STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

APPROVED [GA] Resolution on Antarctica

Vote on the Resolution for Antarctica

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManBear

GA Member
May 22, 2020
Andrej took the opportunity to seat down in the chair before pulling his own packet of papers out. He flipped through them skimming the highlights of the Resolution before looking at the delegate.

Strix

Vitória! Vitória!
May 7, 2019
Clemente Rollo Wembly would attend the chamber, greeting everyone present. He would wave to the Brazilian representative before settling down in his seat and opening up his briefcase. He would read the draft and take notes.

GingeOrCringe

Junior
Apr 5, 2020
Ostap Antonovych Ilchuk would enter the chamber carrying his folder under his arm and three cups of coffee in a to-go tray. None of it had been his idea, but it did feel nice to do something small for other people. He would set one cup next to the Polish ambassador with a smile as he walked by. Then he halted for a moment, looked down at the coffee, then around the room again... He didn't see the Russian delegate anywhere. He was sure to be on the receiving end of judgmental looks if he had two cups of coffee just for himself...

But there was the US delegate! What better way to make a newcomer feel welcome than to give them a delicious, caffeinated, breakfast drink? Ostap made certain he was leaving the cup with the hidden note at his own desk. He would wait until it seemed like the American and the Swede had ended their whispered conversation before shuffling over to Ambassador Adams.

Ostap held out the cup somewhat abruptly, but thankfully nothing spilled. "Welcome to the GA, bye!" If the American didn't immediately take the cup, Ostap would set it on the desk for him. He would retreat to his own desk as swiftly as possible, being unsure of the time and not wanting to delay the resolution by remaining unseated. If he had an extra minute, he would review the highlighted copy of the proposal in his folder.

ManBear Odinson

ManBear

GA Member
May 22, 2020
As the Ukrainian Representative walked by and placed a cup of coffee next to him on the next, he turned and said "Spasybi, Representative Ilchuk." He would return to his briefing before grabbing the cup and taking a small sip of it.

Odinson

GA Member
World Power
Jul 12, 2018
"Oh, than-" was all the Ambassador could see before he watched the Ukrainian scurry away to his seat. Adams shrugged and sipped the coffee - he was very pleased to see that the coffee was black, which was how he liked it.

Hollie

Admin
Jun 20, 2018

Global Assembly

" Good morning. Many of you will have had a rumbustious few days at the summit, addressing various regional conflicts.
With that swiftly brought to a close, we must focus our efforts on deciding the future of the continent and the challenges
we know we face. Thank you all for attending in advance for what we know will be a very productive year. Before we start
we must express to our esteemed Ambassadors, the seating arrangement is alphabetical and you can view the charts on
arrival. We are joined by Ambassador Cardona of Argentina, who will share the same privileges as any member-state for
the duration of this assembly. Please let me introduce our first speaker, Australian Ambassador, Mrs. Penelope Wensley "

Owen

Owen

Commonwealth of Australia
GA Member
Jul 2, 2018
"Thank you Mr. Secretary General,

We are gathered here today in the great pursuit of exploration and science. The resolution we have proposed aims to relieve the tensions which have plagued the Antarctic continent and to provide some clarity and international law into this, the last piece of unclaimed territory in the world. We have gone decades without clear agreements on Antarctica and it has been costly as we saw with the collision of a Swedish Navy ship and Argentine research vessel. This tension cannot continue and we must, it is imperative that we find a solution and a workable agreement for all of those with vested interests in the continent.

Now the resolution may not be perfect and we are open to amendments but we believe it is the best way forward for Antarctica. For use of scientific purposes only, to be completely demilitarised and as a result, remain the unrecognised sovereign territory of no nation. That is the best way forward of ensuring there is no conflict.

Thank you."

Naio90

Federal Republic of Ethiopia
Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
"Argentina supports Australia's position on the need for a long term solution. We just saw what suddent unilateral actions and attempts to militarize the continent generates. We have nations that have been active in antarctic affairs and with boots on the ground for decades, if not centuries. Those nations are the best suited for taking decisions on this matter.

We would also like to suggest to establish SAR responsibility areas, that would result in the partition of antarctic waters into sectors, assigned to nations that operate in the area due to proximity and can provide easy and quick maritime rescue capabilities.
"

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"We thank the former Australian representative for presenting this resolution, there are many points that need to be discussed and this should be done motion by motion to ensure that we stabilise Antarctica into a stronghold of scientific interest. At present Antarctica, in line with the Global Assembly charters, remains sovereign territory of the Kingdom of Sweden - I am committed to ensuring that historical claims are returned to their rightful claimants as represented here today; Britain and Argentina with the territory of Norway reserved for the arrival of the representative of their government and the current non-member states of Chile, New Zealand and Australia having the option to restore their territorial claim in some capacity, should their government wish to.

I agree with the motion put forward by the Argentina Special Representative that first and foremost the dissection of Antarctic waters is probably the most sensible option; I think this should coincide with territorial claim which I present in the form of this document."

A document is passed around the room for the representatives viewing.

"As you can see the historic claims of each nation are denoted with the Kingdom of Sweden retaining sovereign territory over unrepresented states in the interest of scientific advancement however, still differentiating their claim should their governments wish to restore, as mentioned earlier. The SAR responsibility zones should extend from these territorial borders through to the internationally recognised territorial waters of 22 nautical miles from the coastline and extended responsibility, with consideration to legal limitations, through international waters up to the 60th parallel south. This ensures that the waters surrounding the entirety of Antarctica are covered which fundamentally preserves the health and safety of passing civilian traffic in an otherwise uninhabited region."

GREY: Historic Claims (unrepresented in the Global Assembly or no expression of interest)
RED: United Kingdom
GREEN: Argentina (jointly-administered with the United Kingdom)
BLUE: Sweden
YELLOW: United States of America
Note: Jointly administrated zone of the United States of America and Sweden in the south.

Naio90

Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
"I am concerned with some aspects of this document. First of all, in the remarks you speak of "south", but when we are speaking on Antartica, and using this projection, everything is technically "north" of the southpole. Could you please clarify what wou mean witn the US/Sweden jointly administrated zone?

This leads to my second question... We have no information on any US territorial claim, or recent US activity in Antarctica that could possibly justify this sudden appearence. The United States are no historic claimant, and if even remotely that case, this would give the Russian Federation the same rights to make a claim on the area you are assigning to the USA.

Finally, under your proposal, Sweden basically gets to keep more than 50% of the continent, for itself? Is this correct?

Also, I would like to request for South Africa to be included in this debate, given it is a nation that has an antarctic projection, operates an antarctic gateway, and could also give the opportunity for Africa to benefit from the science and research Antarctica has to offer.
"

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"The document provides an illustrated example of the jointly administrated zone in blue and yellow hashed - this covers the historically New Zealand territorial claim which, as depicted in the photograph in grey, is still recognised and upon a New Zealand government coming forward will reserve the right to communicate their intention of return to the continent. As previously communicated in the Antarctic Summit, which many nations appeared to be interested in, the Kingdom of Sweden will recognise the historic claims and maintain sovereign territory until such a time those nations come forward with an interest to resume their territory.

Historically the United States of America have been committed to Antarctic research, it is important that as part of this resolution we avoid unclaimed territory and/or misnomers; you are correct in that the Russian Federation is too an advocate of Antarctic exploration however they have displayed their lack of interest in the continent by not only be absent for the Antarctic Summit but now also not attending this chamber for the resolution. The United States however is present and the most appropriate recipient of this territory given their past in the region.

Special Representative, you are here due to your inclusion in the Antarctic Crisis and your historic claims in the region; South Africa has had no involvement, holds no historic claim on the continent and is not a member of the Global Assembly - their input has no relevance in this circumstance, however, should they was to execute scientific research in the continent they are more than welcome to confront any one of the nations here today with a claim in Antarctica... perhaps even yourself."

Naio90

Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
"Do the United States have a voice by themselves? We have yet to hear them speak, let alone express their interest and try to justify them. It has been years since the US was on Antarctica and the only proof we have is Sweden talking about this.

As for South Africa, paraphrasing you... "the US has had no involvement in the recent crisis and holds no historic claim on the continent". We do not see why the US, a northern hemisphere nation, thousands of kilometers away, such as Sweden, should have any right on Antarctica, while at the same tie leaving southern nations such as South Africa, and therefore denying an entire continent the benefits of antarctic presence, while reserving the continent for the "usual powers". South Africa was one of the original signataries of the Antarctic Treaty as well.

Africa deserves to be present and cannot be excluded from this talks.

Antarctica is not for Sweden to manage and share among their friends, Antarctica belongs to the nations who had historic claims and permanent presence and have direct links and access to it.
"

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"They certainly do, I am unsure why you're being hostile, you directed your question towards me...

The distance from the continent is completely irrelevant, after all our good friends in Great Britain retain a claim and is too a European state at a significant distance from Antarctica. I am unsure where South Africa has come from but let me reassure you that your position here is to restore peace in the region and negotiate a fair and diplomatic resolution to the crisis by means of Global Assembly resolution - your lack of membership will not bring the chamber to disrepute by inviting every Tom, Dick and Harry to have their say - this chamber is for the Global Assembly member states to ensure we are all held accountable for our actions; South Africa chose not to be a member.

You appear to be mistaken on the power of the Global Assembly, Special Representative; Antarctica remains sovereign territory of the Kingdom of Sweden and this assembly does not have the power to revoke that. I will remind you that the Kingdom of Sweden has willingly returned historic claims, as you requested, yet you are still unhappy? From the get go, Special Representative, you have made yourself appear more and more like a power-grabbing state with a desire to be on the global stage.

We are here to negotiate, not argue. If you have some constructive criticism then provide it with some form of alternative, instead of just moaning about what others bring to the table."

Hollie

Admin
Jun 20, 2018

Global Assembly

" Unfortunately, the Swedish Ambassador would be correct in saying this organisation is for member-states. You've been granted privileges
because of your significance in the Antarctic region. It's important we reach a compromise for peace and security to be ensured. We cannot
welcome more observer states because our focus is to guarantee the interests of our members; not of states who have no interest joining. "

Naio90 and Connor

Naio90

Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
"Argentina does not recognize, or care, about any swedish claim on Antarctica, as we already made very clear in the past. Nevertheless, we are hear to settle this issue diplomatically, but the first thing we see is Sweden trying to "invite" and assign antarctic territory to nations who do not have a historic claim.

You cannot pretend to have a lasting and sustainable solution to the antarctic issue if you ignore nations who do have valid antarctic presence while at the same time inviting and giving territory to nations who to not have claims by themselves or have even spoken in this meeting yet.

Our position is easy, stop handing out antarctic territory to your friends and start recognizing the historic presence of southern nations on Antarctica.

And finally, you are not the best person to speak of power-grabbing, claiming an ENTIRE continent out of the blue... By the way, have your companies already payed the debts to Egypt as ordered by the ICJ? Or are you going to keep on abusing and exploiting african and other southern nations?
"

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"I will repeat my earlier sentiment Special Representative; if you have a solution, please provide it, right now you are just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. We have already returned all former historic claims to their rightful owners... what more is there you're actually asking for because you're asking for articles already agreed? Are you just refusing to listen?

Secretary General, the Argentine Special Representative is raising matters in relation to a civil legal dispute between private Swedish organisations, this is not a matter for the Antarctic Resolution and much more is of no relevance to the Swedish government; I call for you to interject here and get us back on track, please."

Hollie

Alex

Kingdom of Greece
Apr 16, 2019
The Canadian Representative would stand and make his opinion known. "Enough, this is a summit and a resolution within the Global Assembly, not some group therapy. We are here to find a peaceful and lasting solution to Antarctica, not discuss our disagreement between states so let us not degrade into verbal battle within the chamber.

While I would understand Sweden's stance in saying that 'the distance from the continent is irrelevant to the claim', it doesn't quite make sense to me... Unlike Sweden and the United States for example, Great Britain has islands near the continent such as the South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands and for you, dear Swedish Representative to state that Great Britain is significantly far from the continent is entirely false because of those very islands - I do not believe that Sweden understands the geography nor the politics of the continent's position nor of the nations surrounding it and this proposed map of Antarctica that Sweden has shown us is bound to create nothing more than future instability in the nations near the Antarctic. For the purpose of putting this bullshit behind us, I must agree with the Argentine Representative here: the only way that this resolution will bring lasting peace is if all the nations with founded claims receive a 'slice of the cake', if you will.

That is why I must make a hard stance in saying that Great Britain, Argentina, South Africa, France, Australia, and New Zealand are all nations with greater claims than the United States and must therefore have their own territory within the continent to avoid any future enemy to the world's peace."

Naio90

Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
"Our point is, if Sweden already disregarded international legislation and decisions backed by the GA, what guarantee do we have that it will abide to the General Assembly's Resolution on Antarctic Affair?

As for the "disagree to disagree", I stated in my last intervention what our suggestion is. Let all antarctic actors participate in the talk, to reach a solution that respects and values all actors, and not only those that Sweden wants.
"

Connor

Kingdom of Sweden
GA Member
Jul 23, 2018
"Your point is completely unfounded, Argentine Special Representative, if you are so concerned about violation of the Global Assembly why the hell are you here? You are murderers in my eyes, we're here to negotiate with murderers. If that's not humiliating enough, we are debating with a non-member state.

I am unsure what both of you are referring to and I'm not sure how much clearer I can make this; Great Britain, Argentina, France, Australia and New Zealand have had their territory returned, those unrepresented in the Global Assembly and with no interest in the continent at present are highlighted in grey and have the right, upon their government coming to stand they will have the right to have their 'slice of the cake' returned. You are both completely ignoring me."

Naio90

Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
"If we use our memory we will all see that the sitution in Antarctica was quiet and peaceful, until Sweden decided otherwise. We are here because we want to fix the mess the Kingdom of Sweden created by claiming an entire continent and ignoring historic claims. So, Sweden is the sole responsable of the death of its people in Antarctica.

You cannot act as the colonial overlord and then go crying because people don't play along. If that is the case, you should have stayed in your cold little corner in Scandinavia. Ambassador, the time of colonialism is over.

Argentina will not accompany ANY Resolution that includes handing out territory to some nations that have no historic claim on Antarctica while at the same time denying participation of other southern nations.

I must insist, Mr. Secretary General, for the sake of the debate and legitimacy of this Debate, to include all antarctic actors. If we leave them out, this will only result in them potentially being in disagreement with the Resolution and in that case we might be back to square 1.

The Global Assembly is no longer a body that includes all independent nations of the globe, and if we want to find a solution that is VIABLE for all, you must recognize the existance of other non-GA member interests on this affair.
"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todays Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bruhlord89