STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

APPROVED [GA] Resolution on Antarctica

Vote on the Resolution for Antarctica

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naio90

Federal Republic of Ethiopia
Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
The argentine representative would turn on the mic, after putting the Tamagochi away and looking at his watch.

"Mr. Secretary General, I think its time to resume the debate. We have important matters to attend."

Hollie

GingeOrCringe

Junior
Apr 5, 2020
Ostap would enter into a hushed phone conversation during the recess. Frowning, he would make sure to take the call as far away from the other representatives as he could. When the break concluded, he would make an effort not to look at the Russian or Argentine delegates as the assembly members reentered the chamber and took their seats.

JakeDorent

The Empire of the Americas
Nov 14, 2019
The Brazilian Ambassador would head outside for a moment during the break, talking on the phone in Portuguese, once done, he'd return to his seat, a somewhat tired look on his face...this bickering back and forth is not good to the soul, he thought, he brought with him a bottle of water, taking a large sip of it to clear his throat. This seemed like it wasn't going to end anytime soon.

To try and pass the time, the Ambassador pulled out his Gameboy, quickly lowering Its volume and putting in the only game he had with him, Super Mario Land, he'd play it as he waited for the session to continue.

Hollie

Admin
Jun 20, 2018

Global Assembly

" Ambassadors to the assembly; we're resuming this session with a strong desire to resolve the dispute concerning Antarctic sovereignty.
This serves as a communication channel for us to come together, make decisions and take action. To those means, we must respect the
meeting. At times our passion can make us lose sight of how we treat others, especially when their opinion differ from our own. However,
we all must control the tone of our interactions and facilitate the conversation. We'll recommence with Swedish Ambassador, Marc Kvet "

Connor

Vaka

The Kingdom of Norway
GA Member
Sep 26, 2020
yugoslavia-un-germany-united-nations-shutterstock-editorial-7316175a.jpg

Ambassador Tono Eitel retook his seat. He poured himself a glass of water. He was anxious to get started again. I should have gotten something to eat, he thought to himself as knew that the debate was surely to go late into the afternoon. He looked over his notes so far and he felt that the discussion seemed pretty clear to him and he eagerly awaited to hear what the Swedish Ambassador, Marc Kvet, had to say next.

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
Marc stands in front of his chair, outstretching the microphone to capture his voice and in turn buttoning a single button of his crisp ironed suit jacket.

"Thank you Secretary General,

Before I address the chamber I would like to make a proposition to you, as the chair of these chambers, and then I will go on to explain why I am making such a request. You, quite rightly, invited the Republic of Argentina to preside on the Resolution on Antarctica following their heavy involvement and interest in the region which has in-turn seen a fractious relationship between the northern and southern hemispheres over recent months; the continent of Antarctica, recognised by the Global Assembly as Swedish sovereign territory, being the catalyst of division. I am not alone in saying it is clear that Argentina does not hold the same intention as the rest of us to seek resolution in the region however. From the very beginning of this debate we have seen an overwhelming majority in support of propositions provided by nations including my own, the United States of America, Spain and other key contributors which will no doubt see the eventual delivery of an all-encompassing treaty ending the tension over Antarctica. But at every step of the way we have seen Argentina repeat a couple statements, which I will relay in layman's terms:

The first is that Argentina has made it undeniably clear that, in their view, as they are not apart of the Global Assembly as a member state that they have no requirement, or intention to follow the laws, regulations, agreements and treaties put in place by this chamber.

The second is that Argentina has made it abundantly clear that if they do not get their own way, they will not ratify any agreement made by this chamber - with no room for negotiation.

The third is that Argentina will no longer address Sweden in this debate.

I am sorry, Secretary General, but my understanding of the Global Assembly is that this is a democracy in-which the majority is, in the most-part, the winning party. My understanding is that the Global Assembly recognises Antarctica as Swedish sovereign territory. If Argentina has no intention to comply with the results of this debate, has no intention of complying with the basic rules of democracy and has no intention of discussing this matter with Sweden, the nation with legal rights over the continent, then how on Earth can we proceed with this matter?

From the very beginning they have provided nothing constructive and done nothing but crash every proposition provided by the member states of this assembly. I, and many other nations here, have given them ample opportunity to follow the basic rules of this chamber, provide the member states here with basic etiquette and decorum and to negotiate. They have failed. My plea to you, Secretary General, is that we now ask the Special Representative for Argentina to leave the chamber as it is clear they have absolutely no intention of playing ball."

Hollie

Jamie

Admin
GA Member
World Power
Jan 6, 2018
The British Ambassador retained his seat, remaining silence as the Swedish Delegate spoke their proposal and did nothing but quietly nod. The points put forward was just and it was thought that Argentina would need to offer something by contributing with something meaningful to save their place in the chamber to discuss Antarctica. Quietly looking around the room, waiting to see if anyone else chirps up or for the Argentine Delegate to respond.

Naio90

Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
The argentine representative would speak.

"It is interesting how a person is capable of twisting words and adapting reality to serve their own interests. The swedish ambassador just presented us with a masterclass in this art many call diplomacy, but for me is just an attempt at removing opposing interests. They are obviously entitled to act this way, but on behalf of Argentina I must make the corresponding corrections.

The Argentine Republic is here present in order to be part of the solution, a solution that is not guided by colonialistic interests. The unilateral swedish annexation and militarization of Antarctica violated and ignored decades and decades of antarctic foreign policy and interests of nations that are way more entitled to parts of the white continent.

Until 1996, Antarctica was at peace. A fragile one, but peace at least. Withouth the swedish deploying dozens of military units, kidnapping foreign scientists and trying to exert police authority, we would today not be wasting our time here, and you could all be discussing matters more relevant to humankind, such as the continuous genocides and famines in Africa or global warming.

Yet... because the Kingdom of Sweden, who likes to speak of democracy yet is a monarchy, decided it wanted to annex, militarize and dominate an entire 14,000,000 km2 continent, almost 17,000km away from their territory, we are today all here gathered.

The monarchy of Sweden broke the reigning peace and stability in Antarctica, and brought winds of war to the southern hemisphere by deploying military vessels 300km off argentine shores and on a territory that Argentina had evidenced interest for decades. But so did other nations, Russia, who is being left out reserved a claim together with the US (But Sweden now only wants to recognize the US claim), Africa, who apparently is not capable enough to have antarctic incidence according to Stockholm, and many other nations.

So, Secretary General, excuse us if we are here to try show the reality and facts of the event, and show our compromise to find a solution that not only suits the Kingdom of Sweden and its colonial intersts.

Despite what the swedish ambassador says, Argentina will do its biggest effort to find a diplomatic solution and willingly adhere to it despite being a non-GA member. But this does not mean we will yield to colonial behaviours.

To round up, the swedish ambassador kept stating that Argentina "provided nothing constructive and done nothing but crash every proposition provided by the member states", which not only is an evident lie but also a disrespect to all the present, who saw Argentina make their own proposals. This proposal, originally presented by the US, and with the proposed argentine modifications, would serve as a common ground on how Antarctica shold be trated, and opened to door to further discussions on sovereignty.

On the other hand, we failed to see a Document submitted by Sweden...
".

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"Thank you for your account, Special Representative - Mr Secretary General, I believe that Argentina has been given ample opportunity to shown their willingness to comply with proceedings and has failed to do so. This is not an attempt for Sweden to sway the resolution in our favour as the chamber has already presented themselves as being in majority favour of the proposal supplied by the United States of America, the amendments proposed by Argentina are unlawful as, irrespective of their views, Antarctica is legally Swedish and the proposed resolution would need to reflect that for us to lawfully return territory to the respective historical claims.

I, and the rest of the chamber, are tired of going around in circles. I propose this goes to a vote on the removal of Argentina from this democratic forum and upon the result of which we wish to put forward a 'expression of interest' form which will enable our legal team to establish exactly who, globally, requests territorial claim in Antarctica - with the provision they have historical basis to do so."

Hollie

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
The Russian Representative to the GA Sergey Lavrov would stand up."Russia contests this Swedish claim to Antartica." he would say staring at the Swedish rep."Should Sweden continue to conduct military maneuvers in Antarctica, and make such absurd claims then the Russian Federation shall be forced to act. Sweden has forty eight hours to rescind these claims. No more negotiations."

He would leave the chamber.

Hollie Connor

JakeDorent

The Empire of the Americas
Nov 14, 2019
With the Break finished, the Brazilian would put away his Gameboy, taking a sip of his water before listening to the argument and chiming in.

"
Excuse me if I may, Ambassador Kyet.

I, Like other representatives in this chamber, believe that the proposal presented forth by the United States has flaws, and I believe those have to be addressed with the presence of all of those involved within this crisis, Argentina included.

Which is why I'd like to put forward the following Amendments.
"

He'd glance down to his papers as he began to read the Amendments.

ARTICLE 3 MILITARIZATION
1. Member-states may have military personnel stationed to provide logistical support to the operating stations on Antarctica. These forces cannot be armed. Member-states may permanently station Coast Guard forces in their territory on an as-needed basis.
a. Member-states may use their armed forces to fly-in supplies, equipment, and personnel to Antarctica. However, member-states may not station or operate armed fix-winged aircraft in Antarctica, or allow foreign actors to do so in their territory.
b. Member-states may not station or operate tanks in Antarctica, or allow foreign actors to do so in their territory.
c. Member-states may not construct or operate missile silos on Antarctic territory, or land-based mobile/immobile ICBM launchers, or allow foreign actors to do so in their territory.
2. Member-states may not store weapons, ammunition, or dangerous WMDs, or allow foreign actors to do so in their territory. Only small personal weapons specifically used for scientific and research purposes, and their limited ammunition, are permited.
a. Chemical and biological weapons may not be researched, constructed, or stored on Antarctic land.
3. In times of war, Antarctica will be treated as an international "peaceful" zone, where armed conflict and invasion of Antarctic territories will not be tolerated.
a. In this case, involved parties that try to antagonize or intimidate their enemies through Antarctica would be subject to fines from the Secretary General.
3. For any infraction of this Article, the Secretary General may impose, at most, a $250,000,000 fine per infraction. If the guilty Member-state does not correct their mistake, then the Secretary General may continue to issue $250,000,000 fines per day until the infractions stop.

Once finished, Fernando would look back at the chamber, pausing for a moment, before continuing.

"
Once again, we do not see the need to Militarize a continent, to Demilitarize it.

Thank you.
"

With that, he sat back on his seat, sighing.

Hollie

Bruno

GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
"We apply agreed with the proposal put forward by the Brazilian Representative, however I would add that no Military Radar or any Military surveillance of any kind can be constructed in Antarctica, unless for scientific purposes, since I fail to see why would a nation require a Air Radar for scientific purposes." JakeDorent

He would turn to the Swedish. Connor

"I would like to ask you Mr. Representative, why does Sweden consider its Antarctic Territory to be legal? As far as I'm aware, nothing was passed yet to make your claim legal in the GA eyes, I would like for you to explain this to me please." He would smile warmly.

Yet he would shrug his shoulders at the Russians Storming off with just a couple of words. Muttering to himself privately. "Seems like the bear these days is easly startled."

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"We are jumping ahead, this debate needs to be structured - Sweden will continue with negotiation once the Secretary General has judged my proposal in my opening statement"

Jamie

Admin
GA Member
World Power
Jan 6, 2018
The British Delegate rolled his eyes at the Russian outburst. Despite the UK and Russia having built on positive relations, it was always suspicious that Russia was merely a puppet. Due to the fact Russia hasn't said a word throughout the meeting or Antarctica dispute, the threat was somewhat brushed under the rug as the British Delegate turned to listening between the conversation as it continued. Fortunately Russia's ventriloquist, Argentina, remained in the meeting for the time being to see how they react to the flare-up.

Hollie

Admin
Jun 20, 2018

Global Assembly

" Thank you for your opening remarks, Ambassador Kvet. Addressing the Argentine Ambassador, I kindly request the good gentleman
remains factual in his statements to avoid misguiding the assembly. The Swedish Government exercised their right to claim Antarctica.
Seeing how all territorial claims are achieved through military, any of you could have exercised your own right to the territory. Yet, this
bold endeavor was not disputed until almost two years later. Before 1995, Antarctica was a lawless region, not governed by any state.
Verbal claims are nothing but hollow statements throughout history; not enough to prove your own political interest in the continent.
Seeing how we're at an impasse, I'm asking the Ambassadors of the assembly to determine the next course of action by poll method.
We shall address the amendment by the Brazilian Representative, as soon as we've decided whether to remove Ambassador Cardona. "

Connor Naio90 Bruno JakeDorent

Naio90

Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
"As a clarification, Mr. Secretary General, Argentina did not make any attempt to annex the continent through military force because we wanted to avoid what we are going through now: an increase in global tensions and a possible armed conflict. Thank you."

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
Swedish Ambassador Marc Kvet remains silent, knowing full well that Argentina's mass deployment of military assets to Antarctica without so much as a phone call to Sweden was an absurd view of 'peaceful' resolution.

Dutchy

The Netherlands
GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
The Chinese Representative to the Global Assembly, having only recently received his accreditation, arrived late to the Chambers. Taking his seat he started reading through the transcripts, chuckling softly at some of the words being thrown about.

Bruno

GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
The Spanish Representative would look at the poll already closed. But remain in his seat waiting for the official statement.

Kelly the Mad

Congolese Empire
Oct 28, 2020
The Romanian representative, State Colonel Grul, would take his seat. His tailored dress uniform was decorated with several medals. He would begin flipping through the heavy stack of transcripts awaiting him, taking in all of the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bruhlord89