STATISTICS

Start Year: 1995
Current Year: 2004

Month: April

2 Weeks is 1 Month
Next Month: 28/04/2024

OUR STAFF

Administration Team

Administrators are in-charge of the forums overall, ensuring it remains updated, fresh and constantly growing.

Administrator: Jamie
Administrator: Hollie

Community Support

Moderators support the Administration Team, assisting with a variety of tasks whilst remaining a liason, a link between Roleplayers and the Staff Team.

Moderator: Connor
Moderator: Odinson
Moderator: Vacant

Have a Question?
Open a Support Ticket

AFFILIATIONS

RPG-D

[GA] Resolution on the Balkan conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan

Senior
Jul 1, 2018
“Furthermore, the ICJ is for international disputes. The war criminals of 15 years ago were domestic terrorists, fighting against their rightful government for an illegal secession.”

Joe

Junior
Aug 4, 2018
"When the General Secretary of this very Chambers declares that the General Assembly considers Kosovo to be a sovereign nation," Lieutenant Nguyen would say coldly. "it becomes an international issue and not a domestic one because you willed it. Your country has committed crimes against humanity by illegally invading a sovereign nation and executing it's heads of states. This is no action of a rightful government, but one hell-bent on committing acts of genocide."

Lieutenant Nguyen would turn to the rest of chambers.

"I implore you to look at this situation within the lens of reason. A sovereign nation, one that is recognized by the members of this Assembly, has been attacked and invaded... had it's leaders executed, and intends to resettle hundreds of thousands of it's own citizens within a sovereign nation. Might I remind these chambers that thousands of ethnic Albanians suffered under the hands of these same Serbians and that graves are still being found to this day!"

Last edited:

Moe

His Dudeness
Jul 2, 2018
From his office Brazilian Representative Juan Valdez laughs to himself while he watches the proceedings from the live feed on his office television.

"Lieutenant "No Plan" Nguyen."

Logan

Senior
Jul 1, 2018
“Those Governmental ‘leaders’ were the commanding officers of a terrorist group that killed 34 civilians, 10 if th cops, prior to the war even beginning. One of them had leaders of his own terrorist group assassinated They very much had this coming to them the same that Milosevic’s lackeys had it coming to them. Thankfully justice has been served.

Naio90

Federal Republic of Ethiopia
Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
"Considering the escalation of the conflict in Serbia, I urge the Secretary of the GA to take the draft to a vote before it gets more out of hand."

@Odinson

Joe

Junior
Aug 4, 2018
"Escalation of conflict? Of course, there has been an escalation of the conflict," Lieutenant Nguyen would say. "Serbia has invaded a sovereign nation, a nation that the General Assembly has recognized, a nation that the Secretary of the General Assembly himself has said that is recognized by the people of these Chambers. We cannot simply rush a vote because the people of Kosovo are reflecting what they wanted i nMight I remind you that the Serbian Union has broken human rights and are condemned by the very same document that you and I have agreed to? You only need glance at the document to see it before your eyes:

• CHAPTER 1, ARTICLE 10
    • (I) Every person is entitled in full equality to a FAIR and PUBLIC HEARING by an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of his Rights and Obligations, and of any criminal charge against him.
      • Broken by Serbia due to their closed, private trials by military tribunals in a biased court.
  • CHAPTER 1, ARTICLE 11
    • (I) Any person charged with a PENAL OFFENCE has the right to be presumed INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY, according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defense.
      • No defense allowed to be given to the Kosovar nationals. As stated by the Serbian government, they were considered war criminals from the start and simply executed in a kangaroo court.

"We, as a body, agreed that in that document, every Human being has a right to free choice and free conscience. Kosovo rightfully declared their independence, fought for it, and won it. This chambers has recognized Kosovo as a sovereign and independent nation... that same nation was invaded by Serbia and had its leaders executed in an illegal manner. Now, you wish to allow Serbia to have it's own way? To have what it so clearly want and gained with malovalent means? No, sir! That is morally wrong and I implore this body to continue to debate until we can find a solution that prevents Serbia from illegally annexing their own neighbors. We developed a comprehensive solution to the issue by giving the Serbian government a show of force of a coalition of this Assembly's nation states. To do otherwise is simply wrong and shameful."

Naio90

Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
"Kosovo is part of the Republic fo Serbia. Territorial integrity has priority over self-determination.

Also, the articles mentioned by the vietnamese representative are clearly meant or individuals, and not for states, which are completely different entities. Besides, there is no "kosovar" in terms of international law, there are only serbians.

Once again, I call for the Secretariat to vote on the only real proposal presented here that can avoid a war."

@Odinson

Joe

Junior
Aug 4, 2018
"Mr. Ambassador, I'm afraid you are incorrect here," Lieutenant Nguyen would respond. "In the words of the Secretary-General, in the words of my countrymen, in the words of Norway, in the words of Germany, in the words of the United States of America, in the words of yourself mere years ago, Kosovo is not a part of Serbia. Kosovo is it's own independent sovereign nation and therefore has the right to it's own self-determination. Moreover, it has a right to it's own territorial integrity. Those who believe otherwise are in the minority. Just because it is the opinion of your country that Kosovo is not an independent nation does not mean you solely get to decide it's fate."

Naio90

Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
"It seems that there is no correct or incorrect here, but merely different points of views, and the Republic of Argentina believes firmly in his. And by no means are we trying to impose "solely" our position, but proposing to apply democracy and vote here to see what its best, what the majority of the GA's members believe is the best course of action. Including the opinions of Brazil, Japan, Thailand and many others."

Joe

Junior
Aug 4, 2018
"There is a correct, Mr. Ambassador. There are no points of view. This General Assembly, as stated by the Secretary-General, sees to it that Kosovo is a sovereign nation. That is not a mere point of view. That is a mere fact. Your country has a different opinion, but that does not change the fact that the General Assembly considers Kosovo to be it's own independent nation. How can we consider ourselves a democracy when we stomp on those who exercise their own democracy, rightfully and legally? How can we consider ourselves a democracy when we endorse and allow people to execute democratically elected leaders without a fair trial? There are certain rules that separate man from beast... in these chambers, we have a nation that has trounced on all those rules that we hold dear, and your proposal asks us to allow them to walk away and endorse them?"

Lieutenant Nguyen would shake his head. "No, sir. This resolution does not work. We cannot endorse the actions of Serbia because those actions are wrong, shameful, and against what this Chambers stands for. We must immediately move to a show of force against Serbia in order to evict them from the free country of Kosovo, who this Assembly has determined to be free and stands by the notion that it is free."

Naio90

Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
"I see you have a rather simplistic and totaliarian view, as you cannot see how such a diverse group of nations can have different points of view. Neither Argentina nor Vietnam have the monopoly of the truth. I would recommend you to be more humble.

The General Assembly will consider something based on what the nations that compose it say, the majority of them, as the GA is not an entity on itself but rather a democratic expression of the international community.

Why do you fear voting on the presented draft? If you are so sure about the rightfulness of your nations position, then surely the rest of the international community will accompany your negative vote.

Finally, we are not endorsing Serbia's use of the force, and thats why we proposed financial sanctions against them and the creation of a Fund to guarantee the development of Kosovo, but we stand for the principle of territorial integrity and against the possibility of some nations dismembering others jsut becuase they want to.

Finally, I would like to invite you, Mr. Ambassador, to stop blowing the horns of war and calling for a crusade that will leave hundreds if not thousands of dead."

Joe

Junior
Aug 4, 2018
"I ask you to listen to yourself, Ambassador," Lieutenant Nguyen would respond coolly. "This Chambers has determined rightfully that Kosovo is an independent nation. That nation has existed for 20 years and has fostered it's own culture, it's own society, it's own government, and it's own people. Now, when one country comes in and decides to annex it for the sake of nationalism, you and your bloc simply wish to allow it to happen. Might I remind you that Serbia was ready to blow the horns of war, as you say, and conduct a military operation that was bound to leave hundreds dead had it not been for the complete paralysis of the sovereign Kosovar military?"

"Might I also remind you that their campaign has already left a death toll? They have abducted democratically elected leaders and put them in front of a firing squad, shooting them like a common dog. Are you so ready to abandon the people of Kosovo? I do not fear voting on this presented draft,, Ambassador. I fear an unjust world. What will this leave for the Falklands Islands, I wonder? Will your forces march on the Brits for the sake of territorial integrity? Are you so willing to open Pandora's Box, where countries with long-dead claims can call for war? Do you not know what can happen from this horrible, horrible mindset of territorial integrity trumps all?"

"South Korea, North Korea, Catalan Islands, Fergana Valley, West Bank, Israel, Dokdo, Ukraine, Isla Aves," Lieutenant Nguyen would rattle off the names of only a small fraction of disputed territories. "By endorsing the idea of territorial integrity instead of self-determination, you open the door to allowing other nations to create war to seize their own territorial claim and keep their country solvent. To create more death, more harm, then if we had gone otherwise and simply ended the illegal Serbian occupation outright. By showing the world that territorial integrity reigns supreme, we cause more harm than good."

"Ambassador, I admit, I blow this horn. I call upon this Assembly to observe Kosovo's declared independence as lawful and right. That it is a sovereign nation not because it is beneficial to me, but because it is beneficial to the people of the world. We have the right to choose where we wish to go. To America, they had the right to choose to break away from the British. To your country, they had the divine right to emancipate against the Spanish crown. To my own country, we had the right to declare our own destiny away from France. It has been that way for centuries where we figure out our place in the world and how we wish to carry out our destiny. Who are we to choose otherwise for Kosovo when they have rightfully and lawfully done so in the eyes of this Assembly? When they have established themselves as a state, why should we have to review it once more?"

Naio90

Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
"First of all, I would like to invite you to focus on the present issue, and stop recalling back other conflicts which have no business here.

Secondly, IF Kosovo has somehow existed as an independent nation, its not only far less than 20 years, but also under a de facto state, lacking any legal background. And this is no long-dead claim, but a very present one.

If there have been war crimes committed at some point, its up for the ICJ to investigate, but we are not here today to debate that.

I don't think any of us will convice each other from their positions, as we have very opposed views on this matter. We have our view, you have yours, I don't see the point in furthening the debate between us. Let's move on and decide by vote."

Joe

Junior
Aug 4, 2018
"These are not previous conflicts but they certainly do have business here, Ambassador." Lieutenant Nguyen would say sharply. "Setting a dangerous precedent such as this where a country can simply waltz into an established, independent, and sovereign country's territory, annex it, and have the international community not blink an eye because of the sake of territorial integrity. I ask this Assembly to think on that, about what danger it possesses and how astoundingly asinine it is that a country that violates human rights and has been documented already violating human rights can simply be allowed to keep it's gains because of 'territorial integrity'. Are we going to determine is a state is sovereign or independent because it's borders look aesthetically pleasing and territorially integral? Where do we draw the line? Can a country push it's claim for 20 years or 300 years? Can Spain march on Argentina and take it because it was a colony? Can Britain have a casus belli on the United States because it was once a British colony and Britain seeks territorial integrity? Your ideas make no sense."

Lieutenant Minh would arise to his feet, adjusting his Navy Dress Blues. "You are so eager to take things into vote without considering all sides. I have given you facts, I have given you examples, I have given you reason. Kosovo has been determined by the majority of this Assembly to be a sovereign, independent nation. The General-Secretary has sat in that honorable chair and told to your face that Kosovo is an independent nation. You have sat in previous chambers and determined Kosovo to be an independent nation. You do not get to merely play God and 'willy-nilly' with a country made up of almost two million souls, sir. You do not get to say "you're independent" and months later, withdraw it and allow a country that has violated human rights to keep that country. No, sir. That is unethical and wrong."

"It has been put to rest that Kosovo has been an independent nation. It has existed as one and it's status as one can be put into question because of neither time constraint nor another country's will. Is there an expiration on sovereignty now? Will my fledgling government have to abdicate to France once more because it has only existed for less than a year? Will the United Republic of China be forced to abdicate it's lands because it has existed for far less than Kosovo? Think on your words, Ambassador."

Lieutenant Minh would turn to the remainder of Chambers.

"Kosovo is a sovereign nation and this Assembly has seen a sovereign nation invaded by a power who has committed human rights violations. Let us find a solution to expel the Serbian Union from their illegally-gained territory and save the innocent souls of Kosovo."

Naio90

Contributor
Jul 1, 2018
"Colonialism has nothing to do with territorial integrity. We interpret this discussion as over, and will refrain from further comments until we move forward to a vote or we see a different interpreter at the floor.

We take note of your position, and respectfully reject it."

Joe

Junior
Aug 4, 2018
"As a final note," Lieutenant Nguyen would say, arising once more to his feet to speak to the rest of the Assembly. "Allow to me to illustrate the Argentinian's point in hand of so-called territorial integrity using Argentina as an example, since they choose to no longer make any comments. Today, I recognize the Republic of Argentina as a sovereign, independent, nation... as this Republic has since it's conception. Yet, tomorrow, if Argentina was hypothetically invaded and lost in an unjust and uncalled for war with it's predecessors, Spain, I may simply walk into the Assembly and allow Spain to keep it's newfound territory because it was it's own territory in the first place. As a matter of fact, I may say that I have changed my mind and no longer recognize Argentina and have never recognized Argentina as a sovereign nation, putting Spain further in the right. It doesn't matter what I said before because I changed my mind. No matter that Argentina has a Declaration of Independence, a Constitution, it's own Military, it's own culture, history, society, and Government. No matter that the majority of the world recognizes Argentina, or the General Assembly. That does not matter because I do not recognize it anymore. I do not recognize it. Therefore, I'm right... and by extension, Spain is right."

Lieutenant Nguyen frowns at the rest of the Assembly.

"I don't need to have perfect vision to see something personally wrong with that statement. That is what we see here with Kosovo. A sovereign, the independent nation has been invaded by it's neighbors, and for the sake of convenience and not what is morally right, or wrong, we have countries in this Assembly that retract their own statements regarding that Kosovo's sovereignty because it is convenient. Territorial integrity? Do people no longer have a right to determine their own government? Do people no longer have any right to self-determination? Do the people of the world no longer matter? Moreover, does sovereignty no longer matter? If I have a claim on your territory, can I simply go to war and claim it outright because I wish to be territorially integral? The answer to that is no. It's simple hard reason."

Dutchy

The Netherlands
GA Member
Jul 1, 2018
Dutch GA Representative Stefanus van der Laar would be late to arrive. After taking his seat an aide would hand him the transcripts of the debate, allowing the Representative to catch up. Seeing the debate having split into two sides, namely the Argentinians against the Vietnamese, van der Laar would adopt the Dutch 'polder model' in an attempt to find a solution.

"Secretary General and honourable Ambassadors, my deepest apologies for my lateness. I see we've come to a standstill between the opinion of two major powers, the Kosovo situation is one which has been turbulent for decades, I hope we can finally bring the dispute to a close through a diplomatic method. This topic is one of the most controversial topics we can touch upon, territorial integrity is something which in my opinion is something difficult to describe accurately. If I were to follow the Argentinian argument I would come to understand that nations such as the United States or the Netherlands should never have been recognised as sovereign nations. Since Kosovo has had the ability to govern it's own region for many years and is recognised as a sovereign nations by a number of states the Serbian claim to the region is diminishing."

"While I would advocate for the two states to find the ability to live harmoniously in a multi-cultural society, to keep the peace a two state solution would allow each ethnicity the right to governance in their own interest."

Moe

His Dudeness
Jul 2, 2018
Juan Veldez would return from his office and enter the GA assembly chambers, sick and tired of the nonsense spewn by the Vietnamese.

"Vietnam's points are either nothing but hypotheticals, filled with historical references two to three hundred years in the past, that unfortunately do matter not at all much today.

Furthermore, instead of engaging in dialogue with other members they have from the onset, attacked those they had differences with pedantic ravings and condescending historical lectures.

And when asked about any substantiative plan, they could produce none. Zero.

Just grand gestures about a coalition.

But that is not the most relative point.

What is most relevant is that Vietnam came to the GA with multiple agenda's, neither of which were clear and attempted to put other countries on war footing, whom had previously stated they wanted to work the Kosovo problem out diplomatically just to serve their own agenda of peace through war.

It is countries like Vietnam that go unchecked in their rhetoric, much like like the Serbians they so much want to invade, that causes Brazil to contemplate why we are here in the first place."

Joe

Junior
Aug 4, 2018
The Vietnamese Representative, Lieutenant Minh Nguyen would raise to his feet to gladly respond to the Brazilian delegation. Despite the return of Representative Linh Mach from her private meeting with the Canadian government, she would officially hand over the reins to her young deputy due to his excellent handling of the situation by far.

"Mr. Veldez/Valdez," He'd say politely. "It is excellent for you to rejoin us in these chambers... I hope you have not scared your office staff by that event earlier where you screamed at yourself. Excellent points with the water buffalo, I assure you."

The Vietnamese delegation would ripple with laughter and Mach would elbow her deputy lightly, telling him to stay on point.

"Mr. Ambassador," He'd continue. "If there's one person who has done any 'attacking' here in these chambers, it is you. You have done nothing beneficial in these chambers other than act like a petulant child who throws temper tantrums, who has thrown insults front, left, right, and center, provided no reasonable action plan for these chambers, and also committing grand, dramatic gestures in an attempt to sway other countries. It didn't work, mind you. You have brought shame and dishonor on your host country. Regardless, I will respond to your points."

He'd turn to the rest of the General Assembly.

"I'd like to put the case of point of Vietnam coming to the General Assembly with multiple agendas. Allow me to disagree. It is the other side that has the agenda here in these chambers. By setting the precedent of territorial integrity, any nation that has disputed territory that has been somewhat politically "resolved" has a brand new claim on it. Nations will be allowed to conduct irredentism at will and go on that war footing that Representative Valdez/Veldez so moans about. By going against Kosovo and not allowing the precedent that Kosovo is a sovereign nation to stand, we simply cause more war and destruction for the world. Allow me to put modern cases in point that do matter in the today to the most vocal supporters against Kosovo. For example,

• Argentina: Despite being a settled issue through conflict, the Argentinian government will regain their claim on the Falklands Island and have a casus belli because of the precedent that we will set. This situation is eerily similar to the one that we have today.
  • Brazil: Despite being a settled issue by treaty, similar to Kosovo, the Brazilian government will be able to act on their claim of Isla Suarez, as well as the 80 other unclaimed island that border Brazil and Uruguay.

To say my nation comes here with the agenda," Lieutenant Nguyen would declare. "Is ultimately incorrect. It is the other's that come here looking to forward their own nations by playing sloppy chess and attempting to use issues like these as chess pieces. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a simple matter. A sovereign nation was invaded by a power that has conducted human rights violations. Why should we let that nation go free? We fully support the Dutch ideas of a two-state solution to this issue as Kosovo had already been settled years ago."

Logan

Senior
Jul 1, 2018
"The Facts are simple: NATO illegally, under the advisement of a racist secretary of state, backed the bid for independence by a terrorist group, that started by bombing police station and Serbian villages, that killed thousands, and that, after they had succeeded in pushing Serbian police forces out, evicted 200,000 ethnic Serbs, putting Serbia in the untenable position of housing the largest number of Internally Displaced Persons in the whole of Europe. My nation cannot, and will not, accept their mistreatment to continue, and those 200,000 Serbs will be allowed to return to their homes, no matter the cost, no matter the deliberations of international bodies."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaiser Willheim II