STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
320px-Sân_bay_Nội_Bài.jpg

Noi Bai International Airport​

At Noi Bai International Airport representatives from Thailand, Korea, and Indonesia were being waited for. Trần Đức Lương, Nông Đức Mạnh, Lê Vĩnh Tân, Nguyễn Sinh Hùng, and Võ Hồng Phúc waited in a VIP designated area for their arrival. Rooms at the state guest house had been prepared for the guests, and a room had been made available for the meeting. A convoy had been made ready and three companies of soldiers had secured a route and the airport for security. All that was needed now was for the arrival of the invited guests.

Bossza007 Jay KangNa

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021
Minister of Foreign Affairs Surin Pitsuwan will board Thai McDonnell Douglas DC-10. The Thai McDonnell Douglas DC-10 would take off from Suvarnabhumi Airport flying at 39,000 ft above sea level with a cruise speed of 743 km/h.

After Vietnam permit to enter airspace and land, the airplane would land at the Noi Bai International Airport, where Vietnam has prepared it.

After the airplane has successfully landed at the Noi Bai International Airport, the Minister of Foreign affairs will leave a plane.

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
Greeting the first arrival of the day would be a red carpet treatment as well as a camera crew to record their arrival. With security off camera Trần Đức Lương, Nông Đức Mạnh, Lê Vĩnh Tân, Nguyễn Sinh Hùng, and Võ Hồng Phúc would be waiting for the Thai minister of foreign affairs to depart the aircraft. The Thai national anthem would be respectfully played upon their stepping off of the aircraft. Each of them would in order offer a handshake and bow to the guest. Each giving their own greeting as they were offered a seat at the VIP lounge that had been assembled. There they could wait for the rest to arrive. "Thank you for accepting our invitation to Hanoi. Your arrival is a great first step in this process we wish to undertake. As a founding member of the original ASEAN the significance of you arriving first cannot go unstated."

Bossza007

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
The Foreign Minister put down the phone. Looking up at her Chief of Staff, "How much longer till we land in Hanoi?" The Chief of Staff looked down at the schedule in front of her and responded, "If all goes well...we will be making our descent in the next fifteen minutes or so." The pilot would then signal the crew to prepare for landing before speaking on the intercom to inform the passengers of such. Inside her private office the Foreign Minister would review specific matters pertaining to Asian development and cooperation and her own notes for the meeting.

Separate meetings were held with the technical teams from trade, economics, and defense in that order. As they prepared their arrival, the Foreign Minister would take the time to have her clothes changed. Once the plane was allowed to make its final arrival, it would land on the tarmac. With the plane connector attached, the P.S.S. detail would first exit followed by diplomats, ministerial staff, technical teams, and other personnel. After which the Foreign Minister would exit the aircraft in her black dress and a black and white dupatta wrapped around her shoulders. As she descended her team would be on the ground alongside a translator.

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
Trần Đức Lương, Nông Đức Mạnh, Lê Vĩnh Tân, Nguyễn Sinh Hùng, and Võ Hồng Phúc would be told of the impending arrival and invite the Thai to come join them in welcoming the Koreans to Vietnam. Upon arrival they would be greeted by a camera crew and the Vietnamese. Out of sight from the cameras was of course the security detail. Each of the Vietnamese would offer a bow and a handshake as they came down from the airplane. The President of Vietnam Trần Đức Lương would greet them first."Welcome to Vietnam, and thank you for accepting our invitation." he would say. Now that both the Thai and Koreans has arrived they were ready to enter the convoy and go to the State Guest house where a conference room had been readied for the meeting to take place.

Luggage from the two planes that had arrived today would be handled by ground crew and rather gently loaded into the convoy for staff at the Guest House to offload when they arrived.

Jay Bossza007

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021
At the State Guest House, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Thailand Surin Pitsuwan would get to know both Korean and Vietnamese more by talking to them, and after they have finished the talked Surin Pitsuwan would ask Trần Đức Lương "Excuse me, when will the meeting begin? I am excited about the meeting, I have a lot to discuss, and we also have Korea here. I hope everything will be great at the end." The minister would make himself comfortable as well as make others comfortable around him.

HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"We can begin now. Please follow me." Trần Đức Lương would say to Surin Pitsuwan before leading both sets of guests and the other Vietnamese Officials to the conference room. There water was at the center of the table with glasses, and a fresh pot of tea as well as coffee had been made. It was green tea and the coffee had options for sugar and cream. Both were sourced locally from the area. The Vietnamese would take a seat at one end of the table.

"Thank you all for comming. We have much to discuss. I am hopeful that what is discussed here shall bloom into something wonderful." Trần Đức Lương said with a pause."So. Without further delay let us begin. I would like to open the floor to our friends from Thailand. As Thailand was a founding member of the original ASEAN I believe it to only be appropriate to allow them to start us off with what they wish to discuss."

Jay Bossza007

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021
"Thank you Mr. Trần Đức Lương" Surin Pitsuwan pause before continuing. "As a founding member of the original ASEAN, I am happy to see an ASEAN Plus summit is happening right now. I believe it is only possible for us to have a successful formation of ASEAN Plus we must first understand and rebuild ASEAN." He pauses for a second before continue. "The original ASEAN or Association of Southeast Asian Nations is an economic union that seeks to promote Intergovernmental cooperation and facilitates Economic, Political, Security, Military, Educational, and Sociocultural integration between its members and other countries in Asia." He pauses again before continuing.

"The original ASEAN's primary objective was to accelerate economic growth and through that social progress and cultural development. A secondary objective was to promote regional peace and stability based on the rule of law and the principle of United Nations charter." He pauses before continuing. "There is a Treaty of Amity and Cooperation in Southeast Asia which is a peace treaty among Southeast Asian countries established by the founding members of the original ASEAN with six principles as the following:
1. mutual respect for the independence, sovereignty, equality, territorial integrity, and national identity of all nations,
2. the right of every State to lead its national existence free from external interference, subversion or coercion,
3. non-interference in the internal affairs of one another,
4. settlement of differences or disputes by peaceful means,
5. renunciation of the threat or use of force, and
6. effective co-operation among themselves."
Surin Pitsuwan pause for a second before continuing. "I would like to hear both Korea and Vietnam's opinion on original ASEAN objectives and Treaty of Amity and Cooperation in Southeast Asia principle if anything should change to make everyone feel comfortable signing the ASEAN reformation declaration document, ASEAN Plus declaration, and Treaty of Amity and Cooperation in Southeast Asia at the end."

Jay HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"Yes, I have a few comments. If we are to follow the second objective of ASEAN which involved the rule of law and principles of the united Nations charter I believe it would be best if we based that now off of the GA or Global Assembly laws and charters as that is the current organization that has risen in it's place."

"As for promoting peace and regional stability based on such charters I and my fellows can fully endorse such a thing. I believe no changes are required there as that will help further promote our growth and friendship."

"So, in objective one I believe that we should focus on one part in particular. Economic growth. This we can do through supporting development projects in one anothers nations, sending trade resources where they are needed most, and finding lucrative trade deals outside of a potential trade zone. We of course should not abandon social progress and cultural development, but those will follow economic development I think."

"I think that the Treaty of Amity and Cooperation in Southeast Asia is mostly fine as is. There isn't really a need to modify it at this time. Ensuring peace between our nations is good. However, it was mentioned that one form of cooperation is military. Is there a known defense treaty we can have be a part of a future ASEAN? One that ensures that if one of us comes under threat, that other ASEAN members will assist."

"Also, for 'settlement of differences or disputes by peaceful means'. If I may ask, how would this affect the Spratly Island dispute? Malaysia, a founding member of the original ASEAN has claims on a number of the islands within the Spratly Islands. Currently they occupy Swallow Reef, Ardasier Reef, and Mariveles Reef. As a founding member of the original ASEAN they should be allowed to rejoin at any time. In such an event, how would this part of the peace agreement handle the dispute over the islands between two members?"

Jay Bossza007

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
Foreign Minister Baek: "I would like to begin by thanking our Vietnamese hosts for their diligence and care in hosting this summit. In its spirit and our continued understanding through Korean-Vietnamese relations, we see the vision Vietnam outlines with its desired goals of the reformed ASEAN+ formula. That of the Asian Century. One in which the powers of commerce, politics, and security return to Asia. I also thank Thailand, as a founding member, for their continued efforts for reviving the institutions which its great thinkers and policymakers helped formulate.

I wish to outline Korea's objection to replacing article 2 with the GA and its laws and charter. The Article serves a crucial component in why ASEAN works. Korea would voice its opposition to such a change, and avoid utilizing the Global Assembly or its organs and charter in the promulgation of a renewed ASEAN Charter. I would also add that ASEAN has never been intended to act as a defense alliance and to reinterpret its terms to create a defense network would be premature at this point. However, as outlined in Articles 11 & 12 the basis of a framework for advancing security cooperation is indeed laid.

I also do support the essence of Vietnam's statement regarding development, trade, and commerce. I do wish to add that as we are not abandoning social and cultural development, we should continue to put them at equal forefront and importance in the renewal of the Treaty and the creation of legislature and agreements. As per the settlement of disputes, I believe these conditions should be left to the specific high contracting parties which in their disputes as outlined in this treaty have agreed to renunciate the use of force to achieve their goals, engage in hostile actions, collaborate in actions deemed as hostile, and so forth. Thus, the status quo in its existence should, to our belief, be maintained and respected, until such a time where a peaceful resolution of the dispute may be reached. To which end, the ASEAN members may continue to play a positive role in its tradition of mediating and advancing the diplomatic process.

Korea does support a renewed charter and reimplementation of ASEAN. One in which, we hope, Korea may be able to take full membership of. In this renewed Charter, Korea, to its own wishes, hopes that ASEAN may exist in a separate sphere to existing regional and international bodies to allow for full autonomy in the actions of the Association on behest of its member states. In other words, ASEAN should rely on existing international bodies to fulfill portions of its charter, instead, all members must accede provisions to ASEAN including diplomatic protocols, common visa policy, and arbitration accords."

PREAMBLE
The High Contracting Parties:

CONSCIOUS of the existing ties of history, geography and culture, which have bound their peoples together;

ANXIOUS to promote regional peace and stability through abiding respect for justice and the rule or law and enhancing regional resilience in their relations;

DESIRING to enhance peace, friendship and mutual cooperation on matters affecting Southeast Asia consistent with the spirit and principles of the Charter of the United Nations, the Ten Principles adopted by the Asian-African Conference in Bandung on 25 April 1955, the Declaration of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations signed in Bangkok on 8 August 1967, and the Declaration signed in Kuala Lumpur on 27 November 1971;

CONVINCED that the settlement of differences or disputes between their countries should be regulated by rational, effective and sufficiently flexible procedures, avoiding negative attitudes which might endanger or hinder cooperation;

BELIEVING in the need for cooperation with all peace-loving nations, both within and outside Southeast Asia, in the furtherance of world peace, stability and harmony;

SOLEMNLY AGREE to enter into a Treaty of Amity and Cooperation as follows:

CHAPTER I
Purpose and Principles

Article 1
The purpose of this Treaty is to promote perpetual peace, everlasting amity and cooperation among their peoples which would contribute to their strength, solidarity and closer relationship;

Article 2
In their relations with one another, the High Contracting Parties shall be guided by the following fundamental principles :

1. Mutual respect for the independence, sovereignty, equality, territorial integrity and national identity of all nations;
  2. The right of every State to lead its national existence free from external interference, subversion or coercion;
  3. Non-interference in the internal affairs of one another;
  4. Settlement of differences or disputes by peaceful means;
  5. Renunciation of the threat or use of force;
  6. Effective cooperation among themselves.
CHAPTER II
Amity

Article 3
In pursuance of the purpose of this Treaty the High Contracting Parties shall endeavour to develop and strengthen the traditional, cultural and historical ties of friendship, good neighbourliness and cooperation which bind them together and shall fulfill in good faith the obligations assumed under this Treaty. In order to promote closer understanding among them, the High Contracting Parties shall encourage and facilitate contact and intercourse among their peoples.

CHAPTER III
Cooperation

Article 4
The High Contracting Parties shall promote active cooperation in the economic, social, technical, scientific and administrative fields as well as in matters of common ideals and asparation of international peace and stability in the region and all other matters of common interest.

Article 5
Pursuant to Article 4 the High Contracting Parties shall exert their maximum efforts multilaterally as well as bilaterally on the basis of equality, non-discrimination and mutuad benefit.

Article 6
The High Contracting Parties shall collaborate for the acceleration of the economic growth in the region in order to strengthen the foundation for a prosperous and peaceful community of nations in Southeast Asia. To this end, they shall promote the greater utilization of their agriculture and industries, the expansion of their trade and the improvement of their economic infrastructure for the mutual benefit of their peoples. In this regard, they shall continue to explore all avenues for close and beneficial cooperation with other States as well as international and regional organisations outside the region.

Article 7
The High Contracting Parties, in order to achieve social justice and to raise the standards of living of the peoples of the region, shall intensify economic cooperation. For this purpose, they shall adopt appropriate regional strategies for economic development and mutual assistance.

Article 8
The High Contracting Parties shall strive to achieve the closest cooperation on the widest scale and shall seek to provide assistance to one another in the form of training and research facilities in the social, cultural, technical, scientific and administrative fields.

Article 9
The High Contracting Parties shall endeavour to foster cooperation in the furtherance of the cause of peace, harmony, and stability in the region. To this end, the High Contracting Parties shall maintain regular contacts and consultations with one another on international and regional matters with a view to coordinating their views, actions and policies.

Article 10
Each High Contracting Parties shall not in any manner of form participate in any activity which shall constitute a threat tg the political and economic stability, sovereignty, or territorial integrity of another High Contracting Party.

Article 11
The High Contracting Parties shall endeavour to strengthen their respective national resilience in their political, economic, sociocultural as well as security fields in conformity with their respective ideals and aspirations, free from external interference as well as internal subversive activities in order to preserve their respective national identities.

Article 12
The High Contracting Parties in their efforts to achieve regional prosperity and security, shall endeavour to cooperate in all fields for the promotion of regional resilience, based on the principles of self-confidence, self-reliance, mutual respect, cooperation of solidarity which will constitute the foundation for a strong and viable community of nations in Southeast Asia.

CHAPTER IV
Pacific Settlement of Disputes

Article 13
The High Contracting Parties shall have the determination and good faith to prevent disputes from arising. In case dasputes on matters directly affecting them should arise, especiadly disputes likely to disturb regional peace and harmony, they shall refrain from the threat or use of force and shall at all times settle such disputes among themselves through friendly negotiations.

Article 14
To settle disputes through regional processes, the High Contracting Parties shall constitute, as a continuing body, a High Council comprising a Representative at ministerial level from each of the High Contracting Parties to take cognizance of the existence of disputes or situations likely to disturb regional peace and harmony.

However, this article shall apply to any of the States outside Southeast Asia which have acceded to the Treaty only in cases where that State is directly involved in the dispute to be settled through the regional processes.

Article 15
In the event no solution is reached through direct negotiations, the High Council shall take cognizance of the dispute or the situation and shall recommend to the parties in dispute appropriate means of settlement such as good offices, mediation, inquiry or conciliation. The High Council may however offer its good offices, or upon agreement of the parties in dispute, constitute itself into a committee of mediation, inquiry or conciliation. When deemed necessary, the High Council shall recommend appropriate measures for the prevention of a deterioration of the dispute or the situation.

Article 16
The foregoing provision of this Chapter shall not apply to a dispute unless all the parties to the dispute agree to their application to that dispute. However, this shall not preclude the other High Contracting Parties not party to the dispute from offering all possible assistance to settle the said dispute. Parties to the dispute should be well disposed towards such offers of assistance.

Article 17
Nothing in this Treaty shall preclude recourse to the modes of peaceful settlement contained in Article 33(l) of the Charter of the United Nations. The High Contracting Parties which are parties to a dispute should be encouraged to take initiatives to solve it by friendly negotiations before resorting to the other procedures provided for in the Charter of the United Nations.

CHAPTER V
General Provision

Article 18
This Treaty shall be signed by the Republic of Indonesia, Malaysia, the Republic of the Philippines, the Republic of Singapore and the Kingdom of Thailand. It shall be ratified in accordance with the constitutional procedures of each signatory State.

It shall be open for accession by other States in Southeast Asia.

States outside Southeast Asia may also accede to this Treaty with the consent of all the States in Southeast Asia, namely, Brunei Darussalam, the Kingdom of Cambodia, the Republic of Indonesia, the Lao People's Democratic Republic, Malaysia, the Union of Myanmar, the Republic of the Philippines, the Republic of Singapore, the Kingdom of Thailand and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.

Article 19
This Treaty shall enter into force on the date of the deposit of t'e fifth instrument of ratification with the Governments of the signatory States which are designated Depositories of this Treaty and the instruments of ratification or accession.

Article 20
This Treaty is drawn up in the official languages of the High Contracting Parties, all of which are equally authoritative. There shall be an agreed common translation of the texts in the English language. Any divergent interpretation of the common text shall be settled by negotiation.

HeadlessSeeker Bossza007

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021
"I agree with Korea's objection to replacing article 2 with the GA and its laws and charter. I agree with Vietnam on supporting development projects in one another nations, sending trade resources where they are needed most, and finding lucrative trade deals outside of a potential trade zone, and not abandon social progress and cultural development, As says in Article 6 that The High Contracting Parties shall collaborate for the acceleration of the economic growth in the region to strengthen the foundation for a prosperous and peaceful community of nations in Southeast Asia and they shall continue to explore all avenues for close and beneficial cooperation with other States as well as international and regional organizations outside the region.

I also agree with Korea's statement to put them at the equal forefront because the same priority can develop them more quickly.

We can follow Article 7 on adopting appropriate regional strategies for economic development and mutual assistance. We can also follow Article 8 on seeking to assist one another by training and research facilities in the social, cultural, technical, scientific, and administrative fields. We can also follow Article 9 on maintaining regular contacts and consultations with one another on international and regional matters to coordinate their views, actions, and policies.

We shouldn't in any manner or form participate in any activity which shall constitute a threat to the political and economic stability, sovereignty, or territorial integrity of another High Contracting Party as saying in Article 10. Based on Article 11, The High Contracting Parties shall endeavor to strengthen their respective national resilience in their political, economic, socio-cultural as well as security fields in conformity with their respective ideals and aspirations, free from external interference as well as internal subversive activities to preserve their respective national identities. We shall aid one another by their respective ideals and aspirations to free them from external interference as well as internal subversive activities to preserve their respective national identities.

As per the Pacific Settlement of Disputes, Article 13, they shall refrain from the threat or use of force and shall at all times settle such disputes among themselves through friendly negotiations. We can also follow Articles 14 & 15 to find a solution to any Disputes.

I agree with Korea's statement that ASEAN may exist in a separate sphere to existing regional and international bodies to allow for full autonomy in the actions of the Association at the behest of its member states.

Thailand doesn't have any objection right now, I believe the Treaty of Amity and Cooperation in Southeast Asia is fine, and it has said its purpose that we agree to it. Is there anything Vietnam and Korea want to add or make an objection? It will be the best outcome if we are open and honest with one another."

HeadlessSeeker Jay

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"Vietnam has no objection to the treaty as it is presented, and will only request that CHAPTER V General Provision be updated to include the present nations. Vietnam shall accept the rejection of the GA charter, and shall accept the adherence to the original charter. But, moving on from that and speaking on three points exactly I believe that a organ should be established with the founding of a new ASEAN+ for the direction of developing within this new ASEAN sphere. A fund established, with a body also established to discuss and direct development where nations can petition this body to allocate resources to projects. The organ would consist either of members of our currently existing development ministries... or be wholly separate. This way we can effectively steer this focus on our economic development and ensure a Asian Century."

"I would also like to have an amendment made to the old ASEAN+ model. One is which ASEAN+ Members are full members of ASEAN itself and can fully take part in the processes of ASEAN. However, this should only be limited to nations within Asia and possibly Oceana. Excluding possibly Russia due to the location of it's capital. This new renewed model would help bring in resources from all of Asia instead of just South East Asia. What are your thoughts on this?"

"Finally, as discussed outside of this meeting the creation of a organ for directing trade and resources where they need to go. This way we have the ability to respond quickly as a whole to the market, and the needs of each nation within our Sphere. This would also increase our trade power then if we were each individually acting within a trade zone. I believe this should be established with the reestablishment of the ASEAN Free Trade Area."

Jay Bossza007

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021
I agree with every statement made about Vietnam. Everything Vietnam proposes benefits Thailand and all of us, in my opinion. An organ that will be established with the establishment of a new ASEAN+ is an excellent idea. Anything will be a lot easier if we have an organ that aids in our development. For me, modifying the old ASEAN+ model is a fantastic idea. If we can bring all of Asia's resources together, we will be able to develop much more quickly. What is Korea's opinion? Korea, in my opinion, is a critical component of the ASEAN Plus model.

HeadlessSeeker
Jay

Feb 4, 2021
The Egyptian Foreign Minister would get out of the car and nod briefly, before entering the State Guest house. Instead of entering the conference room, he would whisper to the Ambassador, "You know, I can just wait outside, if you're currently in a meeting. I don't want to intrude..."

HeadlessSeeker

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
"Thank you Ministers." The Minister said as she read a chit on the recent situations developing in her absence. "Allow me to thank your governments for their kindness and openness for the role Korea can play. I speak on behalf of President Kim when I say that Korea is eager and excited for the rise of multilateral institutions in addressing the collective concerns of Asia. We have been raised with a number of important issues in the addressing of wide range of socio-economic issues and development problems. This I believe is

We completely support the more liberal approach of ASEAN+ with the members ASEAN representing the wider Asian continent from West to East. As for the technical side of things, I hope I may begin with advising on what Korea believes would be a strong arrangement for our proposed vision. Korea would likewise join in support of Vietnam's proposal for a free trade area. In this formula, the Asian Free Trade Area (AFTA) would only apply for goods and services produced or provided by members of the Free Trade Area under a unified rules of origin.

In a similar capacity, the AFTA would allow us to designate specific goods and services as covered for tariff-exempt transactions and a gradual phasing of completely eliminating tariffs amongst member of the trading bloc. Additionally, foreign re-exportation within member states would not apply without their headquarters in a member state. This we believe would be beneficial to avoid cheap outsourcing to member states to access what we hope will be the largest free trade area. Additionally this free trade area would allow existing free trade agreements to continue to exist unless we found it in ASEAN's interest to re-negotiate member states trade agreements with foreign entities. However, rather than bog down in what will be a multi-step process for negotiating this trade agreement, I am hopeful that we can see the possibilities of an enhanced and integrated ASEAN. Thank you."

Bossza007 HeadlessSeeker

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
Ambassador Tran Thanh Cong would shake his head before replying quietly in a similar fashion. "Not to worry, we specifically so that you may be here for the meeting itself. Egypt is incredibly important for trade, and one key aspect of ASEAN is trade. We want to make sure everyone is onboard with what we have already discussed." he would say before offering to open the door for the Egyptian Foreign Minister.

Thomas R. Jones

---

"This proposed vision for the Asian Free Trade Area is one that we can get behind. In fact I believe it may be key to economic and trade success. This vision would perhaps bypass the need for an organ that directs trade in such a direct manner, as then when a nations requires a resource it can simple acquire it in an easy fashion without the tariffs limiting this. Though I still firmly believe such an organ should be created for the benefits it provides as discussed prior."

"One thing I believe we should discuss so we may have it firmly in place is the area in which this Asian Free Trade Area extends. As it stands our nations do not share borders and the gaps between our waters are there. Should the free trade area be a continuous area, or with pockets to be filled in by future members? Also, while we allow ASEAN+ Members to have the rights and abilities of ASEAN members, what areas should be allowed into ASEAN+?"

Jay Bossza007

Bossza007

I am From Thailand
GA Member
World Power
May 4, 2021
"I feel that if we can eliminate tariffs among member countries, we can boost the efficiency of trade between them. I also believe that we can abolish the monopoly and have lower prices of goods, which would make trading easier, and I absolutely agree with it since commerce can be more capable.

I believe that the Free Trade Area should be a continuous area that may be enlarged by future member nations filling in more areas. I believe we can allow the area surrounding an ASEAN Plus member to be included in ASEAN Plus; at the very least, this will offer ASEAN Plus members more autonomy over themselves."

HeadlessSeeker Jay

Feb 4, 2021
The Minister nodded, and entered the conference room. He took a seat, and took out a pen and notepad- in case anything was said that was useful. For now he would simply listen, until something came up that he would reply on.

Jay

Dokkaebi
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
The Minister would say something into the room, only to realize that her microphone had not properly been turned on. She would of course be assisted by an aid who managed to fix the technical issue on the microphones side and the Minister proceeded. "I apologize for the technical error. I do believe that if we would like ASEAN to be the primary engine for trade in Asia, then, in its own capacity we must consider ceding aspects of our national sovereignty over the issues of trade relations to an organization of ASEAN. This of course Korea is happy to support for the wider vision of Pan-Asian cooperation and prosperity.

As for your second issue, regarding the long divide in territory, the free trade area would apply within the jurisdiction of Member States, their exclusive economic zones, maritime borders, territorial borders, etc...This would not be contingent on a land corridor to act as a zone of trade. Rather, the principles of freedom of movement for goods, services, and capital would be observed inside the free trade zone with an emphasis on economic as opposed to social interactions. Of course, we must also commit towards reducing the barriers of movement, which can be supplemented with an ASEAN Business Visa which can be readily be made available to our nationals.

As ASEAN membership hopefully expand, the charter and treaty of ASEAN including the Asian Free Trade Area would expand as well. As members sign the agreements, they would be subject to the terms and conditions of said agreements. To the specific point by Thailand, I wish to highlight that the trade relations can only go so far, and that breaking up monopolies and dealing with economic cartels is the prerogative of the State and one which each member state should strive to achieve. On the idea raised by Thailand, it could also work that different layers of ASEAN membership are created. One can be an Asian Free Trade Area member and not necessarily by an ASEAN member, one can be an ASEAN+ member and in the Free Trade Area, or one can be an ASEAN member, in essence, the agreements can be signed bilaterally between ASEAN as an institution and the contracting party.

HeadlessSeeker Bossza007

HeadlessSeeker

Professional
Jul 1, 2018
"Yes, I do believe you are correct. We will need to cede aspects of sovereignty if we are to ensure the success of our trade policies. This entity will be stronger if we all work closely together. So, perhaps the wording and some of the philosophy must change if we are to succeed drastically. Give power of this trade organ over our various ministrys in some way. Of course, this is something that a nation should choose to opt in or out of including the free trade area. The inclusion of a Business Visa to ensure a reduction of barriers is something we can agree to. Time and time again it has been shown that the less barriers there are, the greater the economic potential."

"I believe that this ceding of aspects of sovereignty can be applies to other things. Such as social progress and cultural development. So that we may tackle it as a whole rather then individual countries. Much like the suggestion earlier on directing development with a single organ."

"I would also like to bring up trade outside of ASEAN. Should ASEAN as a whole be responsible for say gaining access through the Suez canal or Panama Canal? Or should it be up to each individual member state? As I understand it Egypt has elected to let Vietnam use the Suez canal so long as an agreement is reached in regards to non interference. But, that would only be a single member as opposed to the whole."

Jay Bossza007 Thomas R. Jones

Todays Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaiser Willheim II