the Swedish Accident Investigation Authority to conduct an investigation. This is normal procedure, even for incidents of a military nature and is required under Swedish law. At the moment this is being conducted under the guise that information has received form 'third-party sources' namely social media which, as you say, seems to be developing its own narrative.

I can tell you that our last radio contact with the aircraft confirmed it to be at 70,000ft and initially on a north-easterly course. A scram order was issued instructing the aircraft to return back in the general direction of the temporary operating position. Our assessment of the onboard data pulled prior to the crash suggests that the aircraft was in the general vicinity of Maya Maya International Airport which would suggest that the crash site is in one of three places - densely populated and already war damaged Brazzaville - neighbouring dense forestry, overgrowth and water bodies - or open field. I must stress that the first two possibilities are the most likely, coupled with the altitude and speed of the aircraft, any investigation or wreckage identification will be extremely difficult. As you say, the airframe itself will be in catastrophically bad shape.

I am inclined to agree with Ambassador Cooper - providing we remain collectively on the strand of deniability into even the existence of the Lockheed U-2, is it will be difficult for this aircraft to be identified as being of Swedish origin.

At the moment any overt retaliation will make it phenomenally obvious that an intelligence operation was being conducted. I have discussed briefly with the Major General Engelbrektson whether there is a possibility of delivering a covert Special Forces operation in the area which will, at the very minimum, allow us to see 'ground zero' to gauge what exactly the risks to our national security looks like."

Jamie Odinson

Jamie

Admin
GA Member
World Power
Jan 6, 2018
"Time will tell, I figure. Unfortunately it's a life lost and a situation that could escalate in unwanted ways so I'd suggest we err on the side of caution. My governments position isn't in favor of much activity within Africa. Even allowing the use of Ascension Island remains a controversy within the Conservative Party but there's no physical support I could offer if you were looking to deploy Special Forces, definitely not officially ... Africa just isn't in the area of interest, as it understandably is for Sweden due to South Africa. Not unless it tied into TASAs defence clause.

I think we can retain the secrecy of the U-2 program but providing the deniability continues, there won't be any evidence. In light of this situation, and perhaps a question for our American friends too - does Sweden or the United States intend to start or continue any operations within the DRC? I'm not asking for any specific reason but to understand the short and long term plans."

Connor Odinson

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
Ambassador Moon cleared his throat. "The only military operation the United States has planned near the Imperial and Republican Congos is the deployment of submarine patrols along the African coast, possibly focused in the vicinity due to current tensions - this operation would of course not be within the territorial waters of either Congo. The Navy may plan a carrier deployment to the Southern Atlantic some time this year, but that is not set in stone yet," he said, and then waited for the Swedish ambassador to respond.

Jamie Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"No, we have no intention of any overt military involvement in Central Africa whatsoever. I must stress that this meeting is in no way an attempt to encourage either one of you into conflict with Congo; you are both key stakeholders in the Lockheed U-2 Disclosure Agreement, coupled with signatories of TASA, we thought it necessary in the eyes of transparency to inform you of a possible risk to national security. We have a specific interest in the conflict as an onlooker to prevent any planned or unintentional violation of our South African territorial claims.

I am aware that the authorities in Congo are extremely hostile and are not willing to reach diplomatic avenues with our government following their correspondence with the Swedish Accident Investigation Authority. It is clear Congo is using this contact as confirmation that this aircraft is Swedish on the basis no other foreign government has expressed interest - they are adamant they will not permit investigators into the Congo... something we intend to bring to the Global Assembly at a later date as a wider issue to the risks of serious incident investigation in the civilian world.

We are cautious of retaliation from the Congo. They are responsible for two previous terror attacks on Swedish soil at international ports and we still have two government officials in confinement.

I must stress that in the event of any retaliation towards the Kingdom of Sweden we will act hastily and with the full might of the Swedish Armed Forces."

Jamie Odinson

Todays Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaiser Willheim II