STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: February

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 31/03/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

Transit Map/System Issue

Owen

Commonwealth of Australia
GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
Hi yeah I'm back, this is my first suggestion as I only realised it now that I'm Canada and my geography has changed but there's a huge issue with the transit map and the system as a whole I guess.

It doesn't take into account the earth is a spheroid. For example, on that map it would take me a solid few days to sail from Ellesmere Island to Russia, but in reality the distance is not that much as well. Also the projection is a bit screwed and I learn this as I major in Geography and Spatial Sciences, the projection is at least not Mercator but it's not Galls-Peter either it's somewhere in between and the sizes of areas nearer to the poles are still relatively enlarged compared to their realistic size. I suggest we make a transit system based more on realism, where's we calculate distance from point A to B and factor in the speed of the ship/aircraft, because it also diminishes the possibility of an aircraft travelling at Mach 3 (blackbird) to get to a destination a lot quicker than a conventional aircraft (737).

This clip should explain the issues with the map projection a bit more clearly:

JamieA

Kingdom of Denmark
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
I disagree. The system has been fine for the past god knows how many years. You shouldn't fix something that doesn't need to be fixed.

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
Yeah but if I want to invade Russia by the Arctic do some exploration in the Arctic I can see it being a problem. That being said I don't recall anyone transiting the Arctic or Antarctica in a military operation, so it's obviously never been brought up, but even in areas close to the poles it would add significant more time than how long it would actually take.

JamieA

Kingdom of Denmark
GA Member
Oct 3, 2018
You basically just agreed with me..It doesn't need to be fixed. It's worked for x amount of years, just leave it as it is.

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
I said no one has done it, but that's not to say it won't happen.

Bruno

GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
I feel like you seen General Binkov video about Russia v Canada and using the ice cap as a land bridge. But I think the system is fine for now. If you can come up with a improvement we are all ears

Naio90

Federal Republic of Ethiopia
Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
I've been using Antarctica in military ops and training for some time now and had never any trouble.

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
I feel like you seen General Binkov video about Russia v Canada and using the ice cap as a land bridge. But I think the system is fine for now. If you can come up with a improvement we are all ears

I literally came up with an improvement. You didn't even read it did you :'(

Owen

GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
I've been using Antarctica in military ops and training for some time now and had never any trouble.

Have you even flown across it though from say Argentina to like Australia? You look at that map and because it's flat and doesn't assume the earth is a spheroid it completely distorts the actual flying distance.

Naio90

Federal Republic of Ethiopia
Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
I'm aware of that problem, but given the amount Of roleplay affected by it (very little) its too much work to be worth at this point. As someone pointed out before, mods and admins have currently a lot of stuff going on and pending.

Hollie

Admin
Jun 20, 2018
MODERN NATIONS NOTIFICATION
THIS SUGGESTION DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH INTEREST

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darren