STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[Tanzania] Message to Italy

Tuzi

Tanzania
Aug 30, 2020

Ministry of Foreign Affairs
United Republic of Tanzania​

Classified and Encrypted

From: Minister of Foreign Affairs of Tanzania, Jakaya Kikwete

To: Minister of Foreign Affairs, The Italian Republic

Subject: Diplomatic and Economic Relations

Dear The Foreign Minister of the Italian Republic,

I would like to start off by congratulating you and your administration on successfully forming a government in Italy. It is a great pleasure to see Italy once again return to the global stage.

I am contacting yourself to open an official line of communication between our states, and to initiate talks exploring trade relations and areas of further partnerships.

We would like to discuss trade agreements between Italy and Tanzania. With increased globalisation and a growing consumer economy, demand for all resources has surged in recent decades. The exchange of our domestic produce would certainly compliment the economic needs of one another's state. We believe that Tanzanian raw materials have a perfect role to feed the developed and growing Italian economy, whilst Italian manufactured goods have a desired status in Tanzania's rapidly modernising markets.
Alongside this, we would also like to discuss the possibility of reaching a beneficial visa agreement, with the intention of boosting business and tourism, and further encouraging partnerships between institutions of higher-education. I hope this is something we can cooperate on.

I will look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

J. Kikwete

Minister of Foreign Affairs, E.A.C., Regional and International Cooperation
United Republic of Tanzania

Tim

Tim

Kingdom of the Netherlands
Dec 25, 2020
210px-Emblem_of_Italy.svg.png

Italian Republic

Private & Encrypted

Recipient: Jakaya Kikwete, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Tanzania Tuzi
Subject: RE: Diplomatic and Economic Relations

Dear Mr. Kikwete,

Thank you very much for your kind words. Italy is always interested in building relationship with other nation states and discussing trade agreements. I can be of help with setting up a proper line of communication including a diplomatic mission. Any talks of trade relations will have to go through my colleague Augusto Fantozzi, whom I will inform of your interest.

A new visa agreement could indeed be beneficial for us both, seeing as Tanzanian citizens require a pre-approved visa to enter Italy as tourist and how Italian citizens have a maximum visa time of three months in Tanzania. On this my ministry has a two main proposals:
- Allow visas on arrival for Tanzanian citizens visiting Italy as tourists;
- Create mutual education visas, allowing students to easily go abroad for a year and personnel to go even longer so they can learn from each other.

Let me know if you have any suggestions to these proposals or additions, of course the full details will need to be worked out by our ministries.

Yours Sincerely,

Lamberto Dini

Minister of Foreign Affairs
Italian Republic

Tuzi

Tanzania
Aug 30, 2020

Classified and Encrypted

To: Minister of Foreign Affairs of Italy, Lamberto Dini

Dear Minister Dini,

I am glad to hear of your willingness and enthusiasm in building bridges between our states.

I greatly appreciate you informing your Trade Minister of our trade interests. I shall contact Mr Fantozzi shortly.

As for visas, we appear to be on the same page. To clarify before going forward, as there is no existing visa agreement between Tanzania and Italy, Italian citizens are subject to the standard default visas when visiting Tanzania. These visas range from short-term tourist stays to long-term residencies. Information on Tanzania's current visas can be found here: Department of Visas and Immigration.
As well as yourself, we also want to focus on tourists visas and students visas:
  1. The issuing of tourist visas upon arrival to the nation - Tanzanian citizens to Italy, and Italian citizens to Tanzania - is a component we also desire, so this we can agree on. Due to current transportation links between Italy and Tanzania, I think it is appropriate to assume that these visas will primarily be issued at the airports.
  2. Alongside this, we also wish to offer Italian citizens the ability to enter Tanzania for tourism without a visa for up to 30 days stay. We would waive the need for a tourist visa for the first 30 days and, subsequently, the only documentation Italian tourists would require is a valid passport. The need of a tourist visa would only be required should the individual(s) intentions to stay exceed 30 days, for which they would require a standard T2 Tourist Visa.
  3. Tanzania currently already operates 2 types of students visa, short stays up to 6 months and long stays up to 2 years. However, we support the idea of a exclusive Italian-Tanzanian Student Visa. May I suggest an alternative to the 1 year time period you proposed - I suggest that this student visa have greater flexibility with its time period, and rather have a pre-set stay, have the stay fixed directly to the period of education. I propose this due to the wide range of study durations offered by educational institutions, especially in higher education; the shortest being students exchanges starting at 5 months and the longest being fully-enrolled courses of up to 4 years, with other undergraduate, master and doctoral degrees falling anywhere in-between. This will be just as easy to implement, as the applicant can simply provide an admission/pre-admission certificate from their educational institution to the visa department during an application, and their visa time-period can be adjusted accordingly by the relevant authorities.
  4. We would also like to suggest that those on a student visa have the right to seek paid employment, especially those who are in education for longer periods. The aim of this is to reduce the financial hardships for international students, and to reduce student drop-out rates due to financial difficulties.
I hope this is something that be agreeable to you.

Sincerely,

J. Kikwete

Classified and Encrypted

To: Minister of Foreign Trade of Italy, Augusto Fantozzi

Subject: Trade Relations

Dear Minister Fantozzi,

I hope you are well and I congratulate your administration on forming a government.

I have been referred onto yourself by your colleague in order to discuss the subject of trade and economic cooperation. We would like to evaluate the possibility of exporting our domestically-produced resources to Italy, and to import Italian products.
Our primary exports include: metals (Tin, Iron, Nickel); coffee; cotton; gold and phosphates.

We believe these commodities have the perfect place in the Italian markets and I hope you can agree. I will look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

J. Kikwete

Tim

Reactions: Jay

Tim

Dec 25, 2020

Italian Republic

Private & Encrypted

Dear Mr. Kikwete,

Your additional information for tourists sounds fully agreeable, and our existing visa facilities at all international airports should be able to take care of this process. For education I also agree with your stated proposal, but would like to add an additional 2 weeks before and after the semester for stays up to one (1) year, and one month for stays longer than one year so students can get settled.

To encourage partnerships between our institutions of higher education I would like to propose for us to send a delegation consisting of our Ministry of Education together with seniors of our universities on a state visit, however this will have to wait for the December break as all education will have already started. If this is something your administration is interested in I will inform our Minister of Education and he will contact you in November/December to plan this visit.

Please inform me if there is anything else to discuss before we reach a formal agreement.

Yours Sincerely,

Lamberto Dini

Italian Republic

Italian Republic

Private & Encrypted

Subject: RE: Trade Relations

Dear Mr. Kikwete,

Thank you for your message. Opening up a trade route between our countries seems mutually beneficial and I am happy to cooperate to work out such a trade route.

On behalf of Italy I would like to express interest in the following resources: Metals, Coffee and Gold. Italy exports mainly Refined Petroleum, Pharmaceuticals, Vehicles and Vehicle Parts, Industrial Machinery and Jewellery. Please inform me which of those your administration is interested in receiving and I will look further into a possible trade route.

Yours Sincerely,

Augusto Fantozzi

Minister of Foreign Trade
Italian Republic

Tuzi

Tanzania
Aug 30, 2020

Classified and Encrypted

Dear Minister Dini,

That is perfect; we understand and agree to the student visa time extension either side of the applicants study periods. I have attached the a written proposal detailing all we have agreed to so far.

Tourist Visas
  1. The Government of the Italian Republic will permit Tanzanian citizens to apply for and be granted an Italian Tourist Visa upon arrival to Italy.
  2. The Government of the United Republic of Tanzania will permit Italian citizens to apply for and be granted a Tanzanian Tourist Visa upon arrival to Tanzania.
  3. The Government of the United Republic of Tanzania will permit Italian citizens to enter visa-free for up to 30 days for tourism and tourist-related purposes.

Education/Student Visas
  1. Establishment of an exclusive Italian-Tanzanian Student Visa.
  2. The duration of the visa is dependant on the length of enrolment at the educational institution, with the stay period being the same as the duration of enrolment. For study periods up to one year, an additional 14 days of stay will be added before and after the dates of enrolment and graduation. For study periods exceeding one year, an additional 31 days of stay will be added before and after the dates of enrolment and graduation.
  3. Recipients of the Italian-Tanzania Student Visa have the right to work in the issuing nation, subjected to laws and legislation of the respective nation.

This agreement comes into effect immediately following the signing by the appointed representatives of the Italian Republic and the United Republic of Tanzania.
Should either party wish to alter or terminate the agreement, a minimum of one months notice to the other signatory is required.

Signed: Jakaya Kikwete

Signed:
Italian Republic

We are indeed interested in participating in hosting a delegation from your Education Ministry. We would be prepared to host such event whenever you deem most suitable.

Sincerely,

J. Kikwete

Classified and Encrypted

Dear Minister Fantozzi,

We can with great pleasure facilitate the export of metals, coffee and gold to Italy. Of the resources you mentioned, we are most interested in vehicle and vehicles parts, industrial machinery and jewellery.

What port will the destination of these Tanzanian products be? On our side, the Port of Dar Es Salaam will handle all trade.

Alongside this, at what interval do you wish to exchange these goods? We would prefer shipments to occur on a weekly basis, however we are more than willing to accept fortnightly or monthly shipment should you find that it better suits yourself.

Sincerely,

J. Kikwete

Tim

Tim

Dec 25, 2020

Italian Republic

Private & Encrypted

Dear Mr. Kikwete,

The proposed Visa Agreement looks good. Thank you for formalizing our points in such a way. Attached is the final version signed by me.
I am very glad to hear that you are welcoming of an Education Delegation. When the time is ready for the delegation our Minister of Education will contact your administration for further details.

If there is anything more you want to discuss, please reply and otherwise I want to thank you for this friendly correspondence and I want to wish you and your country the best.

Yours Sincerely,

Lamberto Dini

Italian Republic

Tourist Visas
  1. The Government of the Italian Republic will permit Tanzanian citizens to apply for and be granted an Italian Tourist Visa upon arrival to Italy.
  2. The Government of the United Republic of Tanzania will permit Italian citizens to apply for and be granted a Tanzanian Tourist Visa upon arrival to Tanzania.
  3. The Government of the United Republic of Tanzania will permit Italian citizens to enter visa-free for up to 30 days for tourism and tourist-related purposes.

Education/Student Visas
  1. Establishment of an exclusive Italian-Tanzanian Student Visa.
  2. The duration of the visa is dependant on the length of enrolment at the educational institution, with the stay period being the same as the duration of enrolment. For study periods up to one year, an additional 14 days of stay will be added before and after the dates of enrolment and graduation. For study periods exceeding one year, an additional 31 days of stay will be added before and after the dates of enrolment and graduation.
  3. Recipients of the Italian-Tanzania Student Visa have the right to work in the issuing nation, subjected to laws and legislation of the respective nation.

This agreement comes into effect immediately following the signing by the appointed representatives of the Italian Republic and the United Republic of Tanzania.
Should either party wish to alter or terminate the agreement, a minimum of one months notice to the other signatory is required.

Signed: Jakaya Kikwete

Signed: Lamberto Dini
Italian Republic

Italian Republic

Private & Encrypted

Dear Mr. Kikwete,

All our imports and exports go through the Port of Gioia Tauro. Weekly shipments as per your preference sounds good for us. Which type of ship would you prefer to use, if you have any preference? And who should be responsible for the production and maintenance of these ships?

The export deal as proposed is attached to this mail. This will lead to a nett tariff of $14,050,000 owed to Italy for every shipment. Our proposal is to transfer these funds monthly, four weeks of tariffs every month and five weeks of tariffs every three months to account for the uneven distribution of weeks in months. Because of this tariff Italy is prepared to pay a larger share of the production and maintenance costs of the ships, however the exact amount is dependent on the ships chosen.

Yours Sincerely,

Augusto Fantozzi

Italian Republic

1997 Trade agreement
Article I.
1. Three ships will sail from the port of Gioia Tauro, Italy to Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania and back every (1) week.
2. Italy will load the following resources onto the ships:
a. Vehicles and vehicle parts
b. Industrial machinery
c. Jewellery​
3. Tanzania will load the following resources onto the ships:
a. Metals
b. Coffee
c. Gold​
4. The nett tariffs will be transferred monthly for all four weeks of that month, with a fifth week every three months.
5. [Italy/Tanzania] will be responsible for the purchase and upkeep of the vessels.
6. The costs of the purchase and upkeep will be shared [UNDETERMINED] by Italy and Tanzania.

Last edited:

Tuzi

Tanzania
Aug 30, 2020

Classified and Encrypted

Dear Minister Dini,

This is perfect. I am glad we were able to make an agreement in such a short space of time.

I have no further subject I wish to discuss currently, so I'll look forward to cooperating with you in the future and welcoming your delegation.

Sincerely,

J. Kikwete

Classified and Encrypted

Dear Minister Fantozzi,

Excellent. We have coordinated a suitable maritime route to and from the Port of Dar Es Salaam and the Port of Gioia Tauro. From Dar Es Salaam to Gioia Tauro, the route shall be KI-LI-LJ-LK-KK-KL-KM-JM, and the route from Gioia Tauro to Dar Es Salaam shall be JM-KM-KL-KK-LK-LJ-LI-KI.
We currently operate a merchant fleet with the available capacity to handle both the Tanzanian and Italian shipments. The ships we have available to transport these resources are a number of Oakglen-class carriers, and we are expected to receive German-made Hapag-Lloyd Kobe Express-Class vessels within the coming days. We will likely use three Express-class vessels to conduct the trade and can arrange for a return journey to transport Italian goods.

Our Bureau of Trade and Customs Authority has been known to turn a blind eye to the collection of trade tariffs in order to further encourage cross-border economic ventures. Nevertheless, since you insist on collecting tariffs from us, the total tariffs owed to Tanzania is $2,950,000 per month.
However, if not to be so bold, I must challenge the net tariff sum of $14,050,000 per shipment you have quoted. It has come to my attention that on the International Exports Registrar, Italian tariffs are advertised on a per monthly bases rather than a per shipment. We proposed and entered trade talks based of this document which was approved and signed by yourself. Therefore, based off of this document, $17,000,000 USD should be paid per month in tariffs, rather than the monthly total of $68,000,000 (for 9 months) to $85,000,000 (for 3 months) that is stated in your proposal.
I would like it if you could clarify this for me, as we cannot justify spending anywhere near the figure of $867,000,000 annually in tariffs to Italy alone. To make matters clearer from our perspective, with this calculated annual sum and taking into account the predicted income to the Tanzanian economy from the trade of these goods, it appears that such trade agreement is far more likely to act as a drain on the Tanzanian economy than a catalyst for its growth, therefore it is not something we can approve. Consequently, I hope you can understand my concern.

Sincerely,

J. Kikwete

Tim

Tim

Dec 25, 2020

Italian Republic

Private & Encrypted

Dear Minister Kikwete,

The route you proposed and the use of Hapag-Lloyd Kobe Express-Class vessels sounds agreeable to us.

The initial proposal was just that, a first time proposal and I had not taken a possible deal regarding tariffs into that, but we are of course willing to discuss such a deal. Please let me apologize for the mistake in the monthly-weekly tariff, it was a human mistake from my department and I did not catch it. Let me apologize for the concern this has raised with you.

The monthly tariff is indeed $17,000,000-$2,950,000 = $14,050,000, leading to a yearly of $168,600,000 which sounds way more reasonable.

Once again let me apologize for this mistake, and I hope this clears up everything.

Yours Sincerely,

Agusto Fantozzi

Italian Republic

Tuzi

Tanzania
Aug 30, 2020

Classified and Encrypted

Dear Minister Fantozz,

That's good to hear.

I completely understand the error; I am glad its been clarified. The annual sum of $168,000,000 is certainly more in region of what we expected.

Since we're operating the vessels, we will submit the necessary paperwork as soon as possible.

To summarise the logistics of the agreement:

Port of Dar Es Salaam to the Port of Gioia Tauro
-
Metals
- Coffee
- Gold
Route: KI-LI-LJ-LK-KK-KL-KM-JM
Schedule: Weekly

Port of Gioia Tauro to the Port of Dar Es Salaam (Return journey)
- Vehicles and vehicle parts
- Industrial machinery
- Jewellery
Route: JM-KM-KL-KK-LK-LJ-LI-KI.
Schedule: Weekly

Once you have confirmed, we will submit the paperwork to commence the trade.

Sincerely,

J. Kikwete

Tim

Tim

Dec 25, 2020

Italian Republic

Private & Encrypted

Recipient: Jakaya Kikwete, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Tanzania < Tuzi >

Dear minister Kikwete,

The details you mentioned looks in order and we look forward to receiving the goods. Do you have any preference on how you want to handle the payment of tariffs? Since the paperwork will take some time I suggest starting payment from December, since no or only one or two ships will sail this month which we can ignore as. Do you want to pay for several months at once or pay on a monthly basis?

Please let me know so I can confirm all the details for our administration.
Yours Sincerely,

Agusto Fantozzi

Italian Republic

Tuzi

Tanzania
Aug 30, 2020

Classified and Encrypted

Dear Minister Fantozz,

Perfect. The vessels should be prepared to set sail on the 1st of December.

As for the tariff payments, the start of every month appears suitable to us. I will arrange for the transfer of funds for December as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

J. Kikwete

Tim

Tim

Dec 25, 2020

Italian Republic

Private & Encrypted

Recipient: Jakaya Kikwete, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Tanzania < Tuzi >

Dear Minister Kikwete,

Thank you very much for the confirmation. I look forward to receiving the Tanzanian goods. The start of every month sounds agreeable to us. If at any point your government is unable to make this deadline please let us know as we are always able to make adjustments under special circumstances.

I believe we have nothing else to discuss so I want to thank you for your assistance and I look forward to further cooperating with you in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

Agusto Fantozzi

Italian Republic

Todays Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaiser Willheim II