STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

Thailand to Portugal | Trade Talk

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021

Foreign-Affairs-photo.png

To: <Department of Trade and Commerce of the Portuguese Republic; CC: Alberto Martins, Secretary of the Department of Trade and Commerce of the Portuguese Republic> Bruno
Subject: Trade Talk Between Thailand and Portugal
Security Type: NSST 1.0 Architecture

To the Department of Trade and Commerce of Portugal,

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Thailand extends its warm greetings to the Department of Trade and Commerce of the Portuguese Republic. We are writing to express Thailand's keen interest in leading new trade initiatives with Portugal. To this end, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, alongside the Director-General of European Affairs, formally extends an invitation to the Portugal Secertary of Trade and Commerce to visit Bangkok at their earliest convenience. We believe that our nations, both steadfast in our democratic principles albeit with unique approaches, share a common commitment to equality, justice, and peaceful coexistence.

The trade negotiation between Thailand and Portugal, if accepted, will be hosted at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand. Our country is prepared to provide logistical support, accommodation, and necessary services for the Portuguese delegation. Thailand looks forward to discussing the export of both agricultural and industrial goods to Portugal in detail during the negotiations. Specific technical definitions will be deliberated in person. The Portuguese delegation can anticipate the introduction of precision farming technology, specialized additive manufacturing components, advanced robotic systems, and nanomaterial products during the negotiations.

Sincerely,

Panthipha Iamsuttha Ekarohit
Director-General of the Department of European Affairs
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Republic of Thailand

Digital Diplomatic Communication​

Bruno

GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
1024px-Coat_of_arms_of_Portugal.svg.png

SECRET

To:
Ministry of Foreign Affairs Bossza007
Subject: Trade Talk Between Thailand and Portugal

On behalf of the Department of Trade and Commerce of the Portuguese Republic, I extend our sincere gratitude for the warm greetings conveyed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand. We are greatly encouraged by Thailand's expressed interest in initiating new trade initiatives with Portugal, and we share your enthusiasm for exploring avenues of collaboration between our nations.

Regarding the invitation for trade negotiations in Bangkok, we are indeed eager to engage in fruitful discussions to advance our bilateral trade relations. However, considering the current global circumstances and our commitment to efficient communication, we would like to propose the possibility of conducting the initial discussions via a phone call or video conference. We believe that this approach would enable us to promptly exchange ideas and explore potential areas of cooperation without delay. Moreover, it would allow us to engage in meaningful dialogue while ensuring the safety and convenience of both our delegations.

Rest assured, we remain fully committed to exploring opportunities for trade cooperation with Thailand. We are particularly interested in delving into the export of agricultural and industrial goods, as well as the innovative technologies mentioned in your letter. We look forward to your favourable consideration of our proposal and to the opportunity of deepening the economic ties between our countries. Please let us know your availability for a virtual meeting, and we will ensure that our delegation is well-prepared for productive discussions.

Thank you once again for extending this invitation, and we anticipate a fruitful dialogue ahead.

Alberto Martins,
Secretary of the Department of Trade and Commerce of the Portuguese Republic

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021

Foreign-Affairs-photo.png

To: <Department of Trade and Commerce of the Portuguese Republic; CC: Alberto Martins, Secretary of the Department of Trade and Commerce of the Portuguese Republic> Bruno
Subject: RE: Trade Talk Between Thailand and Portugal
Security Type: NSST 1.0 Architecture

To the Department of Trade and Commerce of Portugal,

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Thailand extends its appreciation to the Department of Trade and Commerce of the Portuguese Republic. We are gratified by our mutual enthusiasm for enhancing the trade relations between our two countries. In response to your esteemed Department’s proposal, Thailand agrees to initiate discussions through a telephone call to facilitate efficient coordination. Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Sukhumbhand Paribatra, will engage with his Portuguese counterpart via telephone, scheduled to commence at three in the afternoon, local time in Portugal. We kindly request that both parties allocate at least two hours for this conversation to ensure a comprehensive discussion.

Sincerely,

Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Republic of Thailand

Digital Diplomatic Communication​

The soft glow of an early Thai summer morning washed over Bangkok, infusing the bustling metropolis with a sense of fleeting warmth. Amidst the ceaseless flow of life in a city of twenty million, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stood out—a testament to Thailand's graceful dance between modernity and tradition.

Inside the building, a room bore the name "Sukhumbhand Paribatra" on its doorplate, signifying the office of the Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs. The clock was ticking closer to eight. Sukhumbhand gazed at the old blue telephone on his desk, his thoughts drifting. A small, knowing smile broke across his face as he crumpled a note and tossed it into the bin—a gesture shedding the weight of prior hesitations. As the clock heralded the arrival of the hour, he lifted the receiver, the numbers to the Portuguese Department of Trade and Commerce already committed to memory.

Connection established; the secure line buzzed with the undercurrent of international diplomacy. His voice carried across continents, through the NSST 1.0 Architecture, beneath oceans, to emerge in the historic heart of Lisbon.

“It's a pleasure to speak with you, Secretary Alberto Martins,” Sukhumbhand began, his British English polished by years of meticulous study and practice. He continued in a calm, measured tone, “I am Deputy Minister Sukhumbhand, from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.” As he shifted slightly in his chair, his voice brightened with genuine interest. “How are things in Lisbon, and Europe at large? I trust the unrest stirred by the Franco-Canadian War hasn’t cast too heavy a shadow over your region. It appears that even those of us with ties to France are in the dark about the true state of affairs.” His words, carefully chosen, sought to bridge the distance between their two nations, underpinned by a keen awareness of the fragile geopolitical landscape.

“I extend Thailand's warmest commendations to Portugal for your recent advancements in progressive policies and legislation,” Sukhumbhand expressed with palpable delight. “Your legislative and executive branches have inspired confidence in Thailand, affirming our view of Portugal as a like-minded ally. We are committed to championing progressivism globally, a path we see as vital for the sustainability of our societies. Do you share this vision, Secretary Martins?” His question, posed with sincere conviction in their shared ideals, sought not just an answer but a deeper connection on these pivotal issues.

Bruno

GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
The side of the Portuguese Department would be encrypted and private.

"Deputy Minister Sukhumbhand, it's a pleasure to speak with you as well," Secretary Alberto Martins responded, his tone polite yet cautious. "Thank you for your kind words regarding Portugal's recent advancements, we will always strife to be the pioneers in inovative legislation. As for the situation in Lisbon and Europe, while the Franco-Canadian War has indeed raised concerns, we remain steadfast in our commitment to stability and cooperation. However with the collapse of the previous Canadian Government, we believe that this new administration in Canada as ceased all hostilities."

He paused momentarily, carefully considering his words before continuing,

"Your commendations are appreciated, and I'm glad to hear of Thailand's shared commitment to progressivism. It's heartening to know that we are viewed as like-minded nations in this regard. Indeed, promoting progressivism globally is crucial for the sustainability of our societies." Secretary Alberto paused again, his voice reflecting a hint of reservation. "However, it's important for us to ensure that our actions align with our shared values of transparency and honesty in international relations. Recent events have prompted us to approach all matters with caution, across the board."

He shifted the conversation slightly, maintaining a diplomatic tone. "Before we proceed further, I'm curious to know more about the trade talks that Thailand wishes to engage in. Could you provide some insights into the specific areas of interest or potential collaboration?" Throughout the conversation, Secretary Alberto maintained a polite demeanor, mindful of the delicate nature of international relations and the need for careful but fair diplomacy.

Bossza007

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021
“Thailand's looking to nail down a Zero Tariff Agreement with Portugal, specifically tailored to our surplus exports falling within certain categories outlined by your local regulations. In exchange, we're curious to hear what Portugal might have in mind from Thailand to sweeten the deal. Of course, this agreement would be founded on equal ground. It's worth noting that Thailand's economy is quite self-sufficient, so it's no surprise we'll naturally accumulate a surplus of resources over time. Now, onto the goods we're talking about. First up, medical equipment from our manufacturing hub in Chiang Mai. Since 2002, Thailand's been a key supplier of electronic medical devices and equipment across Southeast Asia, and we reckon it's high time to broaden our horizons."

"Secondly, our aim extends to the exportation of our innovative GMO products to the discerning agricultural market of Portugal. Thailand has been at the forefront of genome modification technology, showcasing significant advancements, particularly through the utilization of CRISPR technology to augment our plant species. Moreover, we seek to export components vital to additive manufacturing. Specifically, we're advocating for the elimination of tariffs on Thai polymers, metals, and ceramics. This trade will not only align with the burgeoning needs of Portugal’s additive industry but also addresses the broader demand for quality goods.”

"In addition, our ambition extends to exporting advanced robotic systems from our Advanced Manufacturing Cluster in Rayong. We envision a symbiotic relationship wherein the integration of Thai robotic systems will catalyze the automation and modernization of your industry, laying the groundwork for a partnership that benefits us both.”

"And finally, our aim encompasses the exportation of nanomaterial products, encompassing solar cells and hydrogen fuel cells. The significance of energy in ensuring our species' longevity cannot be overstated. By aligning with Portugal's burgeoning renewable energy sector, we see an opportunity for collaborative trade that will pave the way for a greener, more sustainable future for all.”

Bruno

Bruno

GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
"Deputy Minister Sukhumbhand, we appreciate Thailand's proposal and the opportunity to explore potential avenues for trade collaboration. Your insights into Thailand's surplus exports and innovative industries are quite intriguing, and we see potential for mutual benefits!" He would pause sipping from his water.

"Before we consider the proposal, we must assess its potential impact on Portugal's economy and industries. While collaboration presents opportunities, that is true, we must first ensure that any agreements reached are balanced and promote fair competition. Given the differences in economic size and regulatory standards between our countries, it's most essential to review your proposal within our government to ensure alignment with our national interests and values. I'm sure you understand." He would pause, scribbling a few notes on his notepad.

"However we do recognize Thailand's commitment to trade liberalization and sustainable development and value the opportunity to further discuss collaboration down the road. We propose more detailed discussions to address specific terms and conditions of your proposal. This collaborative approach allows us to explore potential areas of mutual interest while considering the potential risks and benefits for both our countries. In light of this, we have a few questions for further clarification: How does Thailand propose to address regulatory differences and ensure a level playing field for both our countries' industries? You must keep in mind that our internal industry is heavily regulated, almost with bare to none subsidies, worker conditions are of the highest standard globally. Additionally, what measures does Thailand suggest mitigating any potential negative impacts on Portuguese domestic industries and vice-versa? Lastly, how does Thailand envision intellectual property rights protection and technology transfer in the proposed collaboration? I must clarify that a zero tariff agreement is not currently feasible for Portugal, at least while the Guterres Administration is in office. However, we remain open to exploring alternative arrangements that promote fair and mutually beneficial trade relations."

Bossza007

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021
Minister Sukhumbhand’s voice carried a note of enthusiasm over the phone line, a mirror to his Portuguese counterpart's tone. "I understand the unique challenges facing Portugal, and I assure you, Thailand is committed to addressing these concerns with a foundation of openness and mutual respect," he said, his smile almost audible. He paused, choosing his words with care. "Given the constraints of your current administration, I recognize that a zero-tariff agreement might be infeasible. Instead, may I propose that we initiate a comprehensive preliminary study to explore our countries' trade relations?"

After a brief silence, allowing his words to resonate, he continued, "Thailand then suggests a phased tariff reduction. This approach would be implemented gradually, allowing both our countries to make necessary adjustments and monitor the impacts on our domestic industries." He waited, giving space for his counterpart to digest the information.

"Portugal's concerns about regulatory differences and potential impacts on domestic industries are both valid and respected," Minister Sukhumbhand resumed, his tone reflecting deep consideration. "To address these, Thailand proposes the creation of a joint task force. This commission, comprising representatives from both our nations, would undertake a detailed impact assessment study. It would carefully analyze the effects of the proposed agreement on various sectors, including industries, labor markets, and consumer welfare." He paused once more, gathering his thoughts before proceeding.

“I recognize the paramount importance of intellectual property rights,” began Minister Sukhumbhand, his voice measured to underscore the seriousness of the topic. “Thailand has recently navigated a dispute with Russia, a situation from which both nations have learned the critical need for a robust legal framework.” He allowed a pause, letting the gravity of his words resonate. “It is imperative that Thailand and Portugal establish a similar framework—one that protects the intellectual property rights of both our countries while facilitating the responsible exchange of knowledge and technology. We envision a framework that includes provisions for joint research initiatives, licensing agreements, and technology transfer protocols that ensure fair compensation and mutual benefit.” He paused, collecting his thoughts before continuing.

“Furthermore, I wish to emphasize that Thailand represents a uniquely reliable and sustainable trade partner for Portugal, unmatched elsewhere in Asia at this moment. Our strengths in innovation and sustainable development are perfectly aligned with Portugal’s progressive values, particularly as both our nations share similar ideological visions.” Sukhumbhand’s voice conveyed a sincerity that felt almost tangible. “Should there be any concerns about potential disruptions to Portuguese industries, let me assure you of Thailand’s resilience. Our economic stability in consistent production capacities and self-sufficiency promise long-term benefits and strengthened ties. The opportunities for collaboration in fields like genome modification, additive manufacturing, and renewable energy are immense and should not be underestimated.” He concluded, his tone reflecting a sincere grin.

Bruno

Bruno

GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
"Mr. Sukhumbhand, your dedication to exploring trade relations between our nations is commendable, truly! And I appreciate your proactive approach in addressing Portugal's concerns, as we do with Thailand's concerns. Your suggestion of initiating a comprehensive study to delve into the intricacies of our potential trade partnership is indeed prudent.

Regarding the proposal for a phased tariff reduction, that goes both ways, I concur that it presents a pragmatic approach to gradually aligning our trade policies while safeguarding the interests of our domestic industries. However, we can't go towards a no tarrif policy, perhaps reaching a certain threshold would be sufficient. We must remind ourselves that Portugal's markets continue to be searched by other nations, we must keep the spirit of competition alive as with it, innovation will thrive, alongside protecting consumers from high prices and inflation! As for the establishment of a joint task force, I believe our direct engagement and collaboration, leveraging our respective expertise, could streamline the process and ensure efficient decision-making.

Intellectual property rights are paramount, and I'm pleased to see your recognition of their importance. Protecting our innovations while fostering a conducive environment for knowledge exchange is fundamental to nurturing a successful partnership.

Thailand's reliability as a trade partner is reassuring, of course, and I share your enthusiasm for the potential collaborations in renewable energy, however genome alternations still need more investigating from our scientists and be regulated by our lawmakers.

Let us maintain this positive momentum, Sukhumbhand. I eagerly anticipate further discussions and the opportunity to forge a robust and mutually beneficial relationship between our countries."

Bossza007

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021
Sukhumbhand's laughter was light and sincere, an echo of delight as he engaged with his Portuguese counterpart, his murmurs of agreement weaving seamlessly into the conversation. When his turn to speak arrived, he did so with a clear and reassuring tone, underlining the mutual commitment to forward momentum. "I thank you on behalf of Thailand for your kind words, Martins. We are resolutely committed to ensuring that any trade agreement nurtures the economic interests of both our nations."

"I believe we agree that a thorough preliminary study is essential for the optimal outcome of any trade deal," he continued, pausing to let the significance of the statement settle. "Perhaps it would be prudent to conclude our conversation now and liaise within our respective departments to guarantee policy alignment. Thailand will appoint its ambassador to advance this trade matter."

He paused, allowing a moment for Martins to interject if he had more to add. "Well, if that concludes our discussion, I thank you heartily for this engaging call. Our dialogue has been both fruitful and constructive. Once our teams have pinpointed the optimal timing and details for this agreement, I look forward to the possibility of flying to Lisbon for the signing ceremony. Goodbye, Secretary Martins."

Bruno