STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[Sweden]: Message to Great Britain and Norway

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018

Security Classification: SECURE
Data within this email is encrypted and secure as per the Document Classification and Security Act 2013

To whom it may concern,

I am writing by direction of Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven following thorough liaison within the Swedish Department for Foreign Affairs and the Swedish Departmrnt for Home Affairs. I sincerely hope this message finds you well.

For a while now Great Britain has been the lawful land owner of the small formerly Swedish island of Gotland. This island holds significant historical links to Sweden and the medieval city of Visby holds the distinguished recognition aboard the HSwMS Visby, a corvette at the forefront of the Swedish Royal Navy and a prominent figure in Swedish coastal defence. The British control of this territory was likely for the good of the people residing within the province following irrefutable and dangerous actions taken by an uncontrollable Swedish government, this however is no longer the case.

The Löfven Administration was appointed in 2013 and therein we have proven our consistent dedication to international peace, diplomatic security and restraint as well as resistance to unnecessary physical military deployments abtoad. I strongly believe that now is better time than ever to discuss the release of Gotland back to Sweden and would like to invite your respective delegations to a small summit within Stockholm, Sweden - present at the meeting we would like to see a small committee of Swedish, British and Norwegian representatives.

Norway has proven their neutrality throughout international tension and to my understanding holds both the Swedish and British in high stead, we would like the Norwegians present to mediate a fair and civil process.

I genuinely look forward to your responses and hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Margot Wallström
Secretary for Foreign Affairs
Department of Foreign Affairs
Kingdom of Sweden

@Odinson
@Jamie

Jamie

Admin
GA Member
World Power
Jan 6, 2018

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

To:Margot Wallström, Secretary for Foreign Affairs
Cc:Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
SubjectRE: Gotland Affairs
Security Level:Private / Encrypted

Dear Margot Wallström,

Thank you for contacting the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and for your issuing of the invitation to the summit to discuss the situation surrounding Gotland. This invitation is something we would be happy to accept, however, I do wish to make some points that will likely be discussed at length, but unlikely to change as a result. Of course, the agenda is sensitive but these concerns still exist and a summit would not alter the course or decision.

The last Swedish Government had made a similiar request, identifying them as a 'stable' country to re-manage Gotland. It wasn't long after this, its administration collapsed. This is a grave concern for those on the island, but also the consideration that as you said yourself, your party only entered office in 2013.. which, it's still 2013. This shows no significant change or promise to the continued security over your administrations position. That is the main concern, and we would need to see a longer period of your administration in office to consider realigning Gotland with Sweden.

Additionally, if that did happen and your government proved it's stability, the decision on becoming part of Sweden would not be ours, nor yours. We would be happy to offer the people of Gotland a referendum on what they would like. The government that sold Gotland to Argentina, then Argentina sold it to the British Government with the intention of preventing it been utilised as a bargaining tool for money. If, you are able to ensure your stability in the coming years, we will be happy to look into a referendum to let those on Gotland decide the course of action. I hope this is something you can understand, and is terms you'd be happy to agree with. Ultimately, if your government is intending to be around, a couple of years of stability could be considered short term.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions and whether you'd still like the summit to take place. But, as mentioned, the requirements above will still apply.

Kind Regards,
CNorris
Christopher Norris
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
?mofa@gov.co.uk​
☎️03700 00 22 44​
✉️Ministry of Foreign Affairs, King Charles Street, London, SW1​

@Odinson
@Connor

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
101px-Statsikon.svg.png

KINGDOM OF NORWAY
MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SUBJECT: Re: Gotland Affairs
RECIPIENT: Margot Wallström, Secretary of Foreign Affairs of The Kingdom of Sweden; Christopher Norris, Minister of Foreign Affairs of The United Kingdom
SECURITY: ENCRYPTED

Fellow Diplomats,

Both the Crown and His Majesty's government have expressed approval for me to mediate a summit such as this between Sweden and the United Kingdom. It is without doubt that the Kingdom of Norway - both civilly and politically - holds Britain and Sweden in high regards as friends and ancient ancestral brothers. If this summit is to move forward, I would be more than happy to travel to Stockholm for it, or if preferred I would be happy to host it in Oslo.

At your service,

Jakob Vinter
Minister of Foreign Affairs

@Jamie
@Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018

Security Classification: SECURE
Data within this email is encrypted and secure as per the Document Classification and Security Act 2013

Dearest Ministers,

I thank you for your prompt responses in regards to a summit for the subject of Gotland.

Our government is young and as is our political stance in international tension. Our pride and ambition however, is not.

Whilst I appreciate the instability of former Swedish governments we strongly believe that better relations between Sweden, Great Britain and Gotland would a strong step forward to the betterment of the North and Baltic Sea's future. Gotland is a subject of high priority to the incumbent administration in Sweden and despite the control set forth by the British government, which we understand and respect thoroughly, I hold it dear that the summit should proceed as initially planned to discuss the potential for future cooperation between our three states.

As such, I formally invite The Honourable Mr Christopher Norris and The Honourable Mr Jakob Vinter to the Hotel Lydmar, Stockholm in which rooms will be reserved and conference rooms secured for the duration of the summit.

Regards,
Margot Wallström
Secretary for Foreign Affairs
Department of Foreign Affairs
Kingdom of Sweden

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
Jakob Vinter, along with five armed special agents from Kripos, travelled to Stockholm via helicopter. The Swedes were informed of the travel route and where they would be landing. The Minister, some people from the diplomatic corps, and the Kripos special agents travelled wherever the Swedes directed them to go.

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
All flights would be directed via Stockholm Arlanda Airport and treated as VIP transport thus given priority through the airspace and directed to taxi to a secure area within the airport.

Awaiting the delegations would be a small convoy supplied by the Swedish Security Service consisting of five Volvo XC90 (provided for the Swedish National Police, armed with a SIG Sauer P228 and Heckler & Koch MP5 as per standard issue, to provide basic protection capabilities throughout transportation) and two Volvo V90 (to provide vehicular transport to the delegation). Should further seats be required a single Mercedes-Benz Sprinter W907 would wait at the back of the convoy to house any further security personnel or support staff. Throughout the time at the airport the Swedish National Police would keep in constant contact with the CCTV control room whilst waiting the British arrival.

All vehicles in the convoy are equipped with emergency (blue and white) lighting.

[XC90] [SPRINTER] [XC90] [XC90] [V90] [V90] [XC90]

Jamie

Admin
GA Member
World Power
Jan 6, 2018
Leon Hurst, the Secretary of State for International Development was assigned to this particular summit to discuss the issue surrounding the Gotland with the Swedes under Norwegian mediation. Having accepted the invitation the Secretary was transported via a British Army Bitten-Norman Defender AL.2, accompanied by 5 individuals from 1 Regiment, Royal Military Police, who had been assigned to protect the delegate. The aircraft would go through the normal expectations of air traffic control rules to get to Sweden. The trip was short, giving the Secretary time to brush up on what he needed to know. Upon arrival, he'd be sure to go through any security checks and board the convoy ready to go to the summit.

@Connor
@Odinson

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
Minister Vinter arrived at the airport along with his security team. They eagerly awaited interaction with the British and the Swedes.

@Jamie
@Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
Swedish Police direct tge delegation to the waiting motorcade and allow them to board before departure, once settled the vehicles would move off on a predetermined route to Hotel Lydmar - throughout the journey drivers and support officers would remain vigilant and prepared to divert to alternative routes should there be a compromising situation on the way. British and Norwegian security personnel would be provided with building plans and contingency plans in the event of an emergency.

Upon arrival Secretary for Foreign Affairs Margot Wallström would wait eagerly for the delegation to exit the vehicles.

Jamie

Admin
GA Member
World Power
Jan 6, 2018
The Delegate for Britain attempted to make small talk, introducing himself to anyone around that seemingly represented Norway or Sweden as his intention to make contacts. After a short journey of starring out the window and taking in the environment. It was, afterall, his first official visit to the country. Following the vehicles coming to a stop, the British Representative exited the vehicle and approached the Secretary for Foreign Affairs, extending his hand "Hello!" he spoke eagerly.

@Odinson
@Connor

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
The Minister and his staff exited their vehicles and entered into the facility to meet the other diplomats. "Good afternoon, Secretary Hurst. It's nice to see you," Minister Vinter said as he offered to shake the Englishman's hand.

They had presumably been brought to a meeting room with a table. The Norwegian Minister would, if possible, sit at the head of the table or between British and Swedes. "Modern diplomacy is a great development that mankind has achieved. I'm happy that we're able to sit here and discuss an issue such as Gotland as adults. Secretary Wallström, since you called this meeting, I suppose it would be fitting for you to begin."

@Connor
@Jamie

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
Margot would greet both delegations through the door with an eager and friendly handshake, guiding her counterparts through the grand entrance hall to an awaiting conference room - as standard press and media representatives were not permitted inside the building and the hotel secured the wing in which the diplomats were talking - Swedish National Police increased their standard patrols in the area for the duration of the summit.

“Ministers I would like to take the cliche step of welcoming you to the beautiful country of Sweden as distinguished guests, I really hope your short journeys went without a hitch and really hope our national police service have taken utmost care of you through your time here so far... if you do have any questions during your time here please do not hesitate to ask...”

Margot smiles before continuing...

“I think we’ve reached a historic moment already having the three of us meet - fundamentally I believe our relationship is essential for prosperity in this hemisphere and certainly our local region. I have invited you both here for a summit to discuss Gotland in more depth, I have to admit the workings and failures of previous Swedish governments is not something I’m very clued up on, perhaps the British could give ula brief explanation for the current ownership of Gotland?”

Jamie

Admin
GA Member
World Power
Jan 6, 2018
The British Delegates had spent the initial hours to introduce themselves and become acquainted with representatives from both Norway and Sweden, both countries seen as perspective allies. Once it was time for the meeting, the Secretary took a seat and listened to the introduction before been called to discuss Gotland. He slowly stood up and cleared his throat before speaking;

"I would like to first begin by thanking my Norwegian counter parts for their attendance and neutrality in regards to the subject for this meeting, and my Swedish counterparts for hosting us today. I foresee this been a productive meeting and an outcome that will ensure a smooth relationship, not just between Britain and Sweden, but Norway too." There was a short pause, then he continued to speak of Gotland. "The situation surrounding Gotland is no different to when we initially received it. A former Swedish Government had sold Gotland to Argentina, this became of British interests for two reasons. Firstly, national security. At the time, Argentina was part of Hainan which as you know led to brutal tensions between ISAF and the Hainan Concordant. Argentine territory in Europe was considered a huge risk. The British Government offered to buy Gotland, and this was well received. These two 'sales' happened within weeks, the people on Gotland had already lost stability with repetitive governments in Sweden collapsing. Gotland soon became an integral part of the British Oversea Territories.

We strongly stand by our understanding that those on Gotland require stability and peace, and the British Government offers that reassurance. The last Swedish Government had made the same request, which we would only accept on two conditions:
- Proven Stability from that government. Unfortunately the government collapsed shortly after.
- It was only on the basis of a referendum by residents of Gotland.

If the Swedish Government is able to prove their stability by remaining in office, we would be happy to offer a referendum decided by those on Gotland as to who should govern them."

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"I couldn't agree more - this meeting is primarily to ensure we're all on the same page and working on a parallel in line with each others expectations both to ensure the prosperity of our future relationship and the security of the general public. I strongly believe that, following your comments, we're working on the right track towards a referendum within Gotland and I think the Swedish government is becoming a real influence on international politics... we're working towards promotion of health and safety not just for the continuation of military advancement like many MEDCs globally but for the health and safety of civilians.

One of our projects at the moment is the Maritime Safety Initiative primarily directed by the Department for Justice in conjunction with the Department for Defence. Funding has been secured and is already well spent towards the development of maritime security, search and rescue capacity and law enforcement, naturally this effects Gotland as our operations will focus on the Baltic region and potentially even the North Sea."

Margots eyes dart between the two delegations before going on.

"I have been asked to discuss the potential for a relaxation of border controls, at least in a maritime capacity, surrounding Gotland in order to allow the progression of our plans. With the limited information you have thus far, what're you initial thoughts?"

Jamie

Admin
GA Member
World Power
Jan 6, 2018
"As you can imagine, due to the UK been an island nation and our multiple oversea territories too been islands, Maritime Security is at the utmost priority for our Navy, so we entirely understand how important it is; much more for Gotland itself due to it's global positioning. Just as a side note, I am aware the British Ministry of Defence is also looking into an arrangement of a Royal Navy vessel in the area as reassurance to those on Gotland -- nothing specific, just general security around the island. This is something I could see as been a joint effort between Sweden and the UK. Nonetheless, it's something we'd consider to give extra access, but this would be monitored access by the British Armed Forces, such as a navy presence. For security reasons, of course."

@Connor

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
After having quietly listened for some time, Minister Vinter finally spoke up after Secretary Hurst finished speaking. "I don't mean to interrupt, Secretary Hurst. I think that the both of you are being very productive, however I do have a question for clarity's sake. Of the two conditions that you mentioned for Sweden to possibly... 'reabsorb' Gotland, so to speak, I was wondering how long it would take for Sweden to prove its stability? I realize that this might be a hard question to answer, but that's honestly part of the reason why I'm asking it," Jakob said to his British friend.

@Jamie

Jamie

Admin
GA Member
World Power
Jan 6, 2018
The Secretary listened to the Norwegian response, nodding.
"I would say a safe and suitable time frame would be two years. Short in comparison to the expectation of a stable government anyway but I suppose that will provide a deadline to renegotiate the possibility of a referendum on Gotland. This actually gives those on Gotland a safer referendum voting because.. to be honest, even if we hosted a referendum now. I'm confident the residents would vote in favour of British oversight simply from stability alone. A time-frame of two years gives the Swedish Government the opportunity to prove itself for those on the island."

@Odinson
@Connor

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
Margot listens eagerly into the conversation before making a few notes...

"We can agree to a two year buffer before a referendum is held within Gotland. In the meantime I am eager to develop our relationship by use of common ground - as I said our Maritime Safety Initiative is at the forefront of Swedish politics at the moment and we'd be incredibly enthusiastic to have you involved in some form of joint effort to regional prosperity..."

Her eyes dart towards the Norwegians.

"Is this something Norway would be interested in being involved in? I know the media would certainly jump at the opportunity to common on the joint working of three neighbours"

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
"I would need to bring this up to the Prime Minister, and the Council of State, but cooperation between our coast guards could be something very fruitful," the Foreign Minister replied.

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"Of course, of course. It would be the first of its kind to my knowledge, commonly the focus is on the core military branches and the Coast Guard is often pushed to one side however part of our initiative is to almost adopt the Coast Guard as a method to alleviate some pressure from the Armed Forces and better use trained individuals within the maritime environment. A joint operation between the three of us is fantastic for our integrity as well as public reassurance in the region, needless to say we sit in some of the busiest European shipping corridors."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bruhlord89